Big Bang Theory to End After This Season

I read it’ll be the longest running sitcom, which doesn’t seem right. Surely something ran longer… Ozzie and Harriet? Or am I confusing when seasons used to have a lot more episodes so even though BBT might only have 20 to say Dick Van Dyke’s 30+, it’s been been on the air so long it surpasses even stuff like that?

Anyway, even if that stat was wrong, it sure feels like it’s been on too long. It’s not completely unwatchable, but it’s just barely slipping under that limbo pole for me. I can stick it out for one more year, I think.

Not necessary. They could just weave it into an episode.

It’s the longest-running multicamera series in television history.

Many ran longer, but you have to define 'sitcom":List of longest-running scripted American primetime television series - Wikipedia

Ozzie and Harriet ran for 14 seasons and 435 episodes, TBBT has no chance of matching that number of episodes.

The Jack Benny Show lasted 15 seasons. Ozzie and Harriet ran 14 seasons. My Three Sons also ran for 12 seasons.

Those are just the sitcoms. Multicamera also includes soap operas, game shows and variety shows.

It could be arguable whether Jack Benny was a sitcom, since it was sort of a blend between that and a sketch/variety show. Also, the first three “seasons” only had from 4 to 8 episodes. But the other two were definitely sitcoms.

I concur. Jack Benny had elements of both.

TBBT might beat My Three Sons for seasons, or match it, but they wont come close to episodes, imho.

I liked the tune for My 3 Sons.

And just as that happens, Penny and Leonard; and Amy and Sheldon move out of the building, so the elevator repair does them no good.

As much as I like the show, I think that it’s time to end it. It began with a great premise: four nerds who aren’t great with women, and how they deal with the blonde bombshell across the hall. Now, it’s “Friends,” only instead of hanging out at a coffee shop, they go to the comic book store.

It must be harder to invent stories for “older married people”. Nobody can go off and bonk Lesley Winkle (except Raj and Stuart, maybe) or have embarrassing dating outings.

Marriage is EVIL! :mad:

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet and My Three Sons were single-camera shows:

I don’t know if The Jack Benny Show was a single-camera or a multicamera show. Can anyone find a definitive statement one way or the other? I was only quoting what it said in a slew of recent announcements about The Big Bang Theory, which was that it will be the longest-running multicamera show.

It’s good that they end it - I never caught up with the recent Seasons, but no creative Team can come up with good stuff forever.

Excellent. The series is still good, but it’s down from its fantastic beginnings.
I hope that in this last season Leonard discovers lactase pills.

I also hope they don’t make Raj (or Stuart) gay/bi just because “gay.”

No. Stuart should get together with that girl he’s got working at the comic book store. They would be great running it together.

Raj should get together with that HR lady from the University. :smiley:

I feel a bit guilty wanting everyone paired up. In real life, not everybody does. It’s not very realistic. Still.

I would be fine with Raj/Stuart coming out, even though it’s a bit cheap to do so in the very last season. And I also would love for all of them to go into a happy ending - that’s what I come to Family Sitcoms for, to feel happy. That’s why the HIMYM finale still stinks, even though it was brave to try something new.

The ending of last season’s young Sheldon had present day Sheldon’s voice over saying “I’ve made contracts with everyone in my life. My roommates, my wife and yes, even my children.”

Obviously, Shamy are getting pregnant!

I still love this show but, yeah, it’s that time. Love the idea of the elevator being fixed once the move out. I envision a hilarious scene of Sheldon and Leonard moving something huge (a TV? A sofa?) down the stairs and after a whole episode of slapstick and hijinx they finally get it down to the lobby just in time to see the repair man hit the button and the door opens.

There have been some touching later season episodes…the one where Sheldon finds an unopened letter from Howard’s father, the last dinner of Howard’s mom after Carol Ann Susi died, Bernadette feeling ambivalent about having a baby. I am tired of Raj meet a cute girl/start off too heavy/scare her off routine. You’d think he’d have learned by now.

He just hasn’t met the right one. That redhead liked him, but he wasn’t as keen on her. Maybe he should get an online profile, it worked for Sheldon…

Okay, I finally understand CBS’ boast. TBBT was the longest-running sitcom that was filmed in a traditional studio format using the multi-camera technique pioneered by I Love Lucy.

It seems to be a rather narrow boast to me (The Jack Benny Program varied between one-camera and multi-camera setups depending on the season; some critics consider All in the Family/Archie Bunker’s Place to be one continuous show with two titles, etc.) - but okay.