Breast Augmentation -- How long has this been going on?

A lot of actresses (and regular folks, as well) nowadays pay to get bigger boobs. I was wondering – how long have we had the technology to do this? Perhaps a better question would be: How long has this type of plastic surgery been affordable? Since the 1980s? Or before that?

Since the 1890’s, according to this site: History of Breast Implants and Augmentation

It didn’t really hit its stride until the 1960’s and silicone implants, however.

There’s a great BBC series by Micheal Mosley called “Blood and Guts” that in one episode examined early plastic surgery (which is far far earlier than you’d imagine).

As in Qadgop the Mercotan’s link, hot paraffin wax was used (even in facelifts :eek:) before silicone was available. I don’t recall if breasts per se were a topic, but if you’re interested in surrounding topics, I’d recommend it.

First, let me say, Holy $#!%!!!. Second, that guy really needs to remove the link to the satirical Tara Reid Breast Implant article from his page.

Tangentially related, but supposedly Lon Chaney injected fat into his face (to create a more boney look by beefing up his cheekbones and such) to play the role of the Phantom of the Opera back in 1925.

IN the British Museum there is a mummy of a soldier from circa 1500 BC with a prothetic toe. I would not be surprised if breast augmentation was around then.

I don’t recall where I read it (which says I don’t know how trustworthy it is), But I read somewhere that immediately post-WWII Japanese women (bar girls, I assume) were having silicone injected for breast augmentation in order to appeal to the American GIs. The syuff was production grade, and not packaged in implants. It’s plausible, but I don’t know if it’s true.