Brazil presidential election run-off (10/30/2022); 2023-01-08 Insurrection

You made the call!

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1612152507727499265?t=j9dfepdjcluaas8atcZSCA&s=19

https://twitter.com/misteriouspavao/status/1612159995369623552?t=bZXsa6zCZUKqPdeJqKOYHQ&s=19

Any summary of what is happening so far?

I doubt anyone wants to sit through 3 videos.

No, it started around an hour ago. The videos are just 30-45 second social media postings by people who are participating.

This one is promised to be updated as they learn anything new.

Military vehicles led the procession of people to the Congress:

Horses are being beaten:

They have entered the Presidential palace:

And the Brazilian Supreme Court:

Here’s the head of a Twitter thread that gets updated from time to time by Brazilian journo Nathalia Urban.

I don’t think Bolsonaro himself is actually in Brazil right now.

He is in Orlando, about 100 miles from Mar-A-Lago.

Can’t say I blame him. Epcot is pretty sweet.

So is access to the last major figure to try this

My post beat my phone notification by 39 minutes. Come to the SDMB for the latest in breaking news… :wink:

Thanks John.

Since I started this thread I do a Twitter search for “Bolsonaro” and “Brazil” from time to time. There’s been some minor incidents that weren’t big enough to update the thread. But it di feel like this was brewing.

I thought they might have been out of the woods when Bolsonaro left the country at the end of the year. Sucks to be wrong about that.

Plausible deniability. That’s the lesson he learned from Trump.

Oh, and 'if you can, flee the crime scene before the crime." That’s a valuable lesson too, one which Trump absolutely flaunted.

Just a reminder, this thread is not about Trump.

Do not turn it into yet another thread about Trump.

It’s not. But it has been reliably reported that Trump’s advisors, Bannon et al, had a hand in this. That’s undeniable.

I started an ATMB thread for discussion of this mod action. Note: I’m not super upset about it or anything. Just trying to get a feel for the boundaries.

Personally, I don’t need to talk about trump anymore. I’ve made my observation, and that’s that.

Looks like the action is not confined to Brasilia.

I am not sure if the Tweet I posted above is accurate. Twitter user <first name><string of numbers> is often some kind of propaganda bot.

You don’t answer to me or anything @Toffe , but I think a lot of folks would appreciate an update from you.