Book Recommendations, Por Favor

Hidey-ho, Dopers. I am once again sans reading material and looking for some recommendations from the most diverse and widely read group on Planet Earth, which clearly is the lot of you. So please answer the following:

1. What is your favorite book of all time?

2. What is the title of the last good book you read?

3. What book would you recommend to others?

4. What book have you heard good things about but not yet read (if any)?
    Thanks ever so! :slight_smile:

1. Ulysses

2. Lolita

3. Lolita

4. Finnegans Wake

(I can’t help it, I’m a Joyce geek.)

*Vanity Fair

A Tale of Two Cities

The Truth*, by Terry Pratchett.

I’ve heard great things about an author named R. A. Lafferty, but I haven’t been able to get any of his stuff yet.

As a “great work”, Thomas Pynchon’s “Gravity’s Rainbow.” As a personally lifechanging novel, Douglas Coupland’s “Life After God.”

“Other voices, other rooms” by Truman Capote.

Any of the aforementioned; in addition, Haruki Murakami’s “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.”

1. What book have you heard good things about but not yet read (if any)?

Tom Robbins’ “Jitterbug Perfume.”

1. Favorite of all time – I’m 49 and have been an avid reader since I was 4. I could possibly get it down to a top 10. Maybe.

2. Last good – I can’t even narrow this down below two! I was reading Kim Stanley Robinson’s Years of Rice and Salt, which is wonderful, but paused when I was about 100 pages from the end to blast through Mark Haddon’s Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which is also wonderful in a completely different way.

3. Random recommendation – let me give you something no one else will mention: *Lady Audley’s Secret* by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. I like a good 19th-century novel.

4. Heard is good, haven’t read: Nothing comes to mind.

1. Favorite - To Kill a Mockingbird

2. Last Good - The October Horse, the last in The Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough; a fictional (but strongly based on fact) history of Rome through the death of Caesar.

3. Book to Recommend - typical “Ace in the Hole” books to recommend include Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami, Ender’s Game by O.S. Card (to non-sci-fi folks), Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis.

4. Books to Read - So many. Pepys’ Diaries, Montaigne’s Essays, Aurelius’ Diaries, Herodotus, Thucydides - basically a ton of classics, up through books by Henry James and Virginia Woolf.

1. Villette by Charlotte Bronte

2. The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

3. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

4. Middlemarch by George Eliot

The Canterbury Tales

1. What is the title of the last good book you read?

The Best Poems of the English Language, selected & with commentary by Harold Bloom

1. What book would you recommend to others?

The Best Poems of the English Language

You Remind Me of Me by Dan Chaon

Don’t have one, actually, but lately I’ve been pushing Don Robertson – The Ideal Genuine Man in particular. It’s a bit bleak (an aging couple in Houston in the 70’s) but very compelling

Still reading it – Ilium by Dan Simmons – very imaginative, exceptional character development

Anything by Don Robertson, especially Paradise Falls

1. What book have you heard good things about but not yet read (if any)

I have some books by David Richards Adams in the TBR, he’s Canadian, and I’ve been really happy with the Canadians I’ve read lately.

Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, Possession

Reading Lolita in Tehran. My bookclub just read it. We prepped for it (which I think was a really good idea) by reading Lolita, Great Gatsby, Washington Square, and Pride and Prejudice. Really a facinating book.

I try not to make blanket recommendations. Fiction? Non-Fiction? Tragic? Comic? Both? Need strong women characters? Popcorn or do you need to feel you’ve read something worthwhile? I’d recommend any of the above books, but I need to know you - the only one nearly universally accessible is To Kill a Mockingbird. (Knowing you a little, I think you’d like Reading Lolita in Tehran and wouldn’t find Possession unaccessible. And you’ve probably read Austen and Lee).

I’ve just started “Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons.” I have “Guns Germs and Steel” in my car. Heard good things about both of them.

Not too highbrow in my choices, I’m afraid…

Fave: The Stand by S. King
Last read: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe by Fannie Flagg - loved it!
Recommend: The above, and King’s Dark Tower Series, Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, plenty more, but I can’t think right now.
To read: None jumps out at me, but I might try Anna Karenina…

Fave: LOTR is up there somewhere, but not sure of fav.

Last Read: Dark Tower by S King

Recommend: Have to go with Dangerosa on this one I try not to make blanket recommendations
but its really good to see Murakami getting a mention. + anything by Philip K Dick

To Read: too many to list.

Urk. Probably either The Iliad or Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers

The Flower War, by Tad Williams.

The Hidden Land, by Pamela Dean.

Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

1. Favorite - East of Eden.

2. Last good book - Plato’s Republic.

3. Recommend to others - like I’ve been doing for the past few months, I’m going to go ahead and tell everyone that they need (need) to read Micahel Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

4. Heard good things - Thomas Wolfe’s books (I’ve only read The Right Stuff). Also on my docket are *Arrowsmith, Vanity Fair,*the Purgatorio, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Life of Pi…

Favorite: Probably The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth

I read only good books. :slight_smile: But I’d say either Terry Pratchett’s Going Postal or Christopher Moore’s The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror or Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

Recommend: All of the above, plus any of the Thursday Next novels by Jasper fforde or One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I haven’t gotten to The Well of Lost Plots or Something Rotten by Jasper fforde yet.

Hi-de-ho!!

LotR. (JRRT)

The curious case of the dog in the night-time. (Mark Haddon)

Neuromancer (William Gibson)

The seventh book of lost swords. (Fred Saberhagen)

Narrowing it to one is tough. Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children, Lowry’s Under the Volcano and Room with a View are all up there…

The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett

My standard answer is Atonement by Ian McEwan. Several good titles by Murakami have already been mentioned. Baltasar and Blimunda by Saramago

Although he’s one of my favorite authors, I’ve never read Russell Banks’ * The Sweet Hereafter*.

1. The Rolling Thunder series - Mark Berent

2. No idea. The last book I read was Mostly Harmless but it wasn’t all that good. :stuck_out_tongue:

3. Rolling Thunder, if the person asking likes military fiction.

4. I’ve been meaning to get My Father’s Gun: One Family, Three Badges, One Hundred Years in the NYPD.

This is actually hard to answer…too many good ones

1. The Illuminatus! Trilogy (Robert Anton Wilson)
    One of the few I’ve read more than once. It’s kind of eerie how it predicts certain events of historical consequence. Plus I know I’ve met a potential friend when I mention to an aquaintance that I’ve seen the fnords

2. Baudolino (Umberto Eco)
    It wasn’t what I expected, and was a little zany (can you say “zany” when talking about Eco?)

3. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card) – if they like Sci Fi
    HHGTTG (Douglas Adams) – if they don’t like Sci Fi - because it will make them like it :wink:

4. Gravity’s Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon)
    Bought it, tried to read it (got about 30% through), got too many headaches, gave up :(. It’s next on my list however…

Actually it’s Incident, not Case.

Just so no one has trouble finding it or anything.