Book title and author?

Hi,

Once read a sci-fi book based on Mars, I believe, and I don’t know what it was. I know that it’s not Bradbury’s “Martian Chronicles” as I just bought it. :smack:

One of the story’s had a person stranded on the planet with no food and water, and eventually the planet made some water for him (somehow sensing his need). The punchline is the water (or whatever it was the planet produced for him) changed him so that he could survive on the planet.

Another story was about a seriously henpecked man that enters a death machine that kills him in a myriad of ways. Each time he dies he is reborn.

Anybody know the name of the book?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Oh dear! As I read the first line, I was at once thinking of “Martian Chronicles”/“Silver Locusts”… oh well. :frowning: Can’t help you then, but the books you are looking for sound good, (this from someone who does not much read science fiction. SO I hope someone knows the answer, so that I can look for them too.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Could be Stanley G. Weinbaum’s A Martian Odyssey that you’re thinking of. The linked page mentions a Best of collection. I could be completely wrong (it’s been years since I’ve read the story), but he’s worthwhile anyway.

The first description reminds me of a VanVogt story (I think it was, anyway…)

Yeah, you’re completely wrong. The first part (about the water) sounds vaguely like one of Leigh Brackett’s Martian stories, but the second part (about the husband) isn’t ringing a bell.

Book-identification questions usually do best in the Cafe Society forum, so I’ll move this thread over there.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

The second story sounds a lot like Algis Budrys’s Rogue Moon.

And the first is much like John Varley’s In the Hall of the Martian Kings, only it was an expedition, not just one man.

The first has come up recently (ok, within the last 6 months) on the Abebooks booksleuth forums, and it was identified there - unfortunately, I haven’t found the specific post yet!

… more searches of the forums continued, when I finally ran across the right one! YAY!
A.E. van Vogt’s ‘Enchanted Village’:

Argh. I’m an idiot.

Yeah, that’s exactly the story I was thinking of. And there I was, flipping through books late last night, wondering why I couldn’t find it in any of my anthologies by Brackett, C.L. Moore, C. A. Smith…

If you’re looking for a copy of the story, NESFA Press recently printed a best-of volume of van Vogt’s short stories.

Thanks for the replies everybody. The quote of Van Vogt’s is correct. I didn’t put the snout and tail part in there (as a test?). :slight_smile: Now I’m thinking that maybe it was a book of short stories that I read in an english / literature class in high school (almost 30 years ago)? I’m trying to get my son interested in reading, and he seems interested in sci-fi. The best stories I could remember were those. Thanks again. :slight_smile: