Black vs. White Service Providers

This gets back to the questions to the OP - How do you define “Service Providers”, and where are you observing this? Similar to New York, in Los Angeles, there is a large population of Non-White & Non-Black groups. It is quite a melting pot, and changes dramatically depending on if you are in Pasadena vs. East Hollywood vs. Downey vs. Calabasas, etc. etc. etc.

Beyond that, it’s not “Press 2 if you CAN’T speak English”. Where’s the divide supposed to be?

And I haven’t noticed much of a divide based on race or ethnicity, but I can say that the lower on the socioeconomic ladder someone seems to be, the worse the service tends to be, regardless of anything else. Of course in some parts of the country that tends to translate into a race/ethnic divide because race and socioeconomic status are very tightly coupled.

My wife always presses “2” as well and also finds that she gets connected quicker and gets better service. She’s a native Spanish speaker (so she’s not wasting anyone’s time looking up “My cable is out” in a translation guidebook) although she’s fluent in English as well.

I’m fairly sure it’s mi cabo es otro, in case anyone’s wondering.

Where, specifically?

If your experiences reflect a real trend (and not just, say, confirmation bias or treating anecdotes as data), I still wouldn’t expect it to apply equally to every region and type of municipality in the whole damn country.

But, this is a tobacconist’s!

I was basing mine on in-person, lower status service - 7-11s, counter service food, lower priced clothing chains - to filter out the expectations based on cost alone. (Hell, yes, I will get excellent service in Nordstroms’ independent of anyone’s ethnic heritage).

I thought this was about TV repairmen.

The people on the phone are all shitty at it. Of course I have no idea what color they are. Some of them speak good English, others not so much, but they are all terrible.

In person? I have not noticed a difference. Wait, I have. There are three levels of pedicures. The cheapest are I think Vietnamese. They are young, if they have licenses you don’t see them, the chairs vibrate, there is a strong scent of fake nail in the air, and they use a cheapo rose scented lotion on your feet and legs. But they provide good customer service. Best if they don’t try to talk to you because they’re hard to understand.

The next level, the providers are mostly white, speak good English and probably only English, the chairs are slightly higher grade and there aren’t so many of them in the room, but they’re still the type that have a well with jets in it for your feet to soak in. Slightly better materials. Slightly longer foot massage. You pay for it by hearing all about their latest problem although in fairness they invite you to share yours.

At the highest level, it will be a lounge chair that doesn’t vibrate, the provider will haul in a bucket of water, possibly even one bucket for each foot, she will be Russian and she will tell you everything you are doing wrong with your feet, and your eyebrows, and oh my god, you are still shaving your legs, instead of waxing, in 2018! These shoes are not good for your feet, and hope you got purse at TJ Maxx and not Nordstrom where you pay five times too much. While giving you an excellent foot massage and another woman behind you who is silent massages your shoulders. (And probably nods in agreement with the one doing your feet.)

Interestingly enough in this, the thing that I am most likely to think of as a service, there are almost no blaCk people providing the service, although they seem to be getting it in numbers completely in proportion to their incidence in population.

For those of you who think you’re getting faster service on the phone when you select Spanish, how do you know? The only way to clock this would be to have someone else on a phone right across from you opting for the English speaking person.

I have been to Russia. Young Russian women wear even more dangerous and damaging shoes than New Yorkers.

I assume it’s more of a perception over time. “When I’m on the English line, I usually wait 20min, when I’m on the Spanish I usually wait 10min”.

Hardly scientific but then there’s no cost to selecting Spanish anyway so why not.