Blue light filter for eyeglasses?

Is this worthwhile or could there be a downside? I wear my glasses every waking minute.
My circadian rhythms are already messed up. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Many years ago I had a pair of glasses with a yellow tint that I wore for about 3 years. Every time I took them off, it was a bit of a jolt that the sky was blue and not cerulean. I can’t speak to the possible health aspects, but I’d never go back to tinted glasses.

I have glasses with a coating to reduce blue light. They have a barely noticeable effect on color. I would not describe them as yellow tinted, which suggests a stronger effect, even if it is technically true. Right now, inside in my office, I can’t actually see a difference.

My glasses were tinted, i.e. the colouring agent was in the plastic lenses, they were not coated.

Yeah, I was just suggesting that modern blue light filtering won’t look like that.

I have coated glasses that are supposed to block some of the blue spectrum coming from looking at a monitor for 8 hours a day. All I can say is that I used to have headaches every day after work, and these have now gone away.

I imagine that the technology has improved considerably since the early 1970’s when I had the yellow glasses. I dabble in backyard astronomy and bought a rather expensive coated filter several years ago to try to lessen the sky-glow from sodium vapor streetlights. It did help, but then my city switched to a different type of bulb. The filter looked transparent, the coatings were only apparent when looking almost sideways at it, and it didn’t noticeably tint things. I should have looked into the article given in the OP more thoroughly before posting.

Thank you for your responses! :slight_smile:

I got the blue light filtering for the first time on my most recent pair of glasses, and I am an enthusiastic fan of its ability to prevent headaches from screen use. They don’t appreciably change colors in the real world, but if I take them off for a second while I’m sitting at the computer, the light from the screen just jumps out at me, and I am glad to put them on again. So: highly recommended for anyone who spends a lot of time (by whatever definition) at a computer.

Roderick,

I spend all day on a computer, but I haven’t gotten any headaches. The glasses
are so expensive that I don’t want to make a mistake. :frowning:

I have a monitor that has blue light-filtering settings and I have noticed that I have a lot less eyestrain and potential headaches after long periods of being at my computer. It dulls the vibrancy of the image somewhat, but it’s a decent tradeoff when I’m just browsing or working.

My Dell All-in-one has that feature. I can adjust the intensity of the effect as well as control when it’s active. Currently it turns on at sunset and off at sunrise, but I can switch states anytime.

We are getting (for xmas) some blue light filtering clip-ons for my son’s prescription glasses. He’s a teenager and spends beaucoup time in front of a computer monitor or with a tablet in his face.

The hope is that he can get better sleep at night, i.e. have less disruption of his sleep cycle, where blue light, similar to sunlight, is blamed on that disruption. These clipons are just about $10 online so less worry about spending the money in case nothing happens.

In general I would avoid advice from a business on things like this.

So I found this from the American Academy of Ophthalmology:

There is evidence that some kinds of light exposure can cause eye damage under certain conditions. For instance, too much exposure to ultraviolet light from the sun does raise the risks of eye diseases, including cataracts, growths on the eye and cancer.

The amount of radiation coming from a computer has never been demonstrated to cause any eye disease. A study reprinted by the National Library of Medicine found no measurable UVA or UVB radiation from computer monitors. UV radiation is the most harmful part of sunlight for eyes and skin. The Radiation Protection Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology summarizes current research about computer monitors’ radiation by saying that “there are no data to suggest a health risk from exposure to the electromagnetic fields associated with the use of monitors.”

Long hours staring at digital screens can cause eye strain, and decreased blinking associated with computer use can cause dry eyes. But these effects are caused by how people use their screens, not by anything coming from the screens. SOURCE

Psychologists are still arguing about the efficacy of rose colored glasses.

My eye doctor recommended blue light blocking in my glasses (I wear them all the time) a few years ago. I didn’t notice a difference in anything. Except when light bounces off your glasses (such as in a selfie) it’s blue.

Last year he prescribed me computer only glasses which turned out were very beneficial to my eyesight. I had the blue blocking added to those only, and not in my new regular off-computer glasses.

Anyway so I notice no difference with the blue blockers after several years. I really like having computer glasses.

That’s all well and good, but I didn’t get the filtering on my glasses out of fear of radiation, and I think that’s kind of a straw man (i.e. how many people think that’s a solution, if they are worried about radiation?).

My glasses are provided by medical professionals. Nobody tried to sell me on the filtering, it was offered, cheap, and I accepted. Perhaps competing medical specialties are in play here, but I haven’t seen any commercial push for this filtering.

Why did you get it? Cheap is still not free.

I thought I was clear about that, I got it because I thought it would help with glare (blue light or otherwise) from the computer screen. And it has, as far as I’m concerned.

Where were you clear about that?