Blame Canada/Rather et al.

Matt, seems to me this subject has come up before. Do you suppose there might some content in the observation that you engage in simplistic America-bashing often enough to be noticed?

And btw, your parentage is not an excuse - it does not address the observation. You’ve mentioned your mother choosing to leave the US for some reason - did you simply absorb an America-hating attitude from her growing up?

It’s a little sad to see someone who devotes so much of his life to fighting prejudice on other matters actually indulging it on another one.

But we love you anyway - remember that.

If you must know, my mom left the US to go to college, then chose to stay after she met my dad.

But leaving that aside, Pierre Trudeau once said that living next to the US is like sleeping with an elephant: no matter how placid it is, one is affected by every twitch and grunt. Right now it’s thrashing in bed, and I can’t help but be affected and hold an opinion. And believe it or not, being a foreigner, my opinion on your country/government/leader may be different from yours.

There’s a fairly vast gulf between being critical - even sharply critical - of the US’s actions and response, and the America-bashing you are imputing to me. I would like to know where you are finding hatred in the question I asked.