Bricker Challenge 2005, Edition # 2½

Following, please find the questions for the Bricker Challenge 2005, Edition # 2½

The rules, as always, are simple: I have posted a list of … stuff. You, the contest participant, must identify each item and/or answer each question. For example, if one item were: “Is the quality of mercy strained?” you might answer, “No. It falleth as gentle rains from the heavens,” which would show you recognize the classic speech from Portia in Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice. Even better would be if you added that the speech came from Portia in Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice.

“What is NaCl?” Your answer might be, “The chemical symbols for sodium chloride, common table salt.”

An answer that shows you get the reference is fine, as long as it explains every element in the question. If it’s a joke, explain the joke. Leave no stone unturned. Be the party know-it-all that explains why the malaprop is funny, and what the speaker MEANT to say. Some questions may contain deliberate errors of spelling, or of meaning. Correct the misapprehension or the mistake. “What’s that movie where Shelley Duvall says ‘I love the smell of napalm in the morning?’” needs to be answered with “Apocalypse Now” but ALSO a note that the actor was Robert Duvall, not Shelley Duvall.

I’m phrasing questions ambiguously in an effort to cut down on the help that search engines can provide, although there’s no getting around it … many will be answerable by search engine anyway. There is no rule against using search engines (or any other reference) although I would appreciate if, just for curiosity’s sake, you note that you got the answer by search engine as opposed to simply knowing it.

I am awarding a $25 gift certificate from Amazon.com as the prize to the winner. Alternatively, if the winner is not a subscribed member and wishes to become so, I am awarding a one-year paid subscription to the SDMB. A winner who is already subscribed may donate his subscription to another person of his choosing, but must identify the recipient within a reasonable period of time.

The winner is the person that answers the most questions correctly by post here dated on or before Saturday, July 16th, at 11:00 PM EST, or the first person to answer all questions correctly before that time. I reserve the right to substitute another prize of comparable value for any reason. My decisions are final as to the accuracy of all answers. I may, or may not, provide intermediate feedback as to the number of correct answers each entrant has, but if I make any errors in doing so, it’s your tough luck. I won’t score posts with less than five correct answers. Only the single post with the most correct answers by the deadline qualifies you as a winner. In the unlikely event of a tie, which would occur if two or more posts have the same date/time stamp and both have the highest number of correct answers, the prize will be split amongst each tied contestant.

The next post has the questions. Good luck!

• Rick
  1. With this Bricker Challenge, I come to you to test you with hard questions, but don’t get me wrong – Solomon never seduced me and converted me to Christianity, and I’m not even royalty.
  2. Janie tells the story to Phoebe on the steps of the back porch.
  3. Phoebe didn’t know Travis shoots Old Yeller.
  4. If you found a Kasper Hauser, would you start to believe in alien abduction?
  5. If you found a Maxwell Hauser, would you support him for president of the student body?
  6. If they could only have used a DNA test, Dimmesdale’s appeal would have been very different.
  7. Do you trust Hank Reardon’s mettle?
  8. Tell me about the night that was sans peur et sans reproche.
  9. The Association sang to us that everyone knows it’s Windy, but what about flying with Michael and John? Who did that?
  10. If your friend Crispis Atucks invites you to come protest with him, say you’ve got other plans.
  11. Hold the pickles and the lettuce, because, really, we’re fine with special orders.
  12. What’s the difference between a killer and an obliterator?
  13. Although the novel never explicitly identifies him, what literary character engages Oscar Gordon in a swordfight for the Egg of Wisdom?
  14. What was the name of that famous old Greek teacher who died from an overdose of wedlock?
  15. The three types of columns: doorick, ironic, and … ?
  16. Randolph and Mortimer were homeless bums until they got a sackful of money. Perhaps they can go back to making $1 bets.
  17. It was Henry VI and Edward VI – why do flowers come into it?
  18. Where might you be if you saw a magic show put on by illusionist Anthony Blake?
  19. Nobody does that to Mrs. Russ Crane!
  20. 197.14.24.3 and 197.14.24.7 are on the same network, but 197.14.24.10 is on a different network. What is the correct subnet mask for 197.14.24.5 ?
  21. In Plato’s “Republic,” they keep blabbing about cave shadows – what’s up with that?
  22. Hey, at least “Be all you can be,” is a little better approach than what caused the 1807 Embargo Act.
  23. Capital of the Incas, or a David Spade voice.
  24. Evaluate sin[sup]-1/sup
  25. Susan Silverman’s fling with Russell Corrigan ended much worse than Meg Ryan’s fling with Russell Crowe.
  1. What was the name of that famous old Greek teacher who died from an overdose of wedlock?

Socrates, and it was hemlock, not wedlock.
15. The three types of columns: doorick, ironic, and … ?

