Bob Grant is dead

Sweet Jeebus, Bob Grant is dead? I didn’t know he was still alive. Back in high school, I went through a long period where I was very wakeful at night, full of anxiety, panicking at every little noise in the otherwise silent house. I had a piece of shit radio that I used to turn on to provide some background noise in the vain hope of falling asleep. We lived in suburbs of nowhere, and WOR was one of the few stations that my radio could pick up reliably, and Bob Grant’s show was usually on during the hours when I was wakeful. I was sufficiently immature that I didn’t notice his outrageous generalization and use of stereotypes. Years later, I was surprised to realize what an asshole I’d been listening to.

I will never forget him yelling, “Get off the phone, creepola!” at a caller.

Damn, memory is a fickle thing. Grant’s first spell at WOR started in 1977. My period of sleepless nights must have started in middle school and gone on a while. Or maybe it just felt like it went on forever. The station must have recorded the afternoon show and re-run it at night as filler.