Big Bang Theory March 22 2010

He said people took the professor’s work for granite

But Sheldon isn’t a real physicist. He’s a theoretical physicist. Probably doesn’t even know what a barometer is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Duh.

I had to do it quietly to myself, though, because my wife was sleeping. Probably for the best; even after 17 years together I sometimes shock her with how deeply I can draw from the geek well. That could have been one of those moments.

Granted sounds like granite.

I was wearing size 1,000,000 pants.

Oh yeah. I loved that line, too. Very Sheldon. But you know, he’s not crazy - his mother had him tested.

So, I got a copy of Mad Magazine…AND THE BIG BANG THEORY is spoofed! I was laughing so hard in the tub that my dad asked if something was wrong. It’s the May issue if anyone is interested.

Mad Magazine still exists?

I didn’t love this episode, it was funny but seemed contrived and forced. I don’t think Sheldon would act like that when drunk, unless his normal personality is “faked” to some extent.

I wouldn’t argue too long with someone who said that Sheldon getting drunk and making a fool of himself is a sit-com cliché that’s pretty long in the tooth, but I still enjoyed it.

The episode was obviously a vehicle to show Jim Parsons’s acting ability. I use to wonder if he was like Sheldon Cooper.

I love how Penny got him drunk. Such sweet revenge for the crap Sheldon has given her over the years.

The ending was very weak.

OK you have Sheldon, aways funny = good thing.

So here we have Raj a guy who is so shy he can’t speak in front of a pretty woman. How does he solve it, ALCOHOL. Now the writers say…Let’s think…

OK let’s have Sheldon solve his nearly identical problem of being unable to speak by drinking too.

Wow, heavenforbid we think of something clever.

We’ve seen Penny get Sheldon drunk before, so she comes off as a bitch for no reason at all. Why? Was she upset that Sheldon was trying on suits. If I was her I’d be more concerned that she was reacting to Sheldon’s awful suits as if she had no idea what he was taking into the dressing room. Obviously she wasn’t paying any attention, if he could grab suits and walk into the dressing room, she’s standing directly in front of.

Sheldon says the alcohol isn’t having an effect so Penny, instead of saying, “just give it a minute,” gives him another drink. Considering Penny is a waitress you’d think she’d know alcohol doesn’t have an immediate effect.

While the reaction was funny and explains Sheldon’s social development stopped at age 6, which is similar to Beaver when he went with Wally and they bought an awful suit in the 50s.

At the end you have Leonard who by remarkable co-incidence is introducing his friend. I guess they asked him as Sheldon has no other friends.

OK so Leonard instead of introducing Sheldon starts rambling for no reason, like a crazy person. Perhaps Sheldon takes crazy pills and Leonard got into them? And why didn’t any of Leonard’s friends at the table attempt to shut him up. Penny, his girlfriend and soulmate was too busy trying to get Sheldon drunk.

Then Sheldon goes up there and makes an ass of himself. OK this is funny but not logical. What did all his friends say, “Gee Sheldon’s making a jackass out of himself, that’ll help him get tenure and respect from the staff of the university which is giving him the award.”

Worse yet in a room full of univeristy educated professionals, Sheldon is allowed to go up to make a speech with a bottle in hand.

OK Sheldon was funny, but the set up was so lame. It’s weak writing from writers who with maybe 5 minutes of efforts thought of a good ending.

Fine Sheldon was funny, but that’s besides the point. Sheldon isn’t a stand up. I love when Sheldon makes the very tame racist “Just the Asians.” OK a tall, thin guy, doing stand up stick making a racist comment. Just like, another tall, thin guy…Hmmm

Not very racist, unless one substitutes, “just the blacks” or “just the jews” and it seems more offensive.

Then in the morning, we see Sheldon in a remarkably pressed suit coat, considering he slept in it. Or perhaps he didn’t and put the coat on to come out. Fine, but why wouldn’t he put on his pants as well? Because a tall thin guy in briefs is funny, while Sheldon in boxers would not be.

So we have Sheldon sporting an alarming receding hairline, (at least now we know why his hair looks like it’s painted on) and he isn’t even the least bit upset his friends not only love his embaraassment they put it on the Internet. Heck it wasn’t enough to passively sit by and let him make an ass of himself and hurt his career, now they are actively hurt him. And Sheldon doesn’t care. I guess he’s still hungover at this point.

End result is a funny episode that was horribly weakly written at the end.

If you want to do the “Jim Parson Show.” fine, but this episode looked like the writers said, “I bet Sheldon would look funny in briefs.” Then another writer said “let’s make Sheldon a stand up comic.” So they took those two ideas and worked backwards?

I know it’s TV and the end was funny but the writers are capable of a much better and realistic ending. You can see how well written it is right up to the end. You can imagine when the massive ego of Sheldon compels him to write about it on the Internet, presumably to be read by one of the 212 friends he has on MySpace. Now wonder when Leonard says “But you never met any of them” Sheldon is pleased. If his real life friends are that bad, no wonder Sheldon likes his cyberbuddies more.

Another vote for “very disappointed” here, despite a few good bits.

First, to me a strength of the show has been that as extreme as he is portrayed Sheldon is generally believable and consistent; many of us have known people like him, whether they get labelled as Asperger or not. Sheldon telling jokes, that made sense, (the neutrino joke for example), just because he had just drunk a few glasses of wine a few minutes before? Hell, even losing inhibition that fast is too much to swallow, but I could live with that. But the real world Sheldon’s I’ve known wouldn’t be funny drunks; they still don’t get jokes and can’t tell them. They’d just get more overwhelmed…

Second, another strength is the dynamic: Sheldon’s friends, especially Penny, may get annoyed by Sheldon, but they still care about him. Penny understands that Sheldon is disabled in very real ways to as great of a degree that he is gifted in others. She had gone out to buy him clothes with a real intent to help him. Penny having glee at having caused Sheldon to humiliate himself so horrifically and potentially seriously harm his career, just doesn’t fit.

I finished this ep thinking that this may have been BB’s jumping the shark.