It’s Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian.

Ghanima! You’re supposed to give me the answers to questions I don’t know!

–Cliffy

I’ll mark the ones I did “off the top of my head” with a *. If 14 is wrong someone needs to look for a Greek philosopher that died of VD on Wikipedia.

1. Dimmesdale impregnated the female protagonist in ‘The Scarlet Letter’ and denied doing so (until the end, at least)

2. I don’t trust anything created by Ayn Rand. :smiley:

3. Socrates *

4. Corinthian *

5. War of the Roses *

6. 197.14.24.248 *

7. Impressment *

8. 2pi/3 *
    I need to read more ‘literature’. :frowning:

1. The Association sang to us that everyone knows it’s Windy, but what about flying with Michael and John? Who did that?

Wendy and Peter Pan

1. It was Henry VI and Edward VI – why do flowers come into it?

The War of the Roses, named for the badges of the two houses involved. Also its actually Edward IV.

Doh! I munged the netmask; the first 3 octets should have been all ones (it’s not a broadcast address!). Revised, and incorporating new answers:

1. Dimmesdale impregnated the female protagonist in ‘The Scarlet Letter’ and denied doing so (until the end, at least)

2. I don’t trust anything created by Ayn Rand. :smiley:

3. Peter Pan

4. Socrates *

5. Corinthian *

6. War of the Roses *

7. 255.255.255.248 *

8. Impressment *

9. 2pi/3 *
    I need to read more ‘literature’. :frowning:
    [/QUOTE]

1. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there

2. Massacres are never pretty

3. Have it your way

4. If that’s all you saw, your reality may be skewed

I forgot

1. Poor Hester Prynne, I agree a PCR might have helped her case
  1. If you found a Kasper Hauser, would you start to believe in alien abduction? Kaspar Hauser was the young man found wandering the streets who had been raised with no human contact. (Benjamin Bathurst would have been better for this question.)

2. Tell me about the night that was sans peur et sans reproche. The knight was Sir Galahad.

3. If your friend Crispis Atucks invites you to come protest with him, say you’ve got other plans. Crispus Attucks was killed in the Boston Massacre.

4. Hold the pickles and the lettuce, because, really, we’re fine with special orders. Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don’t upset us, have it your way at Burger King.

5. Although the novel never explicitly identifies him, what literary character engages Oscar Gordon in a swordfight for the Egg of Wisdom? Cyrano de Bergerac.

6. What was the name of that famous old Greek teacher who died from an overdose of wedlock? Socrates. Hemlock.

7. The three types of columns: doorick, ironic, and … ? korintiun.

8. Randolph and Mortimer were homeless bums until they got a sackful of money. Perhaps they can go back to making $1 bets. They were the rich brothers who set up Eddie Murphy in Trading Places, then were given the money by Eddie Murphy in Coming to America.

9. It was Henry VI and Edward VI – why do flowers come into it? A white rose and a red rose were the symbols of the competing sides in the War of the Roses.

1. First casualty of the American Revolution. Black gentleman whose name is actually spelled “Crispus Attucks”. Killed during the Boston Massacre in 1770.

2. Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce; special orders don’t upset us. McDonald’s jingle from when I was a wee lass.

3. That would be the Egg of the Phoenix, and I always thought it was Count Caligostro he was fighting, but it’s been a while and I may be mistaken.

4. Trading Places. Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd. Fairly lame plot device (first popularized in the Prince and the Pauper) in which Dan Ackroyd’s privileged character is orchestrated to change places with Eddie Murphy the low-rent hustler for the satifsaction of a bet between Randolph and Mortimer.

5. Wars of the Roses. Civil wars fought between the House of Lancaster (Henry) and the House of York (Edward) in the middle to late 15th Century in England. Ultimately ended up with Henry VII of the House of Tudor on the throne.

6. Apparently (according to Plato), man’s rise to consciousness and an appreciation of his world and the philosophical underpinnings thereof can be appropriately analogized as a man raised in a cave rising out of the cave and into the light of reason and understanding. Or something. Plato fills me with the ultimately-futile urge to beat him with a brick therefore I can’t be quoted on this particular viewpoint of his.

1. If you found a Maxwell Hauser, would you support him for president of the student body?

Why not, I like Jon Cryer.
13. Although the novel never explicitly identifies him, what literary character engages Oscar Gordon in a swordfight for the Egg of Wisdom?

Cyrano De Bergerac, for the Egg of the Phoenix.

Best of luck on this, everyone.

1. Who’s she, the Queen of Sheba? Got chucked in the Serpentine again, to avoid the summer heat, no doubt.

2. Pheobe’s mom always stopped the Disney movie before Old Yeller gets it in the sweetbreads, as she had hydrophobia-phobia.

