Bored with live streaming puppies? Watch live crack deals instead.

Oh, you can see the crack bush now. The camera wasn’t showing it before.

There’s and FAQ up top that explains Leroy, and other things.

Saw that in the print edition. The site, when I was watching, was completely boring - just car and a little foot traffic.

Joe

What does “WKT” mean?

Just watched for a bit and a lady got maced. Crazy.

I have no idea about ‘WTK,’ but wouldn’t it be great if a San Francisco Doper wrote ‘SDMB’ in the intersection? :smiley:

Oh, shit, don’t tempt me…

Joe

You knoooow you wanna do it…

Do it! Do it! Do it!
Late tonight. Tell us the time and we’ll watch.
Don’t get mugged or hit by a car though.

The WTK tag has been removed, so now there’s a temptingly clean slate.

And just think… With a long explanation, a link to that site, and a screen shot you could end up being famous… on this thread… for about two days until it goes off the front page.
Still… do it!
Get big sidewalk chalk and use it lengthwise, not from the point… otherwise it’ll just be a super thin line that’s hard to read.
And SDMB comes right to the Straight Dope Message Board on google, so you may get a few new dopers out of this prank!

Does anyone know if its common knowledge to the regulars and people that just are in the area that there is a camera watching all the time right there? Or do they think of it as just another camera like in a convenience store or whatever and don’t give a damn?

Both, I believe. Adam, in the Chronicle article, said he once stopped off on his way home in a bar several blocks away from his home, and was surprised to find a lot of the regulars from his own local bar there. They were apparently aware of the camera and decided to do their drinking elsewhere.

Apparently, he got death threats and closed it down. Wanted to show it to a friend, good quality video and some weird things happening at this intersection. But nothing’s on the site.

I figure its important enough of a development to bring back the thread, it was only 3 days and change since the last post.

That totally sucks. The one time I checked his cams out was noonish, local, and nothing untoward was happening.

F-. 3:15 on Saturday night and it’s not broadcasting? I had such high hopes!

The terrorists won. :frowning:

What if a company, or even just a building owned by an organization and not a single person were to put up a camera on their building and stream the info?

What would they do then?

Hell, London does it for the police at almost every corner from what I’ve heard, and nobody bats an eye. Why should it be a problem for a company to do the same? If nothing else at least the criminals could be content in knowing that while they’re being watched, and watched by possibly many many people, the cops arn’t directly guaranteed to be watching the camera 24/7.

Here’s an article from the Chronicle detailing what happened. Local gangsters wanted to use his feed to broadcast a banner they spread showing their gang’s insignia. He turned it off to avoid that, and they wigged out and started with death threats and following him to work and trying to get him fired.

Other folks on the block are taking it up, though, and are going to set up cameras from their apartments. Last I heard, they were going to call it “ourblock.” This time, though, I hope they don’t post their apartment building number and e-mail, like he did.

ETA: wheresgeorge04, I take back my urging that you go tag that block. Stay away from the crazy, dude.

Doesn’t matter, really… They go online and look at the camera, roughly guess the angle and get a pair of binoculars. You’d find out pretty quick which one probably had the camera. And a laser pointer or even just a bright flashlight would confirm it quick.

This is why I think a company or building itself should do it. One where there isn’t one person deciding to do it, rather a large board or cooperative group of some sort. Kinda hard to pin it on one person.