Breakfast eateries

have you been to Big Al’s on Larchmont? He uses real corned beef in his hash

I’ve lost track of how many incredible breakfasts I’ve had at Harbor House (both locations). They’ve been around since 1939, are open 24 hours, and have an extensive menu. I’ve never left there still hungry. I have left there a few times after eating breakfast and ended up skipping dinner because I was still full.

Hehe, it’s kind of just a question of how big the tortilla is, how it is folded, and how many you will eat. I prefer tacos; one with chorizo, one with bacon, and one with potato. But I will happily have a burrito loaded with all three if that’s what’s available.

Wow, I didn’t figure it would fade out that quickly. Makes me shudder to think what my ex lead singer is suffering through in Boulder. Heh, who am I kidding? That pervert always cared more about snowboarding and mountain biking than he did about a good breakfast taco. So, he probably moved to the right place. For him.

Only one meat, but potato, cheese (Oaxaca), and a dose of salsa all in the tortilla.

Yeah, that’s why I prefer the smaller tacos. The cheese is nice, but I’d prefer to have a variety of meats, and decide how much salsa each taco gets. But then again, there’s no morning where I’ll turn down a nice burrito.

Eh, Colorado Springs is, overall, much like the conservative/boring portions of Colorado away from the front range. Conservative (though generally not as crazy as the Boebertian areas), and too mega-Churchy for my personal tastes, but more along the lines of what would previously been “Sane” Military republican stronghold. I’ve been to Denver, Boulder, and other more open parts of the state, and they all do much better.

It’s gotten a LOT better in terms of food diversity in the last 20 years, but Mexican food hasn’t had a resurgence. And classic “American” style food, or meat and potatoes are still very much the norm. So lots of decent places to get various eggs, bacon/sausage and breakfast breads are the norm around here.

But I’m certainly biased, after living mostly in NM from ages 6-22. It’s probably closer to the national average in quality, but below average for the Southwest.

That is the original Big Egg. Here is the full history:

I ate there once, early 90s.

In my town both the local IHOP and Denny’s closed, but there are still several local places that serve breakfast. The Gold Miner Cafe is a long standing popular spot if you’re looking for traditional American style breakfast. And there are a few places that do a bougie brunch menu if that’s more your thing (looking at their website I guess the Gold Miner is doing that now, too. I guess you have to change with the times). There’s also an Original Mels which appears to serve breakfast. I’ve never been in there, though. The place seems so fake to me, as in it’s clearly a newer restaurant that’s trying to look like a 1950s diner just for nostalgia’s sake.

Although it’s not close enough to call local, I do like to go to Pancake Circus when I happen to be in that part of Sacramento around breakfast time. That place really is a total time capsule from 1961, a classic greasy spoon diner, and is a great place to get breakfast as long as you don’t mind the weird clown theme.

If I’m getting what I want, I love a good plate of migas or machacado con huevos. But they’re not as common as breakfast tacos, and usually requires a sit-down kind of place.

My family’s more traditional, so I usually end up with some variant on the usual pancakes/eggs/sausage/bacon type breakfast when we go out for breakfast (usually on vacation) because that’s what they’ve got.

Remember Belisle’s? Yes, I lived in L.A., but my best friend lived in O.C. I was working in one of the 12-storey buildings on City Pkwy W until 2003. I was bummed when Belisle’s closed.

I can’t think of breakfast eateries without thinking of Crazy Otto’s in Lancaster, CA. Originally, it was on Sierra Hwy, right next to the railroad tracks. When a train went by, the whole place shook. (Otto was told he was crazy to build a diner there.) The original diner had about a dozen seats at a counter. By the time I got there, there was an additional dining room. There was a ‘wheel of fortune’ made of a bicycle rim. When a train went by, the wheel would be spun. The seats at the counter, and (I think) four seats in the dining room, were numbered. If the wheel stopped on your seat, your breakfast was free. When I started going there with dad in the mid-'70s, I’d get ham & eggs – three eggs, half a bone-in ham steak, and a huge mound of hashbrowns, accompanies with two biscuits and gravy (with sausage, bacon, and ham). Eventually, the ham steak was reduced by half, and there were only two eggs. But it was still plenty of food. After the Northridge 'quake, Metro Line needed the land; so Crazy Otto’s original diner relocated to 20th St. W. and Ave. K. They opened another location at the former Golden Corral on Ave. I. I preferred the ‘K-20’ location. (It was also like half a mile from dad’s house. :wink: )

Up here in NW Washington, we seldom go out for breakfast. When we do, it’s often Little Cheerful. Around the corner is The Horseshoe Café, which has been in business for 140 years. I like it, but SWMBO got a cold breakfast there once, so we haven’t been back. (Actually, I met some friends there in June. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: )

When I moved up here in late-2003, and back in the '90s when I would visit, Arlis’s Restaurant was an incredible place to have breakfast. The food had a Crazy Otto’s vibe. Their choice of bread included pancakes. (i.e., White, wheat, sourdough, biscuit, pancakes.) We went there a few months ago and… Not as good as it was 20 years ago. I’m more forgiving than The Missus, but it just didn’t do it for me.

We like visiting lighthouses, and Admiralty Head and Fort Casey are a favourite ‘short’ trip. On those trips, we like to stop at Shawn O’Donnell’s at the Farmhouse on the way down. I try to stick to my diet, but I can’t resit the soda farl and house-made jam.

I think I have some black pudding in the freezer (maybe not). I know I have back bacon and bangers. Hm…

I never had breakfast there but had a few late night desserts or fries there when I was dating a girl from Garden Grove in the early Nineties. The portions were notoriously large.