3. Y’know, I hated the 1980s. Even more than I hated high school, especially older guys who dated girls in high school that I liked.

4. Do you mean the first casualty of the American Revolution, Crispus Attucks?

5. Have it your way at Burger King…

6. Slam bang, I bin all them places. I was Agent Orange, man! “Trading Places.”

7. The Wars of the Roses. York and Lancaster, white and red (don’t ask me to recall which was which, though.)

8. This had a huge impact on Canada (or British North America, as it then was); Jefferson’s Act basically had the intent of protesting British and French interference in US commerce on the high seas, but had the unintended effect of stopping all trade between the US and any other nation; it also helped stoke up anti-British feeling in the run-up to the War of 1812.

So you’re not the Queen of Sheba.

No. It is a weird story, but I assume he was a victim of earthlings.

Sure. Any high school could use a stockbroker as its president (John Cryer character from the movie Hiding Out).

It would have proven that he was genuine father-of-pearl (Dimmsedale was the priest in The Scarlet Letter)

I don’t know but I guess I would trust Reardon Metal (Reardon is a steel magnate in Ayn rand’s Atlas Shrugged

Wendy (Peter Pan).

Good advice. I’d rather not end up as the answer to a trivia question as the first guy killed in a revolution.

You are Brger King.

Cyrano DeBergerac (in Heinlein’s Glory Road. I believe it was the Egg of the Phoenix, by the way, not the Egg of wisdom.

Socrates.

Corinthian. Both of the above to questions are allusions to real answers given on tests by school kids.

This is the ending of Trading Places.

They were on badges worn by royal houses during the War of the Roses.

In the Magic Castle…as an extra…watching Bill Bixby in a 70’s television show called The Magician.

Plato’s cave is an exetnded metaphor in which characters are chained inside a cave and the only thing they can see is shadowplays on the wall from candles behind their heads. They believe that these shadowplays are all there is in the universe.

The Napoleonic wars?

Cuzco.

Metacom: 7
This Year’s Model: 8
Rodd Hill: 6
Diogenes: 15

1. What are you, the Queen of Sheba? Guess not.

2. Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching God is set as a story told from Janie to her friend Pheoby.

3. Friends – Phoebe’s mother always turned the movie off before the sad part.

4. No – Kaspar, a boy who appeared mysteriously in Nurenberg, was possibly abducted by his uncle’s family, but not aliens.

5. Maxwell Hauser is Andrew Morenski is Jon Cryer is Hiding Out.

6. Yes – Dimmesdale managed to keep his indiscretion with Hester secret for quite a while. (The Scarlet Letter)

7. I don’t trust anyone who is a protagonist in an Ayn Rand novel, but his metal is supposed to be the bees’ knees.

8. The knight that was without fear and without reproach was Sir Galahad. Also Peter Bayard.

9. Wendy Darling (Peter Pan)

10. I’d rather not be the first casualty of the American Revolution

11. Hold the pickles/Hold the lettuce/Special orders don’t upset us – Have it your way at Burger King

12. A killer is any postmark or cancellation mark which makes a stamp unuseable. An obliterator is a device specifically designed to cancel stamps. (Obliterators – or at least the marks they make – are a subset of killers.)

13. Cyrano de Bergerac, in Glory Road.

14. Socrates, and it’s hemlock. Indeed, given some of the things he was accused of, it’s probably safe to say it was an underdose of wedlock.

15. Doric, ionic, and fine Corinthian leather. Er, uh, marble.

16. The Duke brothers from Trading Spaces (Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche).

17. War of the Roses, due to the devices of the Houses that fought it.

18. In my living room, watching an episode of The Magician, starring Bill Bixby.

19. Said by crime boss Lombino (Kurtwood Smith) regarding his wife in the film Quick Change. Russ Crane was his alias.

20. 255.255.255.248

21. The parable of the cave is Plato’s metaphysics. He analogizes man’s imperfect observations of the world as shadows in a cave where the occupants cannot see the actual thing casting the shadow.

22. Impressment of Americans by the British navy.

23. Kuzco was the voice. The incan capital is typically spelled Cusco or Cuzco.

24. 2/3 of pi, which is ~2.094…

25. In Robert B. Parker’s Spenser novel iBackstory, Susan is the subject of a hitman’s contract. Ryan and Crowe’s shenanigans just took the focus off their movie (Proof of Life).

–Cliffy

Regarding question #14, I keep thinking that “wedlock” was what Bricker meant. Hemlock and Socrates seems a bit too simple to me.

With an engineering degree (not that I’ve done much math since I’ve left college…) I should have remembered that sin and friends are periodic. :smack:

Cliffy: 22