Braille at ATM Machine's

I am so sick and tired of hearing jokes about us folks who are blind! I find it very convenient to use the braille at drive up ATM’s but I just wish they would make all of the road signs in braille as well! :cool:

I know. I hate driving behind you guys.

Dimwit. Blind people aren’t allowed to drive. Couldn’t you tell it was the dog? He had his head out the window, fer Chrissakes. :cool:

Not that it really matters, but for purposes of form:

Here is a link to the column being referenced: Why is there braille on drive-up teller machines?

angelriver, we usually add a link to the column the thread is discussing to be certain everyone knows for certain which one you are referencing. It isn’t always as obvious as it is in this case. It’s easy to do: you can just cut and paste the URL from your browser to the thread creation field. And yes, it probably should be done automatically for you, but it’s a bit primative around here, you see. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the Straight Dope! :slight_smile:

Some blind people are allowed to drive. Usually what is required for a driver’s license is that you can pass whatever vision test is administered. That test has nothing to do with how “legal blindness” is defined – it is possible to be “legally blind” (and thus eligable for disability benefits, etc. therefrom) and to still pass the vision portion of your driving test.

I used to work for a not-for-profit that employed blind folks, and several of my co-workers were “legally blind” (i.e., their vision could not be corrected to sufficient acuity, so that they qualified as disabled from blindness), but had their driver’s license and could legally drive.

… it was usually rather stressful riding with them, mind you. And they had sufficient vision that neither guide dog nor cane were required for them to get around. So if there was someone’s head hanging out the window, it was probably mine (screaming into the wind).

I believe you will find you are totally mistaken here. The federal government’s legal definition of “blindness,” adopted in 1935 to establish benefit entitlement in the Social Security Act, is a person who’s corrected vision is 20/200 or less in his best eye, OR a person who’s field of vision is 20 degrees or less. No person with 20/200 vision can pass the state drivers license exam in any state I’m familiar with, and no person with tunnel vision will pass, either, as there is a peripheral vision component that must be passed as well.

You may be thinking of people who are “functionally blind.” This term includes people who do not meet the strict definition, but who’s vision impairment is of such degree that they use aids such as braille for efficient reading, etc.

ATM Machines? Is that where you enter your PIN Number?