Boyfriend/girlfriend in 2nd grade?

I remember very clearly Michael Perry. K through 2nd grade he was my guy. We’d play “catch 'em & kiss’em” on the playground and he didn’t fight back very hard. I cried like a baby when I found out he wasn’t in my third-grade class. Seriously.

I got my first kiss when I was in fifth grade, from two girls, one of whom became my first ‘girlfriend’ girlfriend.

I had a girlfriend in first grade, but there was no kissing: we were two of the class ‘smarties’ (today we’d be called nerds), and had common interests like reading and music. (Although I did think she was really pretty!)

My first girlfriend was a “steady” (in actuality we were just friends), which lasted from kindergarten through the fourth grade. I think she kissed me once, but I don’t remember where or when. We also held hands a few times, which I thought was the coolest thing at the time. One day in fourth grade, for reasons she never explained, she suddenly decided I was no longer worthy of her friendship and she told me off. Nothing subtle, just a direct “Get away from me!” Needless to say I was crushed and shocked, right there on the playground in front of dozens of other kids. I had no idea what I had even said or done to suddenly change her opinion of me. I should have taken it as a sign of things to come later in life, as my dating history has been abysmal at best. I am now 36 years old and am still single.

I had not one, but two boyfriends in kindergarten (in 1967). They used to fight over who would get to walk around with me and hold my hand during recess. First and last time I ever had anyone fight over me. :stuck_out_tongue:

In second grade, I had two more boyfriends who tried separately to impress me enough to be ‘exclusive’. One raided his mother’s flower garden and left the bouquet on my doorstep with a note asking me to marry him. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t even born yet! :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve still never had a boyfriend, but nearly all my classmates were paired up by sixth grade and then switched around among themselves, with the occasional boyfriend from the mall or from a grade above or below us or whatever.
My little sister, however, has been dating since she was a year old. She met the little boy across the street (who was closer to two) and he gave her a flower and a kiss. They were together until she turned three and was a lot cuter than he was, and she dumped him for a boy from church who absolutely adored her. They were together until kindergarten, when she had a bunch of little boys competing for her attention and picked a little Mexican boy. Later that year, she god fed up with the Mexicans (there are a lot of them and they all hang out together) and went back to her original boyfriend until third grade, when she met a boy at soccer camp who was the brother of one of my friends.

Last I heard of him, he hated her and she hated him more and he hated her infinity. I don’t know who she’s with now.

I had a girlfriend in second grade. Man, was she cute. And several inches taller than I was.

I was a real pimp in the 2nd grade, I had TWO girlfriends!

One from the east side and one from the west side.

They would both want to hold hands with me after school and would sometimes fight over it.

Life was good.

I guess my first girlfriend was from grade five. Had other little girls that I spent a lot of time with before that, but nothing really distinguished them from playmates.

We kissed and messed around in ways that it would give me the screaming meemies to think about ten- and eleven-year-old’s messing around today. Eeesh.

Saying goodbye to her on the school playground when I moved away is one of the clearest juvenile memories I have. I think it was my first taste of Tragedy. :smiley:

(Bumped into her again in high school, and the sweet little girl I remembered had big, feathered hair, head-to-toe distressed denim, and a total stoner thing going on. We hooked up for a while, but I still remember the elementary school years more fondly. Weird.)

Not me. <sigh> But lots of my friends had boyfriends in grade school. Actually, lots of my friends had the same boyfriend in grade school. Robert was a real player when he was younger. My five-year-old nephew had a girlfriend recently, but she hates him now because she caught him talking to another girl.

I wouldn’t have called him an SO by any stretch (I don’t think the term existed in 1958!). But I had a boyfriend. Wendell. Boy was he cute. We had one date. We went to a Saturday afternoon movie (The Littlest Hobo) and sat together, and then afterward he bought me a coke and gave me a rabbit’s foot.

My mother was kidding around about it and said, “I guess next thing you’ll be married.” This scared me so badly that I didn’t talk to him again until high school. Kept the rabbit’s foot though.

I’t’s amazing to hear all this, because this kind of thing simply did not go on at my school
(perhaps because it was a Catholic school had something to do with it). You would have been
teased unmercifully if word got out that you and girl were an “item” of whatever sort. I know
it is boring to hear the “non”-stories of this type so naturally the posts will be biased towards
the other extreme.

