Botticelli February 2024

Goooooood morning and welcome to the February Botticelli thread, with me, your host W. De La Rue. Here is last month’s thread, here is a thread for general questions, and here are the rules for anyone interested in joining:

How does this work?

One person, the host, is thinking of someone and gives an initial (“I am B.”). Could be a real person, could be fictional, initial could start the first name, initial could start the last name, whatever. Everyone else is trying to figure out who it is. Players first ask indirect questions, usually three per post, about people with that initial (“Did you paint a picture of Venus on a giant clamshell?”) and the host answers them (“I am not Botticelli.”).

What if the host is correct?
Nothing happens.

What if the host doesn’t know the answer?
The player gets to ask a direct yes-or-no question (“Real?” “First name begins with B?” etc.). Note that direct questions can be reserved, and asked later.

Does a correct answer have to be who the player was thinking of?
If the host answers with a person who was not who the player had in mind but who still correctly fits the question–e.g. thinking of Beethoven, asking “Were you a German classical composer,” and getting the response “I am not Bach”–the question has been correctly answered and again nothing happens.

How long does this go on?
Until twenty direct questions have been answered (usually it’s best for the host to continually post an updated list.). Then players get any other earned direct questions in and people can get in one final direct guess at who it is (“Are you…”).

Whoever guesses the person correctly (whether by indirect question or final guess) gets to host the next round.

Where does the name of the game come from?
Because the person has to be reasonably notable, as least as well-known as Botticelli. That being said…

What if nobody guesses who the person is?
If it’s someone players have heard of, the host goes again. If none of the players have heard of the person, the previous host goes again.

Ooh, ooh! If I’m the host, can I go with, for example, Madonna but say “I am C” because her last name is Ciccone?

No. We’re going by the names people are best known by to the general public, not birth names. Unless, of course, the birth name is as well-known as the stage or other current name.

What about middle names?
Middle names (and middle initials) count if the person is always referred to as such (e.g. if the letter is P then you can ask about John Philip Sousa).

How many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Two, if they’re small.

OK, enough of that.

I am P.

IQs:

1. Are you me?
  2. Did you play me on TV?
  3. Are you a TV private eye whose theme song was composed by Henry Mancini?

IQs:

1. Are you the female member of the Them?
  2. Are you an American female downhill skiier who’s name sounds like a children’s game?
  3. Did Billy Boyd play you in the movie?

Dammit. I was legit going to ask “Are you the SDMB’s Master of Dad Jokes?” as my first IQ.

1. I am not Professor Pepperwinkle.
2. I am not Phillips Tead.
3. I am not Peter Gunn.

1. Take a DQ.
2. I am not Picabo Street.
3. Take a DQ.

1 was Pippen Galadriel Moonchild, known as Pepper, from Good Omens. 2 was correct. 3 was Peregrin “Pippen” Took.

Wow, you got the one I thought was hard, and missed the two I figured you’d get.

DQs:

1. Real?
  2. Female?

IQs:

1. Were you Michael Jordan’s sidekick and wingman?
  2. Were you the original pursuer and hunter of the Questing Beast?
  3. Were you the “learned Paynim” to whom the Questing Beast transferred her affections, in The Once and Future King?

Egad! You swept me.

IQs:

1. Did you possibly do it in the Conservatory with the Candlestick?
  2. Did you possibly do it in the Study with the Lead Pipe?
  3. Are you Carlo Collodi’s best known character?

1. I am not Scottie Pippen?
2. I am not Sir Pellinore.
3. Take a DQ.

1. I am not Professor Plum.
2. I am not Miss Peacock.
3. I am not Pinocchio.

DQs:
1. real
2. male

IQs:

1. Were you the youngest Union general of the Civil War?
  2. Did you record the songs “It’s Raining Tacos” and “Backwards Rabbit”?
  3. Were you a Spanish explorer searching for the Fountain of Youth?

IQs:

Were you Harry Truman’s political patron?
Did you surrender the besieged city of Vicksburg?
Were you, by some measurements, the worst mass murderer in all of history?

Okay, time to get serious.

IQs:

1. Are you a pretentious French painter who added an apostrophe to his name?
  2. Did you write O Little Town Of Bethlehem?
  3. Are you married to the cartoonist who draws Doonesbury?

1. Take a DQ.
2. I am not Parry Gripp?
3. I am not Pizarro.

Respectively:
I am not Frank Pendergast.
I am not Pemberton.
I am not Pol Pot?

1. Take a DQ.
2. Take a DQ.
3. I am not Jane Pauley.

DQs:
1. real
2. male

#1 was Pierre-Paul Prud’hon.
#2 was Phillips Brooks.
#3 is correct.

DQs:

1. Last name starts with P?
  2. Living?
  1. In a Steve Earle song are you named this “same as my daddy and his daddy before”?
  2. Did you play April Dancer on The Girl from U.N.C.L.E?
  3. Are you Oliver and Nicholas’s sister in the book Red Moon and Black Mountain?

Swept me!

IQs:

Were you one of Thatcher’s Foreign Secretaries?
Were you an Admiralty official whose diary became famous?
Did a British undercover police officer repeatedly insist he wasn’t you?

Take 3 DQs.

Respectively:
I am not Peter Fischandchips.
I am not Samuel Pepys.
I am not the Pink Panther.

DQs:
1. real
2. male
3. first name begins with P
4. living

Galusha Pennypacker, correct, and Juan Ponce de Leon.

DQ: Known for the arts?
DQ: American?

You know, my mind saw “Spanish explorer” and immediately jumped to Pizarro and never looked back. This is why I should think more about answers I’m not 100% sure of.

I’ve responded, so I might as well answer the DQs.

1. real
2. male
3. first name begins with P
4. living
5. known for the arts
6. American

IQs:

1. Did you do a full frontal nudity scene in the movie Catch-22?
  2. Have you played the Devil, Sherlock Holmes, and an Impressive Clergyman?
  3. Have you played a starship captain, a prince with a wandering eye, and a widower bard?

Correct on Scottie Pippen and King Pellinore. 3 was Sir Palomides.

DQ: Known for the performing arts?

IQs:

1. Were you honored in the naming of a planet, in that the first two letters of the name chosen were your initials?

2. Were you Captain Jack Aubrey’s faithful first lieutenant through most of the Maturin-Aubrey novels?

3. Were you the philosopher of science who posited that a hypothesis is only scientifically valid if it can be falsified?