BlackBerry Experts?

I know we do not do a lot of computer-stuff support. I managed to annoy the people at at least one BlackBerry support forum and would rather not show my face there again. or at least soon. (I seem to lack the people skills expected by pencil-necked BlackBerry geeks. Wonderful.)

I have a BlackBerry 8520. It came with French-language paperwork, and has a French-language keyboard layout. I smush the Q key and get an A. The A gives me a Q; and so on.

There must be a way to remap the keyboard or to select the standard English QWERTY board from some sort of menu.

Little help?

I also have the 8520, fantastic device. You can switch between INSTALLED languages by hitting alt+enter. But of course you probably can’t trust the French to install English as well. Do this by running your Desktop Manager with the device plugged in, and navigate through the Add Software functions. You’ll see a bevy of language options. If not, download the English OS pack from the Blackberry website.

Unless you’ve already burnt your bridges there, I’d strongly suggest signing up with the lads over at CrackBerry.com

Happy Berrying.

Alt plus Enter locks the device.

Desktop Manager is somewhat terra incognita to me. There is no big shiny button called “Add Software.” When I search for “Add Software” in the search thingee, I get nothing. Please type slowly as I am an Old Person.

Plug in BB, wait while updates upload, then do what exactly?

OK, so while awaiting help, I am on the App World and trying to download a random free app.

I’ve warned the public before about those frenchies.
Nobody listens.

If the 8520 has the function to switch from AZERTY to QWERTY it should be under Setttings: “Keyboard/Screen” or “Options…Language…Keyboard”

The ability to do this varies among the different BB models and I don’t know what the case is for the 8520. I use a Bold 9000 and I don’t have Keyboard Layout as a menu item. I don’t think switching languages helps, but I deleted all my non-English languages so I can’t test that personally.

Here’s a sample relevant thread.

Why not try posting your question to BB support directly?

I thought I had accidentally fixed it, I somehow downloaded a new version of the OS and when all was said and done, ended up setting personalization stuff (time zone and all) again. My language options were English and Arabic. I selected English… and I still have the same problem.

I thought I done it. Bummer.

OK, once I disconnect my BB, how do I get to options …language … keyboard? Hit the BB Key and get to the menu page and select something called options I suppose. Stand by…

OK, so I managed to (somehow) reverse the text on my phone from black-on-white to white-on-black. It looks nice. But I have to change my wallpaper as the present one looks goofy with the colors reversed. I thought that was under “themes,” but for some reason I only have on theme in that folder.

If any Smart Person would like to talk to me privately, I would welcome a PM. I have a number of minor problems that are not of general interest.
(Why do I have a little icon saying I have three unopened messages? My Gmail and my BBM are both clear.)

If any Smart Person would like to talk to me privately, I would welcome a PM. I have a number of minor problems that are not of general interest.
(Why do I have a little icon saying I have three unopened messages? My Gmail and my BBM are both clear.)

The best I can find is the actual English instructions (PDF). It’s on page 160, if the link doesn’t automatically turn you there.

I also found someone who asked on crackberry, and they were told it was impossible to fix. But that seems so odd if the keyboard itself has the keys labeled the way you want them.

I bought the Kindle edition of BlackBerry Curve for Dummies, and am somewhat pleased. The publisher did a good job, the table of contents and the illustrations work and that is nice.

But the first, most critical set of instructions involve turning off “Dial from Main Screen,” by going to Options then General Options.

My Options folder has no General Options. I really need to hire a teenager.

Let me go to BigT’s link. THank you all.

Great now I have one slanted envelope and 3 straight envelopes indicating messages. They are not in Gmail, not in SMS and not in BlackBerry Messenger.

Did you change the “Input language” option or the (Display) language option on your Blackberry? If typing is the problem, you have to change the input language not just the display language.

I’ve got a Tour not a Curve so the display is probably different but you should have an envelope icon or an entry that says “messages.” It collects all your communications. Check there.

I fixed the envelope thing. New messages appear on the bottom of the list, not the top. Thank you.