Big Lebowski Music

does anyone know the song that’s playing in the background in the bowling alley when Walter pulls the gun out on smokey?

It’s been a while since I saw the movie, but is it the Spanish version of Hotel California?

“…Quiero un cuarto en el Hótel California…”

I have no idea where this song is played but when I heard it I instantly dled it. It’s “I just wallked in (to see what condition my condition was in)” by believe it or not Kenny Rogers. Awesome song if thats the one your talking about, and even if it’s not.

The Fifth Dimension, not Kenny Rogers, although he was the singer in the band. “Just Dropped In (TSWCMCWI)” is also the song played during the bowling-with-Maude fantasy sequence.

The Spanish-language “Hotel California” is playing during the slow-motion scene of Jesus licking the ball and bowling a strike. That’s a couple scenes after Walter pulls the gun on Smokey for going over the line and not marking it as a foul. As far as I remember, there is no song playing when Walter threatens to shoot Smokey.

Just saw the flick for about the tenth time at a midnight showing a couple weeks ago. Best Coen brothers movie ever.

“Huh? No! What the fuck are you talking–
I’m not–
we’re talking about unchecked aggression here–”

:slight_smile: that, and the line where brandt somehow says"without the necessary means for necessary means for a higher education" Amazing.

ROFL! That’s Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, not Fifth Dimension.

I bet you know all the words to “The Gambler” too, right? :slight_smile:

songs on the big lebowski cd from www.cdnow.com:

1. The Man In Me - Bob Dylan Dylan 3:08

1. Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles - Captain Beefheart Captain Beefheart 2:54

1. My Mood Swings - Elvis Costello Costello/ORiordan 2:10

1. Ataypura - Yma Sumac Vivanco 3:03

1. Traffic Boom - Piero Piccioni Piccioni 3:15

1. I Got It Bad And That Ain’t Good - Nina Simone Ellington/Webster 4:07

1. Stamping Ground - Moondog With Orchestra Hardin 5:16

1. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - Kenny Rogers And The First Edition Newbury 3:20

1. Walking Song - Meredith Monk Monk 2:55

1. Die Tote Standt - Gluck Das Mir Verblieb Korngold 5:07

1. Lujon- Henry Mancini Mancini 2:38

1. Hotel California - Gipsy Kings Felder/F/H 5:47

1. Technopop - Carter Burwell Burwell 3:21

1. Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt Jagger/Richards 4:47

I don’t know the answer to the OP, but an interesting bit of related music trivia is that Smokey is played by Jimmie Dale Gilmore, a wonderful musician from Texas. He’s one of the “founding fathers” of what’s now called Alt-country. Definetly give him a listen!

Just Dropped In; played in the 2nd Dream Sequence
Hotel California; played at Jesus Quintana’s Intro

There is a song being played in the background (like over the bowling alleys loud speaker) when Walter threatens to shoot Smokey. and it’s not on the soundtrack.

Oh it wasn’t the Kenny Rogers part that was so funny, it was the Fifth Dimension that cracked me up. That’s like saying Jim Morrison sang with the Corrs. (Name is similar, but a bizarrely different style of music.)

Joshmaker, thanks for that rundown, I always wondered who did that version of Hotel California.

Does anybody have any idea why The Dude hates The Eagles? Is that just one of your typical Coen brothers ironic things?

[quote]
Does anybody have any idea why The Dude hates The Eagles?
[/quotes]

Well, have you ever heard them?

Seriously, I checked out the end credits, and these are the songs that are mentioned there that aren’t on the soundtrack and that I can’t say 100% are not the song in that scene. I don’t know which, if any, of them are the one playing in the background of that scene.

“Behave Yourself,” by Booker T. and the MGs
“I Hate You” by the Monks (? Hard to read on the TV screen)
“Mucha Muchacha” by Esquivel
“My Mood Swings” by Elvis Costello
“Oye Como Va” by Santana
“Peaceful Easy Feeling” by The Eagles
“All through the Jungle” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
“Walrus Song” by Meredith Monk

My guess is that it’s the second one, “I Hate You,” by the Monks. The song in that scene, from what I could hear, sounded vaguely punkish, and the title “I Hate You” sounds vaguely punkish. Don’t know if that’s the right answer, but it’s the best answer I have.