Bread machine experiments...

Today, I stopped off at a local yardsale and picked up a bread machine, i’d been kicking the idea around in the back of my mind, but didn’t feel like spending full retail on something I’d most likely use for a couple weeks and then put it in the storage unit…

so, for $10 for a basic “Red Star” bread machine, I figure it’d be worth a chance, the owner was selling it because they upgraded to a machine with more “bells and whistles”

I plugged it in at the site to check basic functionality, it worked, so I decided to take a chance

when I got it home, I gave it a thorough cleaning, and decided to bake my first loaf of bread, and considering my cooking technique is “toss a bunch of stuff in and hope for the best” the result was surprisingly good for a first loaf…

of course, I had to fight Murphy’s Law from the start, as I didn’t have enough flour for a full size loaf, I had just barely enough for a half-size loaf, so I guestimated and scaled back quantities

from what little baking I know, yeast creates CO2 that causes the air pockets in the bread, and considering I like a bread with a lot of air pockets, but a nice solid structure (Italian style breads, crusty but fluffy) I added a little more yeast than normal, also the yeast was old and I wasn’t sure how well it’d work, so I overcompensated…

I decided to start simple with a basic white bread recipie, but make the following changes;

use Rosemary Olive Oil instead of regular oil
use Brown Sugar instead of regular sugar
add rasins at the second mix stage
add a tiny bit more yeast than “neccecary”

dumped it all in, and let the machine churn away…

2 hours and 30 minutes later, I pulled out my first half-loaf of bread, looked decent, good color, nice and crusty, let it rest for 15 minutes and sliced off the first piece, not knowing what to expect…

it was good, REALLY good, far better than I expected, light and fluffy, nice light amber color, great aroma, it was absolutely delicious, I could’ve eaten the whole thing in one sitting…

(i almost did…)

so, with my first success, i stopped off at the grocery store to pick up some premade mixes, i’ve now got a cinnamon rasin resting in the machine, a mix that i’m going to add more rasins to (I like my rasin bread to be a true RASIN bread…)

things I discovered with this new mix;

my first bread i added far too much water to, it had the consistency of cake batter, never balled up, that may explain it’s flattish appearance, it just couldn’t rise due to too much liquid, it still came out delicious and fluffy, probably due to the extra yeasties partying down in the mix

this bread baking stuff is going to be fun…

since the bread mixes are designed for a 1.5-2 pound machine, I can’t use an entire mix per machine, but that gives me other possibilities, such as saving the remainder of the mixes and mixing them all together to make “mystery bread” that’s different every time, the “mystery loaf” will have a mixture of Cinnamon Rasin, Sourdough, Honey Wheat, Itallian Herb, and Hawaiian Royal mixes…

hindsight being 20/20, after I mixed up the Rasin bread that’s processing now, I realized “I should’ve used white grape juice instead of water in the rasin bread…”

the next loaves will probably be beer bread, I picked up a six of Redhook Blonde Ale to cook with, a nice, summery ale, come wintertime, I’ll mix up some solid, hearty Stout based bread

Anything that combines chemistry with technology is fine in my book, this breadmaker is going to be a lot of delicious fun, edible science experiments, what could be better?

any reccomendations for a bread machine novice?

Oh and because I can’t leave a good thing alone, I just added in a bunch of rasins in the second mix cycle, as well as a capful of white grape juice, this baking is sensitive stuff, after the capful of grape juice was added, the mix started to get all runny, so I needed to add in some more of the mix to raise the consistency, looks like baking is less forgiving of “experiments” than I thought…

I love making pizza dough in my bread machine (it has a dough setting). I use olive oil and add garlic and parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning mix to the dough. Yummy!

A guilty pleasure the wife and I have involves the use of “garlic and herb Italian bread mix.”

Prepare as per the directions, but add a handful of parmesan and romano cheeses, and while it’s mixing, toss in about a cup and a half of shredded sharp cheddar.

A meal in itself. Heavy on the carbs, but oh so tasty…

The money you saved on the second-hand machine will help defray the cost of letting all your pants out. My fastest weight gain was due to having a bread machine and living alone! So warm and fresh, drool

That Rasin bread i made last night (with a splash of white grape juice for flavor) makes incredibly delicious toast, hot from the toaster with warm melty butter, the best way i can describe it is the way Homer Simpson does…

<gurgling drooling sounds>

i may just have a knack for this “baking” thingy after all, yes i know i’m “cheating” by using premade mixes and just tossing extra ingredients in, but once i get the basics down and start making my own loaves from scratch, look out…

My Dad makes an evil bacon and cheese bread now and then - he uses the dough option on the machine and then folds the bacon bits and grated cheese in before the second rising, topping it off with more bacon and cheese! YUMMY!!!

I bought a bread machine. I gained weight, so I took the bread machine to work. I, along with all my co-workers gained weight.
I sold the bread machine. I miss it so much. :frowning:

I hardly ever bake bread in my machine, just use it to knead the dough-pizza dough, mostly. Then roll out the dough a thin as a unicorn’s hymen, top with pesto, onions and ricotta…mmmmmmmmmm

Thanks loads! I was doing so well on my diet, too.

Oh, well. The machine is humming merrily along in the kitchen, loaded up with my Special Loaf: onions, cheese, shredded ham, peppers and Italian Seasoning. I know what’s for lunch!

Okay, crazy question for LOTR fanatics, what’s the recipie for Lambas bread, that’d be an interesting one to make in the bread machine…

Lembas

There’s a bread recipe thread over here

Your basic white bread recipe is:
1 cup water
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups white flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
Optional:
• 2 tablespoons potato flakes
• 1 tablespoon milk powder (optional)
• 1 egg

Place in oven to bake at 350°F (T = 6) 35-40 minutes. When bread is baked, if you tap on the top of the loaves it should sound hollow. Remove from pans immediately and cool on racks.

You can play around a lot with the above but that’s your basic starter.

You can also try pulling your dough out after the first rise, putting it in a bread pan and baking in the oven. A pizza stone turns a basic oven into a much better bread oven.

Also this recipe is usually a winner and you and really play with it:
PARMESAN HERB BREAD
3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (or Asiago) cheese
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (or beer)
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil

can add garlic, olives, peppers, different herbs, onions, scallions, cheese and just about anything and it will come out pretty tasty.

(Link disabled. – Ukulele Ike)

Be careful about your browsing history when you paste a URL from the clipboard! Maybe you meant this thread instead?

Oh ChinaGuy, since I joined the SDMB I have been living in fear of doing that myself. I’ve also been waiting with a sense of anticipatory Schadenfreude for someone else to do it… :smiley:

ummm, that’s a blocked site here in china and from the url probably a good thing. :rolleyes:

Nah! It’s not that bad really - you need to copy and paste the link to get it to work (my curiosity got the better of me!). It’s just a pic of a girl wearing a pearl face-mask!

Almost exactly the story of me and my KitchenAid mixer. I haven’t given it up, though, and I won’t. I’m just making everyone more aerodynamic and curvy.