Breaking Bad 5.04 "Fifty-One" Aug. 5, 2012

Saul was leaving because Gus had threatened to murder Walt and Walt’s entire family, and as Saul said, “What am I if not family?” He was close enough to Walt that he knew that Gus might see him as a potential loose end. Now, since Gus is dead, there’s really no reason for him to flee.

Walt won.

And this season, Saul’s done when he says he’s done.

One of my favorite little bits in this show is how much Saul really thinks he’s part of the “gang.” Little comments like “What am I if not family” really just crack me up.

What a nice, 3-year decline. (2 years, actually)

My wife mentioned she noticed Walt coughing in the season opener at the diner. Anyone else catch that?

Yes.

Never, ever, forget that Saul is the same slimy weaselly ambulance chaser that he was when we first met him. He’s going to tell anyone anything that they want to hear if it means a couple more billable hours or a few more dollars that he can help move from one side of a table to the other side so that he can take a cut. He’s [almost] always go to do what he can to be everyone’s best friend.
Now, granted, in that case, Saul was fearing for his life, but he’s still hardwired to try to fix every situation he runs across to his advantage.

Yeah, he also took a couple of pills after coughing.

It would make perfect sense for Walt to kill Skyler and make it look like a suicide - she’s been depressed, withdrawn, and she removed the kids from the house so they wouldn’t have to find her body after the deed is done.

Even if she can’t testify, she can tell Hank what she knows. As someone else noted, she doesn’t really know much, but if Hank believes her, tailing Walt to the next cook house, and then tailing the new distribution network is going to bring everything down.

They wouldn’t need her testimony in court.

She also had a ‘breakdown’ in front of Marie (but haven’t we all wanted to say that to Marie) and had another ‘episode’ in front on Marie, Hank and Walt. If she killed herself ‘tonight’, I don’t think anyone would think anything of it. I don’t think that’s the way things will, happen, I’m just saying, it would seem normal with the way things have been progressing with her.

err… That should read “non-magnetic.”

Making it look like Skyler killed herself would be Walt’s best option, but as despicable as Walt has become, it seems he really, truly loves Skyler. I can’t see even Heisenberg breaking that bad.

Unless it comes to self-defense. Hrmmm… :dubious:

I liked when Marie says that it seems like much more than a year ago that the events of the series began. I find the issue of the timeline comes up a lot when fans are discussing the show.

I have to admit, I find Skyler boring. For example, I understand why she had an affair with Ted, I just found those scenes really boring. Middle aged accountant romance just isn’t as exciting the meth trade. Everyone I talk to in real life agrees with me, but everyone on the internet seems to love Skyler. I know I should feel bad for her, BUT SHE LOOKED UP MONEY LAUNDERING ON WIKIPEDIA! Then she tried to act like she knew more about money laundering than Saul. The laser tag thing was a good idea. It made perfect sense. Scientists love lasers! I have no idea why the wikipedia thing makes me like her less than a bunch of murderers, but it does.

Speaking of sympathetic murderers, Mike and Jesse need their own spin-off.

[South Park]She’s coming right for me[/SP]

The more glaring issue that Hank should notice is that Skyler supposedly cheated on Walt, but Walt is not acting upset about it at all, and Skyler is acting like she was the one who was betrayed.

Sure she could flip. She could wear a wire, she could surrender the money and detail the finances and how they were hidden, or she could just fill Hank in enough so that he could put a tail on Walt and see what he’s up to.

Unless I see a cite, or a lawyer chimes in convincingly, I don’t think spousal privilege works the way that some people are saying. Skyler can’t be *forced *to testify against her husband, but I really don’t think she can be barred from doing so willingly. Plus, even if her testimony *was *inadmissible at trial, I don’t think that prevents her from seeking immunity for her cooperation. She would just need to confess her own involvement in laundering money, turn it over, and advise the DEA enough so that they would put a tail on Walt and obtain probable cause on their own. So, even if the assertions of some sort of privileged spousal communications are true, she wouldn’t even have to reveal any privileged communications in order to effectively rat him out.

I can see a scenario where skyler does “suicide by Walt”. She tells him outright that she will go to hank the next day and tell him everything and that the only way to stop her is for him to kill her.

So he does

Maybe I’m misremembering, but it seems like everyone keeps saying allegedly or supposedly cheats/sleeps with Ted. I’m pretty sure Skyler and Ted did sleep together (after some sort of weird flirting phase). I didn’t think there was a question about it.
IFT.

She already said she “can’t go to the police”. I really don’t think there will be any kind of angle with Skyler and the cops and/or Hank. Barking up the wrong tree there.

if you were scared shitless of your own husband and knew he had murdered several people you’d say that you couldn’t go to the police too.

The fear of what skyler might do, whether its commit suicide, goad walter into killing her, run away, or go to the DEA is adding dramatic tension to this season, I don’t see that the writers have ruled out any options so far. It would be strange for them to do so when keeping the ambiguity going is what feeds the whole show.

I’m glad you brought this up, because I was meaning to do the same. I have the exact opposite problem as you, but could also be misremembering.

The hazy way I remember it was that Skyler and Ted were doing some serious flirting, and they definitely shared a passionate kiss in the office, but that was it. Skyler *told *Walt “I fucked Ted” to get some comeuppance, but I don’t remember it ever being clear that she actually did.

No they had an affair for some time, we see scenes of Skyler waking up in Ted’s house. Check the wiki listing for episode “green light”.