Book/Article on theories of god given what we know about quantum mechanics/structure of universe?

Can anyone recommend any books or articles that speculate on the nature of god/mind/will based on what we know about quantum mechanics and/or the structure and nature of the universe? I’ve read “The Reflexive Universe” by Arthur Young wherein he makes a case for light being god and was interested in hearing other interpretations. I’m not interested in anything too new-agey though I understand any conclusions will be based on metaphysics. Thanks!

If light = god is ok for you then there’s probably isn’t much out there more new-agey.

Roger Penrose wrote a few books on the interplay between physics, mathematics and the mind. They were serious enough to elicit some feedback/criticism. Godel, Escher and Bach is an interesting read on mathematics, patterns and reality.

I could see if I can dig up my college research paper. In the meantime, check out The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. It doesn’t go into god stuff so much, but it’s a start.

In my experience, books that claim quantum mechanics can help us better understand the nature of God are always guilty of grossly misrepresenting or misunderstanding quantum mechanics. But if you don’t mind being thoroughly misled on the physics, then you should have no shortage of options.

Sorry if that answer seems unhelpful, but it’s the honest truth.

I read this book when I was a kid. My parents bought if for me because they thought it was a physics book. (I was reading lots of popular physics books at the time – “A Brief History of Time” and that sort of thing.) The author talks about all sorts of stuff like the afterlife and “seeing people’s auras” and whatnot. While he borrows some terminology from actual physics (e.g., the holographic principle), I now know that the physics he’s name-dropping doesn’t have a damn thing to do with psychics or reincarnation or anything like that. The author’s claims to the contrary are just nonsense.

It was a fun read when I was 11 and didn’t know anything, though.

Here’s an example of Talbot’s writing. He starts by talking about nonlocality, which is a real property of quantum mechanics, and then somehow ties this into a claim that a shaman could make a grove of trees disappear by performing a ritual dance. That’s not what nonlocality is about at all, and moreover such claims violate basic principles of physics like conservation of mass.

Very true. Even credible physicists like Bohm and Penrose seem to take giant conjectural leaps in order to justify their pseudo-theories of the philosophy of cognition and reality in relation to quantum mechanics.

QM is one of the few areas of science in which it is possible to differentiate between the crackpots and the brilliant minds only by assessing their mathematical aptitude…and sometimes not even then.

Stranger