Bricker is a Pile of Shit Sculpted into Human Shape

I don’t think you’re in a position to understand what Huey’s rage is all about. Don’t compare your ‘plight’ and your perceived racism in the reverse with that of people of color in America.

The fact is that America was established by racists on the platform of an economic system that depended on racism and classicism to function in the first half of our country’s history. What’s worse is that America has had opportunities to reconcile its evils, but ultimately never really done so in a way that can be considered constructive. So in the 1960s we finally became enlightened enough to stop barring immigrants of color entry into this country and allowed natural born persons of color to have more equal standing under the law. Great.

But as we’ve seen, unless we fundamentally do change more than just laws, unless we decide to address things such as economic and social inequality, then we’ve never really made that much progress. Electing a black man - well, half black - doesn’t really change the equation either.

What really needs changing is America’s fundamental value system, which is flawed and continues to promote inequality of all stripes even today. Maybe the system doesn’t explicitly encourage racism, but by not pursuing socioeconomic parity, we’re consciously choosing to engender a perverse form of competition between individuals and groups.

I don’t think this conflicts with my understanding of his main point. It may conflict with some other points he’s made, and I do indeed disagree with some of those other things he’s said (don’t recall them all off the top of my head).

[Moderating]
In our culture - that is to say, the SDMB - “coon” is a violation of our hate speech rules, as are derived terms such as “coonery.” Do not use these terms on the board again.

No warning issued.
[/Moderating]

With all due respect, you’ll have to warn NPR too. And black scholars on CNN.

Just because the word may have descended from a word you may not like doesn’t make that word by itself “hate speech.”

But by all means, get niggardly about it if you must.

“Niggardly” is not derived from the word “nigger”.

Which is irrelevant to the point: Ignorance of the definition of a word that “sounds” like a bad word caused someone to lose their job for using it which is not much different than someone using a word that “sounds” like a bad word drew the ire of a moderator.

The issue is not etymology but ignorance which I understood this board attempted to eradicate.

Sorry my attempt to be cute caused you to miss that.

Well, you were trying to be “cute” by shoehorning the word “niggardly” where it didn’t belong and the issue is indeed etymology and actual word definitions. “Coonery” is very obviously meant as “stereotypical black” and “niggardly” means stingy which has nothing to do with black stereotypes. Why should Miller be obtuse about the actual meaning of words in his moderating?

If you had used the word “gypped”, where the race element is mostly forgotten but still a valid point, your post would have been less stupid.

One of the seals has just cracked, and I agree with octopus. Huey uses a fluid construction of race to attack people with whom he does not agree. Your children are autistic, well it’s because whites are inbred. Your children are people of color? Well, they are not sufficiently people of color, so fuck them.

octopus is right to note that there is no one way to be black or white or asian or purple. Huey’s use of a purity standard of conduct and thereby of blood (?!) is nonsense at best and harmful to any dialogue. Huey is as virulent a racist as any Nazi who walks the earth. He’s just getting a pass here because we sympathize with his message. Does he raise valuable questions? Absolutely. Is he well-spoken and articulate? Yes. Is he a racist, hate-driven deliverer of screeds? Hell yeah. Enjoy him, but stop pretending he’s Martin Luther King Jr, here to save us all.

Also, FTR, Bricker does have standards, and he does not support republicans at all costs.

Feel free. Just realize that using a racist argument to do so is poor form.

I understand Huey’s point of view. I disagree that racist attacks are productive or non-hypocritical tools to advocate his point of view.

Okay, let me clarify.

The term is not “hate speech” and should not be treated as such.

Sorry that even after my explanation you still are not smart enough to get it.

I’m not a moderator for NPR or CNN, so I can’t really do that.

No, but you can see the evidence provided from mainstream outlets that a term you were evidently not familiar with is not “hate speech” and, having that ignorance eradicated, issue a mild mea culpa and affirm that the use of the term will not cause you to take your moderator hat off the hat rack.

You could also thank me for eradicating a tiny sliver of your ignorance, which is supposedly why we’re all here, but I’m too humble to expect or request such recognition.

Yup. Shit’s dehumanizing.

Oh hell no. Some smug jackass on the Internet who likes tweaking wipipos’ noses is not as virulent as someone who runs a gas shower. Not cool.

cringe

1. There is no single definition of “hate speech”, so you can thank the rest of us for educating you on that.

2. It’s also one thing to discuss the idea of “coonery” and another thing entirely to slap that label on another poster. CNN and NPR are doing the former. Huey is doing the latter. If you want to suggest that Miller narrow his moderation to casual use directed at other posters and outside the discussion of the subject, that’s fine. But your comparison fails.

Fuck you. Cunt.

:smack: I earned that one. I wasn’t referring to specifics, which are horrific, but to his perceived value to the board. Very (very, very) poorly conveyed. I retract the point entirely.

Please accept my humble apologies.

I’m glad someone does. I take Huey’s point to be, “People have hurt me, and I’m lashing out at anyone who resembles them.” And what is “whiteness”?

But it’s a pretty safe bet that if mainstream media outlets and scholars are using a term and there is no push-back or controversy that the term probably isn’t “hate speech,” yes?

I believe I can call you an asshole in the Pit. Not hate speech. Not worthy of an admonishment for hate speech.

You’re an asshole. There, I totally slapped that label on you, boy howdy! That doesn’t make it hate speech.

But tell me more about failing comparisons!

Start here: Whiteness studies - Wikipedia

There have been lots of threads about it.

It’s a term.

Race is a social construct. Googling I see this definition of whiteness: There are several different components of whiteness. These include: 1) racial identity, 2) racial bias, and 3) racial privilege. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/between-the-lines/201112/the-meaning-whiteness

Though to be honest I prefer this one: Whiteness, within sociology, is defined as a set of characteristics and experiences that are attached to the white race and white skin. In the U.S. and European contexts, whiteness marks ones as normal, belonging, and native, while people in other racial categories are perceived as and treated as unusual, foreign, and exotic. Sociologists believe that what whiteness is and means is directly connected to the construction of people of color as “other” in society. Because of this, whiteness comes with a wide variety of privileges. Whiteness: Definition in Sociology

ETA: Ninjad.