Now yes I personally had a big crush on someone in 5th grade, after she
acted the part of Helen Keller in a school play, making the kindergarteners (who thought it
was some sort of mime comedy) giggle uncontrollably. She never got out of character-impressed
the heck out of me. The pisser was my best friend told me a week later that he liked her,
and when pressed I lied about someone else so as to spare his feelings.

Hmmm…how do you define “boyfriend” at that age? Most of my friend have been boys. For most of my life. When I was in kindergarten it was John from next door. We looked at my stepdad’s Playboy’s together :eek: . I saw his wee-wee once when he was in the bath (first one I ever saw, when I walked in on said stepdad one time later, boy was that a surprise). We wrestled on my parents bed a few times…I guess he was my first “friend with benefits” :smiley:

In second grade my best friend was Mark. And lord did we get shit for that. What with the cootie problem. I recall getting jeered at from the school bus going by when we were walking home together. But it was stictly platonic, I swear!

His name was Nicolas, and we were 4 (in 1982). He hit me in the forehead with a hockeypuck, and the jardin (4 y.o. kindergarten) teacher at the Lycee made us go to see the Prefet who told me I could hit him back.

It was love right then and there.

I was the only girl invited to his birthday party. Then I moved away, n’ found myself another beau. His name was David, and were “engaged” in second grade, and were best friends until teachers separated us in middle school. We were a force to be reconned with, apparently, and they figured splitting us would be a better thing for the poor teachers who’d have to handle us. He was my “fiance” until grade 4, when boys suddenly got cooties, so we were just Best Friends from then on.

We went our separate ways when highschool came about.

Wonder where he is now.

This thread is just making me smile. I still remember my first two “girlfriends” and their names. Karen in second grade and jodi in third grade.
Nothing happened beyond love letters in classroom , yet this has brought back a lot of memories.

My kindergarten “girlfriend” was the teacher’s daughter (a first sign that I would continue to make bad decisions about who I dated later in life. Just ask me about dating my boss. :smack: )

Anyhow, Michele was her name. I still remember her last name, but won’t list it here. I was crushed when she moved to Missouri with her parents. We had a real future! :smiley:

I’m young like SurrenderDorothy, and I still haven’t had a boyfriend either.

I’ve always gone to the same small private school, and I remember how during elementary/middle school it always got around who was dating who and everyone made a big deal about it. Now, who is dating who spreads quickly, but isn’t such a hude deal anymore.

Even though it depends on the person, many kids in my school were definitely holding hands (and maybe kissing) in elementary school. Once we hit middle school, there was no looking back.

I remember Jill’s last name, too (see post #12). I thought of listing it here just for fun (after all, it’s been 34 years), but I Googled her just in case…and I think I may have found her! Uncommon name, and there’s one in Elmira, NY, less than 2 hours’ drive from Syracuse…

Could it be her? I’m choosing to think so. Nice to see you again, Jill.

Little did she know, but at that time, YOU had a better shot with him.

:smiley:

My first boyfriend was WP, he was my teacher’s son and just dreamy. We were in the first grade, he wore glasses and had these adorable buck teeth. I spent every weekend trying to get my teeth to stick out like his so he would notice me. Eventually he did notice me and we were an item until the middle of the second grade when I fell in love with a boy named Rex. Rex had really cute eyes.

Last week I actually was looking in my new phone book and found WP. He still lives close to me. I wonder if he still wears glasses. He was so cute!

My daughter actually had her first boyfriend in kindergarten. They even went on a “date”. Her little honey hated getting haircuts but told his Mom he’d be brave if my daughter was there so his Mom called me and I let my daughter go with them. They even went out for ice cream. It was really cute and very innocent. They drew each other pictures and he picked her flowers on the last day of school. Little kid romance is adorable.

My daughter’s finishing 2nd grade and she’s already had 5 or 6 boyfriends. They don’t last very long. I keep telling her and my eldest that they REALLY don’t have to worry about any of that until they’re in high school, and they acknowledge this, but she’s already trying to will her boobs to grow. She’s 8. :rolleyes: