Booster shot today; exhausted by 8:30

I’m making some supper and then to bed.

If that’s the worst of it you’re lucky from my perspective. I was flat on my back for 24 hours from each COVID shot and booster I got. My PCP said that’s because I have a strong immune system, but that doesn’t make me feel any better.

Yeah, all of my shots wiped me out for a day.

The immediate bad reaction to a shot is the innate part of the immune response system, and I don’t think there is any evidence that a strong innate response correlates with a strong adaptive response - the latter is the immunological memory that you want from a vaccine. Unfortunately, I think your PCP was just trying to make you feel better about it.

I had problems with my first two shots (both Moderna) but none of my boosters were all that bad (two were Moderna, one was Pfizer).

My doc told me the same thing when I asked why every single shot, whether original 2-shot series or booster, has put me down with utter misery for 4 days. It’s horrible and I dread getting them – but tell myself it’s still easier than dealing with the actual virus.

I read your link and I guess there is little correlation between this hyper response and actual immunity. Dammit.

@Northern_Piper, I hope you feel better very soon!

Hope you’re feeling better by the time you read this, @Northern_Piper! :slight_smile:

I never got much of a reaction from any of my shots. First shot (Pfizer) resulted in a slightly sore arm for a few hours. Second shot of Pfizer resulted in nothing at all. Booster (full dose of Moderna) also had no discernible physical effects. My understanding is whether you have a reaction to the shots or not has absolutely no bearing on their immunological effectiveness.

I’ve gotten 4 Modernas since this whole mess started. My experience is about like @wolfpup’s. Arm a bit sore on some, not all shots, and negligible dragginess from any.

You are right. I was skeptical when my doctor said it, but anecdotally I seem to have a strong immune system since I rarely get sick. I haven’t been sick in three years, and that was a common cold. My wife can have the flu or a colds during the year and I don’t catch them from her.

The first shots available when was that 2021?was taking down everyone I knew, so I planned to take the day off after the shot. Glad I did it wiped me out and I slept the day away. I remember joining the line at mass vax site at the convention center, I’ll never forget it.

2nd, 3rd and finally the 4 th shots had no effect maybe a little soreness at injection site.

Thanks! Still tuckered out but can’t sleep any more. Both arms sore - went whole hog and got the Covid vax in one arm, flu in the other.

I have had all four Moderna shots, and only one of them put me down for about 24 hours. I think it was the first booster? Maybe the second? But it wasn’t horrible. Just some arm pain/soreness and an exhausted feeling.

I think the flu shot this year was my worst reaction, so that might be your issue @Northern_Piper .

And I’m trying to cook something and just doubled one of the ingredients. Very fuzzy today.

Wife and I did the same Thursday. Foourth (or possibly fifth) Moderna. Sore in the covid arm still. Have had lower energy since. Had chest pains yesterday and blood glucose was unexpectedly high this morning. That’s usual for me after covid shots though. Feel as good as usual now.

IANA medical person, but that sounds like a less-than-wise decision.

At a minimum, as a matter of experimental protocol you now don’t know whether it’s the COVID vax, the flu vax, or the sum of the two that has laid you low-ish.

IME the flu vax gives me a slow semi-ill next day about half the years. COVID vax has never done that. I made a point this year of separating the two vaxxes by about a month. Yup: kinda raggedy the next day from my flu shot, but nothing from COVID.

Well, the medical community does disagree with that. Benefits seem to significantly outweigh risks for the average patient. Data is still being gathered, looking for problematic complications of doing that. But for now I’d advise qualified folks to get both at the same time.

It was a public health clinic that we went to, for covid, and they offered the flu vaccine, so we took both. We assumed that if the public health office was offering it, it was sensible to do.

I had both flu and Covid vax in the same arm at the same time and suffered no ill effects. None of the Covid shots I’ve had (Moderna and Pfizer) gave me anything but a slightly sore shoulder.

QtM - How’s retirement treating you?

StG

Thanks for the expert info.

I don’t know if I have a “strong immune system” or not, but I can’t even remember the last time I had a common cold. It was certainly a great many years ago. And, perhaps unwisely, I’ve never bothered to get the flu shot. If I’ve ever had the flu in my life, I certainly don’t remember it.

Whether any of this has anything to do with my lack of reaction to the COVID vaccine I have no idea, but I doubt it.