Bohemian Rhapsody for the win!

Freddie did do some solo work (and work with other artists) during that timeframe depicted in the film – then again, Brian and Roger were both also doing much the same, and, unlike how it was depicted in the film, it didn’t involve breaking up the band, or putting the band on hiatus.

My strong suspicion was that Brian and Roger were all right with the creative license, so long as it told a good story, and so long as they felt it stayed true to the spirit of Freddie, and what the band was about.

No shit!

At the time, all my metal head friends were all “Is Adam Ant gay? I think he is gay!*”, and right there is Halford and no one even suspected. The only way the cover of Unleashed in the East could be more obvious is if it had a sign saying “I am most sincerely gay”. And we just thought it was “metal”.
*not gay

In terms of them playing Live Aid, too. I once heard Geldof say he was speaking with them and essentially blackmailed them to decide. He issued a release saying they were playing and dared them to say they didn’t want to play.

I don’t understand the Golden Globes. Bohemian Rhapsody is in the drama category and Vice was in the musical/ comedy category.

Ricard Madden winning over Matthew Rhys establishes the GGs as garbage. Madden might be a decent actor, but Bodyguard was awful. It started well which made the ludicrous, poorly-plotted, badly-written, and crappily-directed effluvium that ensued all the more bewildering. Did I mention that it really wasn’t very good?

The film got me and the wife and kids listening to old Queen albums even a month and a half after seeing it, so that says something. It would have been nice if they’d found a way to fit Mustafa in somewhere though.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a drama about musicians, it’s not a musical. Mary Poppins Returns, that’s a musical. Vice is more of a satirical dark comedy than a straight drama. I have no issues with either being listed in their respective categories, same with Green Book which has a lot of humor. Comedy doesn’t just mean slapstick & dick jokes.

The Golden Globes are crap. Look up how films win.

Green Book was RT 81% vs. Bohemian Rhapsody’s 62%. Objectively people think it’s better.

Hell Bent for Leather!

Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody definitely does not qualify as a musical. In a musical, songs advance the narrative, think something like West Side Story, or The Music Man (or that greatest of all musicals, Marge vs the Monorail).

BR brought in the two(!) Freddy solo albums, which somehow I’d never even heard of, but omits the Flash soundtrack. You’d thin doing a movie soundtrack would be at least worth a passing mention.

IN real life, I noticed that Bowie followed Queen at Wembley. It would have been cool if they could have transitioned between the two acts with Under Pressure! Start with Queen and end with Bowie.

Well, Queen didn’t play Under Pressure that day. The setlist went:

Bohemian Rhapsody (partial)
Radio Gaga
Hammer to Fall
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions

The also showed U2 coming off stage when Queen went on. U2 played earlier and Dire Straits played directly before Queen.

I’ll admit, too, that while everyone seems in love with Queen’s performance that day, it was U2 who stole the show for my money. Queen delivered what they do, a good solid performance designed to please the crowd and get some participation going. U2’s performance was transformative. I don’t know what world Bono was in during Bad but it wasn’t on this plane of existence. It was some place where singer and crowd become one.

I just meant they should have. Have a seamless transition from Queen to Bowie. But you wouldn’t get to give the big applause at the end - Queen would have just disappeared. I guess that wouldn’t really work.