[QUOTE=Equipoise]
So, in your world, people can’t grow and change for the better? It seems to me that Jolie’s whole outlook changed when she visited Cambodia and found Maddox. After adopting him she grew up, discovered her previously-hidden maternal instincts, found a conscience, became an activist, and because of it totally alienated Thornton, who wanted his spooky-ookie, fun-loving, weird and wild partygirl wife back.
Pitt pretty much coasted through on his talent (yes, he does have talent), charm and good looks. He and Anniston seemed perfect together for the time they were together, but then he met Jolie, who showed him a socially-aware path he hadn’t previously been exposed to. That he’d always wanted kids and Maddox was a perfect kid and they got along well didn’t hurt. I don’t believe Jolie broke up his marriage, but I believe she was right there when it did break up and them getting together was the most natural thing in the world.
Maybe I’m too gullible. I don’t care. I’m usually a pretty cynical person, but when it comes to Pitt and Jolie, I believe totally in their union and social awareness.
And besides, how the heck do you know what kind of diamond ring, if any, Pitt has given Jolie?
[/QUOTE]
There’s another version of the story that says Thorton didn’t want a new baby at the time and Jolie went ahead with it against his wishes. There were also rumors that he was opposed to it because of the general shadiness of many agencies working Cambodian adoptions. All Cambodian adoptions have stopped at the moment because corruption was so bad, and also, the head of the agency that Jolie used was busted for buying babies from poor women and passing them off as orphans. Article here.
Any concerns about Maddox possibly have living parents were brushed aside by Cambodian officials who said they investigated and found no wrongdoing, but possibly they were helped in the cleanup by Jolie’s 1.5 million dollar donation to the impoverished Cambodian government for a community development/nature conservation project. It wouldn’t be the first time that ever happened.
And I can’t say much about her maternal instincts when she has been calling the paps to photograph her and Maddox when they go out ever since Billy Bob left and she was trying to recover from the incestous overtones of her open-mouthed kiss with her brother at the Oscars. It’s basically a way to give herself a better image. She admitted as much to Forbes in an interview. There’s also another article that I can’t find now where a photographer talked about behind the scenes stuff involving paps and mentioned her habit of setting up photo ops with Maddox since he was 7 months old.
She has turned her children into celebrities themselves with this behaviour, even to the point where a photographer broke into his day care/school trying to get a picture. She continues these photo ops and yet last year she complained that the photographers upset Maddox and made him cry when she just wanted to take him on a ride on a carousel in Paris. She should have thought of that when he was 7 months old and she used him to reform her image.
It’s also been questioned whether she actually gives one-third of her income to charity as she repeatedly says she does, or whether it was just a one time thing, but I can’t find the information right at the moment, and I’m a little pressed for time here. So that’s my 2 cents, for now.