Breaking Bad 5.04 "Fifty-One" Aug. 5, 2012

What about carbon monoxide poisoning in her office at work. It’s right outside the end of the car wash tunnel…right at the part where they have to re-start the cars and leave them running for a few minutes. Maybe the there’s an exhaust fan overhead that’s running to close or in a shared chase as an HVAC vent for her office…Maybe something springs a leak and poisons her over the course of the day…
It would make sense, no one would suspect anything, Saul would clean up any loose ends and sell the business.

BTW, Skyler can’t flip can she? She doesn’t know enough, right? If she even tried, I think she’d wind up jailed for laundering, but doesn’t know anything other then that Walt is a meth dealer. Does she even know that he cooks? She called him a dealer last night.

Oh yes. Bitch has it coming. Doesn’t matter that she’s freakin’ hot!

She specifically knows that he cooks. He made that clear when he first came clean.

Okay, but she still doesn’t know anywhere near enough to flip. She doesn’t know when or where or with who or how or who his suppliers or dealers are. It’s not like she can go to the DEA and say “If you let me go on the laundering thing, I’ll tell you everything I know”. OTOH, she’s quite aware of that and made that quite clear last night. If she could flip, she would have brought it up. Hell, she probably wouldn’t have said it, she would have just done it. She would’ve just gone to Hank and pulled the trigger weeks ago.

I’m kind of wondering (and maybe this is just a plot hole) why she just doesn’t kill him. Get herself a black market gun. Follow him around some day and just pop a hole in him at some random location. Restaurant, driving down the street, whatever. Maybe the cops will call it random violence, maybe she’ll get him in a lab and they’ll put everything together and figure it’s drug related, but he’ll be out of the picture.
Would she go to jail if she could convince everyone that he’d forced her to launder the money under some sort of threat (jail, violence)? If she popped him in some random location, they likely wouldn’t even find out about it since they wouldn’t comb through the finances and it’s not like he has “Make Meth” on his “To Do” list.

There’s also the fact that they’re still married and Walt can prevent her from testifying against him.

No he can’t. That is not how it works. She can certainly testify against him but she can’t be forced to do so.

Huh?

Wait, I think the law or amendment or whatever it is states that someone can choose not to testify/incriminate against their spouse, not that one can prevent the other one from testifying.
That would make domestic abuse cases just about non-existent.

She could tell Hank what little she knows and then Hank can set up a tail. Mike can recognize and shake a tail. Walt can’t. Although maybe Mike would figure out that Walt is being tailed and thwart it.

I should have been more specific. The spousal communication privilege (which belongs to both parties, the person testifying and the person accused, and its survives divorce) would enable Walt to prevent her from testifying about any communication between them. She would only be able to testify regarding her own direct observations. At this point, all she knows about Walt’s business is what he has told her, so she wouldn’t be able to testify about it.

So if a father has been beating a child, but the wife hasn’t observed it, however he has told her he’s done it, bragged about it, verbally threatened to do it to her…she can’t say anything about it on the stand?

Replace “child” with something else if the family connection messes with the story. Student, neighbor, pet, random person etc

Or is this something totally separate. I just can’t believe that if my hypothetical wife were to say to me “I’m doing something super illegal” and I turn them over to the police that when I go on the stand I wouldn’t be able to repeat that conversation.

She’s been laundering the money. I think that’s enough to start a conversation with the authorities.

There is a narrow line between a “threat,” which is considered an action in words and “communication.” But, yeah, that’s the point about the spousal communication privilege. Barring some narrow exceptions, you wouldn’t be able to say what she told you on the stand.

That makes more sense. It’s privileged communication like with a therapist or clergy.

Even a priest can tell a cop about the communication if it helps prevent a future crime. The spouse can still talk to a cop who could start an investigation and find enough evidence to convict.

[Arrested Development]I got the worst bleep attorney [/AD]

I don’t think she’ll kill him – unless she can make his death look like an accident – because of the impact it would have on Walt Jr. She’s all about the kids, Walt Jr. in particular. If she’d treat him like the adult he’s becoming, maybe they’d both have a chance.

I hope she goes to Hank.

Ahh, of course, that makes much more sense with Mike’s lines about:

[spoiler]“There’s two kinds of heists…”

Also… Todd looks like he’s in deeper than just fumigating![/spoiler]

Hopefully this wonderful little picture hasn’t been posted yet

Enjoying this season just as much as always, so far… but one thing I don’t quite understand. Near the end of last season, Saul was frantically packing up his office ready to bail out and flee. Now he’s back. Do we know what happened?

As far as analogy goes, the things that caught my eye this Ep:

The watch, in it’s final scene, ticking like a time bomb, a reminder that Walt is one, he’s running out of time (cancer/DEA investigation), and it passed 50, 51…

The Heisenberg hat was a symbol big time in this Ep. He decided to sell the Aztek, once he gazed upon his hat again. He shaved his head, and bled, and when he was voting about Lydia, he was thumbing an unraveling thread on it. There is no more Walt right now, just Heisenberg. He’s unraveling, and yet, ironically, he’s so certain…

This is a bit of a stretch, but I love chemistry, so I can’t help it…

Element 50 is tin. A soft, cheap, bendable, non-toxic, non-metallic, shiney, friendly metal. Used mostly in creating toys back in the day. If exposed for a while, over many bitter cold months, it undergoes an allotropic (change in its crystalline structure) change of an ugly, dull-gray metallic powder.

Element 51… Antimony. A hard, brittle, but brilliant looking metalloid. It’s mostly used in lead to harden it… such as in bullets. Also, “anti-money” :cool:

Element 52? One of the most rare, and (relatively) expensive metals: Tellurium. Some pretty esoteric applications, like Blu-Ray discs (blue meth) but you lose tellurium, you lose your home entertainment fix.

Also, come into contact with a tiny amount, and you reek of garlic. Why couldn’t it be bacon?!

That’s about as much symbolism as I could stretch out of those elements which I’m sure the writers never gave a thought to. But still, it was fun.