Bigotry is Alive and Well in Idaho

Actually, I’ve been trying to trade Idaho for PEI for years. The combination of wild water and hot springs in Idaho is terrific:

Now if we could only find someone to marry Anne of Green Gables.

My first thought is Clark Gable, my second thought is Carrot Top.

Is there any proof of these threats and letters? Usually the FBI investigates things like this, but no mention of it in the article. Any chance the guy is exaggerating a bit to get attention? Someone makes a crack at the general store and it turns into a death threat perhaps? I mean his 15 minutes of fame are long over- the bowl game was in January. Seriously.

As for Guy being racist- at least he’s honest- ten of thousands of members, and you can single out one who may be racist?

It is the home of Edgar J. Steele, and Mark Fuhrman.

It’s not the first state that comes to mind when I hear the word “tolerant”.

What do yo want, this to be the “out the racists” thread? What would be the point? There are a few who are quite vocal about their textbook racist beliefs who participate in most threads that involve race in some way. But use would official labeling of their beliefs be?

Not at all, I’m saying odds are there are hundreds of members who are racist or borderline racist, and Guy is just the only one who seems to be honest about it. Jus’ sayin.

Is it true that when leaving on his honeymoon, Ernie Banks said “Let’s play two”?

I dunno. Idaho has a history of being a magnet for white supremacists. From a 1995 article:

The Aryan Nations group has since been devastated by a hefty lawsuit but I imagine there are still enough of these idiots in Idaho to explain the death threats.

Heh, I guess I misread it. I also thought they were saying that there are racist dopers, because I had read it as “…racists on the board, who shall not be named, …”

Makes a lot more sense now, thanks.

Sure, but the issue is whether the threats in this particular case actually came from Idaho. This was a nationally-covered proposal of marriage, so bigots from anywhere could be to blame.

I must have been smoking something potent.

I thought I had read something that indicated the protests arose from a religious group, but in re-reading it it seems that my brain inserted that notion of its own accord.

So, in the words of Emily Litella, “Never mind!”

While I agree that it is likely, there was nothing in that article that the death threats were coming from whites objecting to a white woman marrying a black man rather than objections coming from blacks objecting to a black man marrying a white woman. Or a combination of both.

Again, I’ve only read that one short linked article, so I may be off base. And, again, I agree that it’s the more likely scenario. Just not the certain one.

Are you suggesting that the people making these threats aren’t bigots if they are black objecting to the white girls taking one of their fabulous black brothers? Because bigotry doesn’t belong to just us white folks.

Please give us any indication that the vast majority of the people who lived there welcomed these nutjobs.

So because the state may have a handful of nutjobs in it, the entire state deserves condemnation? Interesting logic.

I’ve lived in both Idaho and Maryland. I found much less racism in Idaho than I do in Maryland.

Can someone contact me privately and tell me what the “board that shall not be named” is? I’ve seen it referenced several times but I have no idea what it is.

Where did I say that they had been welcomed? I’m sure the majority of Idahoans don’t agree with the racists at all. (In fact, the last article I linked talked about how many Idahoans are disgusted by these groups.) But it only takes a few crackpots to send death threats, and there is certainly some evidence that Idaho has its share of racist crackpots.

Ergo, bigotry is alive and well in Idaho. Even if it’s only being practiced by a crackpot minority.

Nope. Where did I say that? Oh, that’s right; I didn’t.

Interesting anecdote. It hardly negates the documented presence of Aryan Nations nutjobs in Idaho.

Hey, I love Idaho. I saw a lot of beautiful scenery and met some friendly folks the times I’ve visited. But Idaho clearly has its share of racist whack jobs.

I’ll give you that. But why single out Idaho, since I’m sure every state has “its share of racist crackpots”?

Again, why single out Idaho? Every state has a documented presence of racist nutjobs. Is there any indication the death threats are coming from Idahoans, which then might make your comments a little more reasonable?

I haven’t heard diddly about this proposal since a couple of days after the bowl game ended. So I am assuming that since that time it has only been a local story, and thus would have incited the local racists.

I should also add:

Not every state holds a racism jamboree, as Idaho seems to.

Also, Georgia, to take but one example, is crawling with interracial couples. I can’t imagine any racist from here getting worked up enough about an interracial marriage in Idaho to send a death threat, when there are so many more examples of interracial marriage close at hand.

In Idaho, I’d imagine interracial marriage is less commonly seen, and therefore more likely to rankle the local bigots.

No, I’m suggesting that it’s interesting that it seems that most people here assumed which way the bigotry was going on no information. As a white guy whose non-white in-law family boycotted our wedding on racial grounds, I know all too well that it goes both ways.