I got the J&J last March, and am over 18, which means I am due for a booster, now that they are approved. I haven’t had it yet; I had an appointment plus some tests this week, and my PCP did not want side effects from the vaccine confused with effects from an injury I’ve had. My doctor has recommended an mrna vaccine, and suggested the Pfizer.
After the J&J, I wasn’t too bad off-- I had arranged to have two days by getting the shot on a Sunday in the first place, then having the following Monday off. If I’d had to work, I would have managed, but I was glad I didn’t have to because I was a little fatigued and sore through my shoulders. The thermometer said I was at 99°F, and for me, it usually reads about 97.5°F. Side effects didn’t last more than 36 hours, and were definitely better than a case of COVID.
Since the J&J has been a one-&-done, I don’t know anyone who has had two, but I do know people who had the Pfizer and Moderna shots. The unscientifically small sample of “people I know” suggests that side effects are more severe after the FIRST Pfizer, but the SECOND Moderna.
'Course, that doesn’t mean anything for someone getting the Pfizer after the J&J.
So has anyone had either of the mrna shots after the J&J? or a second J&J? Anyone in healthcare have any “common knowledge” about the wisest course for a booster for the J&J in regard to avoiding side effects?
I have looked at the calendar, and I’m just not able to set any time aside to have a day off after getting a booster, unless I wait until winter break at the end of December, and I don’t want to wait that long.
Obviously, my primary concern is the best protection, not merely the fewest side effects, but I don’t know that there’s enough information to say that one course is overwhelmingly better than the others-- and right now, my PCP feels that an mrna after the J&J is the best course for me. I’m probably going to get a Pfizer this Sunday, barring not being able to find one.
If I hear lots of stories from people saying they felt just awful, I could put it off until Friday of next week, and then take Saturday to recover. Not the nicest way to spend Shabbat, but probably a mitzvah. Or I could get it right before Thanksgiving-- it’s not a holiday I celebrate anyway; I could have several days that way, and I’d just be putting it off a few weeks.