Birthday Songs

So, today, I celebrate the anniversary of my arrival on this plane. A friend of mine sent me a Facebook post with the words, “They say it’s your birthday!” And now, of course, the Beatles and that song are stuck in my head. Prior to that, I’d been running through They Might Be Giants’ “Older” this week. I’ve yet to get Stevie Wonder’s “Happy Birthday” ingrained yet, but the day is young.

So I ask you all: what other birthday songs are out there? Good, bad, ugly – whatever. I’ve got Spotify going, and I’m thinking of compiling a birthday playlist to run through today.

What have you got?

Happy Birthday by Altered Images.

You’re Aging Well by Dar Williams. Ignore the appallingly literal video.

Happy birthday! My birthday was yesterday. I listened to The Smiths’ Unhappy Birthday. :slight_smile:

“Unhappy Birthday” by The Smiths.

A friend also just suggested 50 Cent’s “In Da Club,” which had slipped my mind. Seven songs to listen to this afternoon!

I don’t know if this one is a real song, I learned it in Band back in the 80’s.

Happy Birthday. Oh Happy Birthday.
Pain and sorrow fill the air
People dying everywhere,
But happy birthday, Oh Happy Birthday.

Oh the years have come and past,
Who knows, this might be your last,
But happy birthday, Oh Happy Birthday.

A friend from this very board sent me a video of herself performing that song last year. :slight_smile: I have no idea what it’s called (Birthday Dirge?) or if anyone has professionally recorded it.

This isn’t a song, but it’s fun.

“Happy Birthday” by Weird Al Yankovic
“Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary” by Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Beaten to it.

My birthday was earlier this month, and this thread reminds me that I forgot my traditional spin of the Residents’ “Birthday Boy.”

"Happy, Happy Birthday Baby" by the Tune Weavers.

“Happy Birthday” - Concrete Blonde

“Happy Birthday to Me” - Cracker

I’ve always heard it called the Birthday Dirge. If anybody’s recorded it, it’ll be a SCA / RenFaire band. There are a couple dozen verses to chose from (which you can find by googling) and it’s to the Volga Boat song.

Happy Birthday - Arrogant Worms

I will playing some of these tomorrow. Thanks!

I give you the Casey Jones birthday song, and only because it’s your birthday do I forgive you for getting that Beatles song stuck in my head. I had to “domo arigato, Mr. Roboto” it out of there :mad:.

it’s not my fault!!!

:smiley:

The Ting Tings also do a pretty cute version of Altered Images’ “Happy Birthday.”

How about this one from Garfield and Friends.