Big rich companies doing wrong by their employees, customers or other stakeholders during COVID-19

Double Post

So if the policy when you buy the ticket is that you get a refund upon cancellation of a flight, you really think that its fair that they change their policy later on retroactively?

Apparently American Airlines is not screwing their passengers.

United is.

United is letting me change without penalty as well but for when? When will travel be OK again?

Without knowing all the details, if you were really supposed to get a refund, then it sounds like the best course of action is to keep pushing back on United.

Korean Air is not penalizing passengers either.

Airlines are supposed to issue refunds.
Apparently the United policy wasn’t a United policy it was a Department of Transportation regulation.
Still have not received refunds on any of my tickets with United.

Concert fans are getting the finger from SURPRISE SURPRISE: ticket brokers.

Ticketmaster and StubHub: DO THE RIGHT THING. People need their money right now:

https://www.mcall.com/news/nation-world/ct-ent-canceled-concerts-canceled-refunds-20200409-vuihm7xqrvfh3gxqbrnjugj5pu-story.html
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does not shock me at all. Many years ago I worked at TicketBastard. Had a phone call with a woman clearing up her dad’s estate after he passed. She had discovered he had spent a significant chunk of money to treat his family to an expensive concert, asked for a refund. Manager got on the call, asked to speak with the purchaser. He’s dead. Go without him (like going with him was an option). No, the musician was his thing, not ours, we’re asking for a refund to help paying the expenses. After at least 20 minutes of going back and forth, a refund was denied. It was a sold out show, the tickets would’ve been gone in a heartbeat. But, no.
Then I got dinged because the call took too long.

I get the anger at TicketMaster, as they are the primary reseller. But StubHub is just an intermediary. If you buy tickets from someone other than the event organizer, you should know that you won’t get the benefit of the organizer’s policy.

Nothing says “Christian billionaire” like sticking it to the poor of the world.

Since this is the Pit: fuck you.

There is no reasonable way for any major airline to refund tickets right now. Every single one of them is doing everything it can to stay afloat…in these days of not being allowed to operate their business.

It is entitled dicks like you, that are trying to destroy industries.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk

Pretty sure that Delta CEO is giving up his salary as well as Marriott’s CEO.

Yeah, “nonrefundable, nonchangeable” has only gotten ever more nonrefundable and nonchangeable as time has gone by.

And it’s curious but just as I am often encouraged to have a cash reserve to take me through 3 to 6 months w/o being paid – and I usually do but the vast majority of the workforce doesn’t in their dreams have a single pay period’s extra reserve – how come these great businesses don’t themselves have that kind of reserve. Lesson to learn.

Oh, and about labor and payroll matters:

Incorrect.

Right.

Let’s go over it:

“Individual stimulus payment”: forindividual taxpayers (mostly in the under-$75,000 AGI brackets) whether employed or not or having any current tax liability or not. Explicitly not discountable against anything else the government has on you (except child support) and in your next tax return you will be credited for the amount you received so you don’t have be taxed on it (unless, like, your income jumps from under 75K to over 99K in which case what’s the problem). This is a one-time deal.

For a worker who LOSES their income - they are bona fide laid off/furloughed – there is the Pandemic Supplemental Unemployment Benefit, which is up to $600 per week above what they’d get from regular unemployment. This has a time limit, to July 31.

For the employer who keeps people on the payroll, there is an Employee Retention Tax Credit on their payroll tax; ** and** for midsize/small businesses a Paycheck Protection Program loan to cover up to a certain limit of that payroll, that will be condoned if they comply with the terms. This last program has had such high demand they’re already trying to round up another quarter trillion by month’s end.

For employers there is also a dollar-for-dollar credit (up to a varying ceiling per employee circumstance) for the now mandatory 10 day paid sick/family care leave under FFCRA.

These employer credits are available for the rest of the year.

So why did American refund tickets?

Tell you what, you send me $7,000 and you can have my united airline credits.

In the absence of a thread about corporations being nice, I’ll post two examples here:

We had a cruise booked on Viking. Their normal cancellation policy within a month of the sailing date is that you lose 75% of what you’d paid. First, they waived that policy and offered 100% refunds. Then, when they cancelled the tour, they upped that to: 100% in cash, or 125% in a credit on a future cruise.

My employer (I’m reluctant to name them but you would recognize their name) was planning a modest realignment, with a few jobs eliminated – including mine – in the next few months. Our CEO let it be known, quietly, that all restructuring would be on hold for 6 months because this is a terrible time to give people bad news.

So the Department of Transportation sent out a reminder that airlines have to issue refunds if they cancel flights.

Airlines like United responded by sending an army of lobbyists to the DOT.

This is idiotic bullshit.

If I paid for something and I can’t receive it because the person I paid is unable to give it to me (whether that is a good or service) then if they don’t return my money that is theft.

If it’s a hardship for them to not return my money for something they can no longer provide, boo-fucking-hoo. No reasonable person with two honest brain cells to rub together can justify involuntary charity toward a corporation.

If a person can’t take their flight and asks for a refund because of their personal circumstances, whatever those circumstances might be, I can see refusing to refund because there was a clause in the purchase saying no refunds. That’s not what’s happening; the airline is the one who is having to cancel flights, so they have no outs.

Eat a bag of dicks you dipshit. The fastest way to kill the airline industry is if they are allowed to say they can cancel your flight and keep your money, which is scam artist behavior. Nobody would waste their fucking money on an airline that pulled that shit and got away with it.

I have long had my doubts about either. I have this unsubstantiated feeling that most really rich guys are illusions of massive leverage, whose assets and wealth are heavily dependent on liquid capital. The old expression goes “Owe a thousand and the bank owns you; owe ten million and you own the bank”. The economy in general, AFAICT is a delightful pastry that is mostly air.

To be fair the airlines only got 50 billion dollars in the stimulus. This is only 3 months work of revenue. After you take out variable costs like payroll (they don’t pay flight crew much unless they actually fly; ground crew is currently running skeleton crews), fuel, food, gate fees, etc that let’s them stretch out that 50 billion part the end of the year. Airlines have significant fixed costs like payments on the airplanes but the majority of their expenses are variable.

So they get enough to keep afloat AND they get to keep my money? I think youre right. He should eat a bag of dicks.

Tim Martin, CEO of Wetherspoons - one of the biggest pub chains in the UK - has refused to pay any of his 40,000 staff, and stripped them of bonuses they’d already been paid (not sure how they could legally do the latter, but apparently they have). Staff will probably get furlough pay at the end of April, but that leaves them without pay for a month. It’s a hugely profitable company and most other similar companies are paying their staff - Martin’s claims that they can’t afford it are total crap.

Martin is well known as a total bastard in other ways, so it’s not entirely suprising.

Richard Branson is also coming under a lot of criticism for expecting his employees to take 8 weeks’ unpaid leave at the same time as asking for a government bail-out. His company is in enormous trouble, but he is a literal billionaire. I know that doesn’t mean he has billions in liquid assets, but he will have easily enough to personally pay his employees at the sick pay rate. He’s also been extremely unpopular for a while after suing the NHS for not letting him sell them overpriced services.

That sounds not just nice, but clever. I bet some customers will go for the 125% credit.