Braised Pork Tacos

I don’t know if I’ve invented a new dish, or if I’ve subconsciously recreated something already in existence, but DAMN were these good! The chop is a loin chop purchased from Costco. If you use a thinner one, reduce cooking times. I used one chipotle pepper, which was hot enough for us. Use more if you’re brave.

Chefguy’s Braised Pork Tacos

1 large pork chop, 2” thick, trimmed
Salt
Vegetable oil
Olive oil
¼ cup chopped onion
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP ancho chili powder
1 canned chipotle pepper plus a spoonful of sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1-2 TBSP butter
1 TBSP flour
1 large red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
1 large yellow bell pepper, quartered and seeded
Olive oil
4 6” tortillas
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Sour cream (optional)

Heat vegetable oil to medium-high heat, but not smoking. Salt the chop. Quickly brown all sides of the chop and remove to a plate. Turn the heat down to medium and remove the pan. Empty out the remaining oil, wipe with paper towels. Add a small amount of olive oil. Add onion and spices to oil and sauté for a few minutes. Add the chipotle pepper and chipotle sauce, then the water. Bring to a boil, place the chop back in the liquid, reduce heat to simmer and cook until done, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, toss the pepper quarters in a bit of olive oil and grill or broil until charred. Chop the peppers (I didn’t peel them, and I think the flavor was much improved).

When the pork chop is done, remove to a cutting board. Turn the heat under the liquid to medium high. Cook on high until the liquid is reduced to about a half cup. While the liquid is reducing, cut up the chop into bite-sized pieces. Combine the flour and butter well and add to the reduced liquid, stirring. Continue to cook until thickened, then add the pork and the peppers, along with some salt.

Grill the tortillas, spoon in the mixture and top with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.

Let me know what you think.