Bob Dole (was non-obit post, now RIP)

Done.

Sad to see him go but he did seem to be struggling so perhaps it’s for the bet. He was a good man with whom I would rarely agree. He was a member of a species now nearly extinct, a Republican who was not a fascist.

Yes. I never understood his tolerance of Trump.

Party loyalty, I would suspect.

You are correct. Bob Dole, above all, was a pragmatist. And supporting his party’s flagbearer was the best thing for his party.

My man was literally paid by the same Russian oligarch people today use to tie Trump to Putin, and he supported Trump, but people still comfortably talk about him like he was a legend because he came before Trump.

Politics is fucking weird.

No, more because he wasn’t openly an asshole and wasn’t completely incompetent. Trump set the bar so much lower.

Mitch McConnell isn’t incompetent, and he’s about as charismatic as Bob Dole. Maybe he’ll be good too by the time he bites it.

Dole supported the 1965 and 1982 Voting Rights bills and was a champion of the ADA.

Today, he would not get elected to any office.

I used to think he wasn’t an asshole.

He supported Trump and knew better, so he was in fact a monstrous asshole.

Rather than me providing the obvious rebuttal to what I think you mean by this, could you clarify what you think the significance of that is? He was in the House and the Senate for a long time and he voted on a lot of stuff.

Bob Dole was a true-red Republican, but he also voted for a lot of stuff that wouldn’t be supported by today’s GOP.

And he wasn’t an asshole like Trump. Or Cruz. Or Graham. Or McConnell.

Look, he was my Senator for about 100 years. And I never voted for him. But he at least earned my respect, which isn’t true of either of my current GOP senators, or any other current GOP senator.

I can see why someone from an earlier era might reach that conclusion. But, I think in the long term the whole “Trump thing” will be a disaster for the party. (I hope so anyway).

Even if he was right, I never thought he was the type of man who put party above country, and by supporting Trump, he did just that.

Maybe I’m mellowing as I age, but I’ll give him a pass about the whole Trump debacle and still consider him a decent guy.

Yeah, I would agree with this statement. Dole did some things I liked, and a whole lot of things I didn’t, including supporting Trump. But he was a decent man, and not an asshole.

IMO, not true in the case of Trump.

I disagreed with Dole a lot. But he was reasonably reality-based, and he did have some sense of honor.

RIP, Bob Dole. I’m pretty sure you thought you were doing the best that you could.

How do you reconcile these statements? No decent people support Trump. None.

I used to think he wasn’t an asshole. He supported Trump and knew better, so he was in fact a monstrous asshole.

This. Fuck him.

You are correct. Bob Dole, above all, was a pragmatist. And supporting his party’s flagbearer was the best thing for his party.

Putting party before country is the reason we’re in this mess. I hope he’s is toasting his ass in Hell.

I’m in agreement with @Procrustus:

And @thorny_locust:

Agreed. If Liz Cheney can make the decent choice, and pay the consequences, someone with no consequences to pay should have been able to make the same choice more easily.