Bobby Keys Dead At 70

One of the greats. Rest in peace, Bobby, time to play Rip This Joint loudly in your honour.

Wow. I love all of his work, but his improv’d soloing out of **Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’ **is what is playing in my head right now. Thanks, Bobby.

He played on the Stones’ great streak of records, probably the sax player I’m happiest to hear. 70 is a good run for someone who hung out with Kieth Richards.
RIP, Mr. Keys.

I wonder, these days, who all remembers the name Bobby Keys? We should append the thread title to include (Rolling Stones’ Sax Player) - I bet it gets more traffic…

Great utility player and not just with the Stones ( Buddy Holly, Delaney & Bonnie, Joe Cocker, among others ). I seem to recall Joe Cocker on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen album introducing “Let’s Go Get Stoned” by saying that Bobby Keys had requested it :).

RIP Mr. Keys.

That’s his signature number for me as well. One of the all-time great session men.

Keef writes about him quite a bit in Life, iirc. He’s one of those guys who was iconic without being well-known. RIP.

And now it’s being reported that Ian McLagan has died as well. I saw both him and Bobby Keys playing with the Stones on their 1981 tour. RIP Bobby and Mac.

:frowning: Ian McLagan was awesome. A perceptive and down to earth guy who seems to have a good handle on all that fame and success stuff.

Oh no! One of my favorites. I’m crushed.

Damn. I loved him with both the Small Faces and the Faces. Here he is on Glad and Sorry.