Breeding aquarium fish?

Are there any types of fish that will breed and replenish themselves in an aquarium?

After having one for awhile i am growing tired of having to restock every 6 months,and the only things breeding are the snails.

My experience is with guppies and black mollies, both are live bearers. you just have to be fast to get the small ones out of the tank with the bigger fish.

Salt or fresh?

I know nothing about fw, but www.reefcentral.com has an entire forum on breeding.

Clownfish are easy and beautiful and fun.

Any fish will breed given the correct conditions: Light, heat, season, water type, algae & PH levels, members of the opposite sex, and so on…

There’s quite a bit to learn about breeding (a lot can be species specific, too), and a great deal of care and attention required to breed fish sucessfully. Then you have to help the Fry (baby fish) survive.

I suggest a good book on the topic.

A question for you? What are you doing that you have to re-stock every 6 months? I’ve had the same fish for 3 or 4 years now, they’re as healthy as I am. You might want to look into whay your fish are dting so quickly. What kind of fish do you have? What type of set up? What kind of equipment are you using?

Yes, NGNL is correct, I should qualify “easy”.

If you can’t keep their parents alive for six months, you have little hope of rearing the fry.

Guppies will certainly breed in captivity. When I was a kid, we started out with a tank full of tropical fish – mollies, swordtails, neon tetras, and guppies. I a few months, we had a tank full of guppies. I now think of them as the cockroach of the tropical fish world.

When I first learned that guppies would eat their own young, my first reaction was “How Horrible!”. I have since realized that the problem is that they don’t do it enough.

Actually NGNL is not correct.

Most–in fact nearly all–of the fish you’re likely to see in the freshwater trade are bred in captivity. Not many of them are bred in tanks, however: most of them come from rectangular open-air “ponds” in Florida or Southeast Asia.

Very few of the saltwater fish you’re likely to find in the trade are bred in captivity; there’s probably a handful of species that are easily enough bred to be economically viable.

The freshwater fish that are easiest to breed are the New World livebearers, like guppies, mollies, platys, and swordfish, among others. There are many hobbyist groups devoted to breeding the various more-challenging egglayers: I’ve been to African cichlid conventions, South American cichlid conventions, anabantid (bettas, gouramis, etc.) conventions, and of course goldfish and kois conventions.

My favorite “challenging” fish to breed was the killifish, which also happen to be about the most beautiful freshwater fishes on the planet, as well as among the most interesting.

Most killies are “annuals” in the wild. That is, like an annual plant, they are only alive seasonally. When the rains come to Africa or South America, the dry watering holes and riverbeds, which were seeded by the previous generation of killies, fill with water again and the eggs hatch, producing the next generation of killies, who will grow fast and breed quickly, before the dry season returns and their short lives end…

This means, of course, that killies can survive pretty extreme conditions: they don’t always require filtration; and learning about their breeding cycle in order to age and dry the eggs properly (not all species require this) is a fascinating challenge.

But since their breeding is so labor intensive, and their lifespans so short (up to a few years in captivity), you’re not likely to find them in a pet store; certainly not in the giant box stores that are putting the independent stores out of business. You’ll have to contact a group of killie breeders, and get involved with them. They will also of course be your best source of information.

Start with The American Killifish Association.

Okay so what eactly did NGNL say that wasn’t correct lissener?

All I see said is: “Any fish will breed given the correct conditions”; “there’s quite a bit to learn about breeding”, and if the whole tank is dying every six months there’s something wrong.

Didn’t see anything in your post proving or even suggesting otherwise… so… :confused:

The OP referred to breeding fish in an aquarium. NGNL’s answer that “any fish will breed given the right conditions” is incorrect as an answer to that question. Many, many species of fish cannot be bred in captivity, let alone in a box of water in your livingroom.

Most aquarium fish will only breed when very healthy and happy. If you are having to replace all the fish in your tank every 6 months, it’s unlikely you’re keeping them anywhere near healthy enough for them to be breeding.

You could get Convict Cichlids. They’ll breed anywhere. But you won’t be ably to keep anything else living in the tank with them.

Swordfish are a blast. As an added bonus, if you can’t find any males, just buy a bunch of females and eventually one will obligingly become a male. (My parents got to do The Facts of Life, Part Two: Fish Edition.)

I should note that the entire tank isn’t dead after 6 months,simply that the population has dwindled down by that time that i feel it needs a restocking.
It’s a 60 gallon freshwater btw,and the best luck i have had is with the small school of tiger tetras that is almost all original.

Thanks for all the responses.
"Guppies will certainly breed in captivity. When I was a kid, we started out with a tank full of tropical fish – mollies, swordtails, neon tetras, and guppies. I a few months, we had a tank full of guppies. I now think of them as the cockroach of the tropical fish world.
"
lol i can only guess that i have too many different species which are eating each others young,since i’ve never seen an increase in my guppies.

Perhaps you mean tiger barbs, unless a tetra has been renamed or discovered in my absence from the fish trade.

And if you have tiger barbs, they will most certainly eat as many guppies as you can provide them: I’ve seen fish scrimmage behind a birthing livebearer like single girls at a bouquet toss.