Breakfast at Tiffany's

I just watched *Breakfast at Tiffany’s *for, I think, the first time. I’ve probably seen it before, but the only part that seemed familiar was throwing the cat out in the rain (which I HATED).

Anyway, throughout the entire movie, I kept thinking how much Marilyn Monroe would have made a more believable Holly Golightly. Now don’t get me wrong, I just adore Audrey Hepburn, but she was just too sophisticated for this role, especially given the character’s “back-woods” background. Hepburn was gorgeous and sophisticated, but Monroe was warmer and cuter, which I think is what the character needed. And Hepburn just could not pull off “quirky.”

After the movie, I went online and looked up the film, and - lo and behold! - I discovered that Truman Capote actually had Marilyn in mind for the role! Wow, I had no idea!

I did, on the other hand, know about Henry Mancini limiting *Moon River *to one octave, to accommodate Hepburn’s limited vocal range (good thing he wasn’t writing for Lauren Bacall).

I emphatically agree that it should have been Marilyn. Good though the Hepburn / Peppard combination was, I think we were all robbed of a great treat when they didn’t cast Marilyn in the role that was written with her in mind and that she was (IMHO) born to play.

I may be a lousy musician, but I figure Moon River requires more than an octave. I think it calls for a range of a ninth, or octave plus one tone. At least it did just now when I tried it out on my guitar. I await the flood of corrections from those with a better ear than mine.

You’re right. It includes Middle C, and the D from the next octave. That’s still a very limited range for a singer.

Something that amused me about the movie was how Holly was from Oklahoma, and she had the Okie accent for all of one word (“Hello.”), right after she finished singing “Moon River.”

But yeah, I love this movie in general, just for how different scenes are put together, such as when Holly and the writer guy are walking out to the street, and his “Interior Decorator” shows up in the cab, and during the conversation that ensues (with Holly standing akwardly by as the un-involved party in the conversation), she makes her exit by hopping into the taxi-cab, which drives off.

Also, it wasn’t until the 5th or 8th time that I saw the movie that I realized just how shallow Holly Golightly was (which, I suppose, was the entire point), but the whole movie is still fun :smiley:

“TIIIIIIMBEEERRRRR!!!”

Maybe they thought that substituting ditsy Marilyn Monroe with “conflicted” Audrey Hepburn would leave even fewer people like myself saying “Hell, I’d still rather get me some Patricia Neal!”

“So,” he said, “what do you think: is she or ain’t she?”
“Ain’t she what?”
“A phony.”
“I wouldn’t have thought so.”
“You’re wrong. She is a phony. But on the other hand you’re right. She isn’t a phony because she’s a real phony. She believes all this crap she believes. You can’t talk her out of it. I’ve tried with tears running down my cheeks.”

I really love this movie, but I wish they would make a version that sticks to the story of the book. The movie and the book are totally different. The Holly in the book is much darker than the Holly in the movie.

. . . and don’t you want to hunt down Mickey Rooney and beat him to death with a blunt object?

(I love Audrey, but she was wrong for the role . . . and I cannot stand Blake Ewards, there are few of his fims I can stomach).

Are you suggesting that she should’ve had the accent for more of the movie?

Like I need Breakfast at Tiffany’s as an excuse for that. But since Mickey’s apparently sold his soul to Satan in return for eternal life (but not eternal youth) I imagine beating him with anything would avail us little. Seriously, how old is he now, four thousand? Just die already!

:: ahem ::

Sorry about that. I have…issues…with Mickey Rooney.

I’m watching it right now, about 25 minutes in (party scene just started).

While I can see, especially when I read the book, that MM fits much better as Capote’s ideal for Holly, I know that if she had starred in this movie, I would not love it as I do. Audrey Hepburn carries the character off with such cool panache and urbane sophistication that Holly’s essential ditziness doesn’t hit you right away. With La Monroe, I’d see nothing but the ditziness.

Also, I don’t think I’d believe the friends-before-they-fall-in-love relationship that develops between Holly and Paul, particularly in that scene where they cuddle up in bed in a non-sexual way.

On the other hand, with Audrey Hepburn, I never entirely buy the Okie background.

She doesn’t say “Hello” at the end of “Moon River.” She says, “Hi… What’cha doing?”

Is that because of a perceived failing on MM’s part as an actress or because of your own image of her? Because I look at MM in something like The Prince and the Showgirl and she has plenty of panache and savvy.

It’s probably more my perception than what Monroe could do. I know she could do more as an actress than most of the roles she’s famous for gave her opportunity to do; I can see it sometimes in her earlier career, before she became a pop icon and pretty much a self-parody. She might well have done a good job as Holly, even at this late point in her career (1961), although I think her presentation of the character would’ve been very different from Hepburn’s. Nevertheless, I just know that I wouldn’t care for this movie as much if Monroe were in it. I prefer Hepburn–there it is.

I haven’t seen The Prince and the Showgirl recently enough to comment on it; I’ll have to take your word.

You must see it immediately. Everyone must see it immediately. Call me heretical but I think her performance as Elsie Marina is the best of her career.

. . . But doesn’t it make you wish you could have hunted down Laurence Olivier and beat him to death with a blunt object before fate did it for you?

How about hunting down Laurence Olivier and beat him to death with Mickey Rooney?

BTW, did you all know that Mickey Rooney’s mother’s name was Nell Carter? Try erasing ***that ***image from your mind’s eye!

Are you sure you aren’t confusing Olivier with Ramon Navarro?

Nah, just that I found it amusing.