Bought a new house, sellers left me food

I thought it was nice until I noticed the food was half eaten, not new in the box. I’m cheap but not that cheap.

The previous owners of this house left a bucket full of condiment packets from various carry-out meals, plus a bunch of Coors Light in the fridge. We bought the place in July 2004. The date on the beer was 1997. And we won’t talk about the various spices left behind in the kitchen… :woozy_face: :woozy_face: :woozy_face:

In our previous house, the sellers left us Karo syrup and a bag of pretzels.

Unfortunately, the syrup had been in a glass bottle which had apparently fallen off a set of metal selves in a closet, and shattered on the slate floor, where it was left to harden. So after we removed the shelves (which had been wired to the clothes bar), instead of simply sweeping and washing the floor of a hall closet, we got to spend several hours picking shards of glass out of a pool of hardened syrup.

The pretzels were in a kitchen cabinet drawer. Well, behind the drawer. The apparently had slipped off the back of the drawer, and the owner had smashed the drawer repeatedly until the pretzels were reduced to crumbs small enough to allow the drawer to close - sorta.

When we bought this land and found the old cabin, well over 100years old, the stuff I found would curl your hair.

Several old medicine bottles. Several vintage liquor bottles. 2 mysterious tin cans of stuff. The cans are actually ‘tin’, labels long gone. Bones. Coins and pearly looking buttons. 2 baby shoes that don’t match, old newspapers and a few pictures of weird looking people.

That was all found ‘in’ the cabin.
Outside was many more treasures.
I’ve been actively playing archiologist for many years.

No edibles of any kind were found, unless you count the tin cans.

I was off-roading out in the wild and came across an abandoned RV. In the ‘kitchen’ was a bottle of Honey. Now, I seem to recall hearing that honey never goes bad. I thought about it…

Yes, I’m cheap, too. But not that cheap.

You didn’t open the cans? Curiosity would have gotten the better of me…

I haven’t opened them.
I made an art installation of the things I’ve found.
It’s a source of endless amusement to the kids.
They like to look at the things and hear stories(I make up).

The one about the one legged baby is real popular.

In the other direction, when I was about six we took possession of a house and when we arrived about 5pm, we discovered the former owner had removed all of the lightbulbs from the ceiling fixtures and the fuses from the fusebox. This was back in Ye Olde Days when about the only businesses that stayed open after 5pm were the bars.

That first night we slept on mattresses on the floor (expected) in the dark (not so expected).

Dad was vexed and I suppose mom was too, but quieter about it.

The previous owner of my house left a single can of beer in the fridge. Miller Genuine Draft. I still keep it in there, ten years later.

I never met the guy. He was 95 at the time, fell and hurt himself and had to move to a nursing home. However, he did sign all of the paperwork for the closing. Some neighbors told me he passed away a few years ago. Dead man"s MGD.

When we bought our current house, we found what looked like a large sausage wrapped in tin foil in the fridge in the basement. At first we didn’t use that fridge all that much, so it was probably a good three months before I worked up the nerve to unwrap it and see what it was. It wasn’t a sausage.

It was a paint roller. Saturated with paint. Wrapped in tin foil. In the fridge.

Thats so funny what people decide they don’t want to deal with when they move.

In my case the seller’s left multiple dressers, a ripped up wedding dress and wedding photos, all kinds of kids toys and books, dishes, broken gazebo, satelite dishes and lots old stuff all over the house. I had to hire a junk trunk. I’m still funding beer bottles buried deep in the bushes. I could not identify what in refrigerator, suffice to say to house needed a week to air out after opening it.

Our seller left trash on the front porch, including a toilet seat with a jocular marital message (presumably a wedding gift). It appeared that the marriage had failed.

When I took a flat in Israel, there was a plastic bag full of old currency (tiny 1-agorot coins, 1/100 of an old shekel). They were technically still in circulation, but I only saw them when people left a fistful of change as a tip or threw it in a fountain. The (old) shekel was about to be replaced by the New Israeli Shekel, which knocked 3 zeros off the denomination, so the old agora was a tiny fraction of the new shekel value. I still have some agorot in my “pocket change of the world” bowl.

There was a half-full bottle of white wine in the shed. Label says vintage of 1970, though it may have been re-filled with something.

Previous owner was a textbook hoarder who died in 2007. His wife spent most of her time since in a retirement home. Their daughter sold the house to us after her death two years ago. She did a decent job of clearing out the living quarters (needless to say, the floors and walls still needed professional refurbishment), but the surroundings gave an impression of how it must have looked like. Bricks, tiles, wheels, tires, metal bars, planks of wood, panes of glass, you name it. Fortunately there’s already lots of open space so we can take our time cleaning up the mess.

The wine bottle is still where we found it. One day when I’m feeling especially adventurous, I’ll take a sip.

Shortly after we moved into our house something fell off the lazy susan inside a cabinet. In fishing around and getting it back we found an unopened box of Count Chocula with a mail-in offer that expired in 1979! I put it in a plastic display box. Somewhere, sometime, someone is gonna pay big money for an unopened box of Count Chocula! And I’ll be ready.

The first apartment I moved into in Denver had about 100 romance novels left by the previous tenant. I read them, then I took them to the used bookstore and exchanged them for mysteries.

Just on the off chance that you mean that: I wouldn’t. I really, really wouldn’t.

It’s true that some people keep their booze out in the shed. But people keep all sorts of poisonous stuff out in old sheds. They are not always stored in their original containers.

Years ago when we moved into a house we purchased, we discovered that the previous owner had left an old worn out couch in one of the rooms in the basement.

After calling our realtor and inquiring about the left piece of furniture, we learned that the seller left it because they couldn’t get it out of the room and down the hallway due to the angles. They thought we might like to keep it.

I informed them that no we didn’t want the couch and that according to our contract they needed to remove their property from the premises, and suggested that they come take the couch apart, or cut it apart to get it out.

They did.

When my parents bought a house in 1966 and we moved in, my 5-year-old brother discovered a small hole in the stone wall of the basement. In that hole was a plastic hippopotamus. That hole was forever after referred to as “the hippo hole.” Made for some interesting conversations:
“Where is X?” “Over there by the hippo hole.”

That sounds like my son’s story–his ex (the bi-polar tattooed hosebeast from hell) left him 1.75 cats. That’s right, one of them only has 3 legs.

Fortuitously, she didn’t leave him her two feral children…

Please don’t, even if it’s corked and sealed and is actually wine and not something else. Virtually no white wine will keep that long, and only some exceptional reds, but only under optimal storage conditions, not a garden shed. The best thing to do with that “wine” is take it to a hazmat disposal site! Less dramatically, if it’s just real wine that has by now turned into a sort of putrid vinegar, pour it down the toilet.

Save the bottle, tho.