British dopers, tell me about your meals

You can allus dump yer sossidge on top of the beans old chap

You’ve never had tiffin? In this day and age? Shouldn’t you be ashamed of yourself?

Get thee to the kitchen, GorillaMan!

Ahhh, now I’ve certainly eaten something that matches that description, and suspect I may even have made it as a young child. But the name itself rings no bells. (And should I be flattered by the choice of a local website for me, or is it just the Wikipedia external link? :wink: )

Please, feel free to be flattered :slight_smile:

There’s also the canned variety

No fruit or juice with breakfast?

And a new useful word - ‘sausage-space’ - is born! :smiley:

(Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster) Jeeves!

(Stephen Fry) Yes, Sir?

I say, the scrambled egg is taking up valuable sausage-space!

I shall attend to it directly, Sir.

In a hotel, there will undoubtedly be juice available, both as a starter and a drink.
(Plus tea or coffee)
If a chap is having cereal, he may well have an apple or a banana too.
But after a full cooked breakfast, one has little room for anything else. :slight_smile:

At home a pot of tea is customary, although these supermarkets do make orange juice easy to come by.

As long as we’re discussing breakfast, what was so desirable about getting the brown egg? Presumably in this context the eggs are not fried, but boiled and presented in their shells. It’s mentioned in a couple of P.G. Wodehouse stories that coming down to breakfast and finding that someone else had already gotten the brown egg was not great.

As long as we’re discussing breakfast, what was so desirable about getting the brown egg? Presumably in this context the eggs are not fried, but boiled and presented in their shells. There are at least a couple of P.G. Wodehouse stories where somebody says something about coming down to breakfast and finding that someone has already gotten the brown egg, as if that’s bad.

And it was so. :slight_smile:

I don’t know, but these days light brown is the default colour, so I guess that we find them more aesthetically pleasing. More natural and wholesome-looking, I suppose. Actually, I haven’t seen a white egg in years. They taste the same, AFAIK.

I believe it is interesting to note that here in the states, or at least within my local experience, there is a similar class consciouness between “dinner” and “supper”. Though they both infer the main large meal of the day, usually eaten between 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock, “dinner” is what the white table cloth professionals eat, while in my middle class blue collar family we would have “supper”. It always felt foreign and uppity to call it dinner when I had to use it in conversation with others when I started in F&B.

Do you actually have tea with your “tea-that-is-dinner”?

I ask because on the show The Royale Family, the mom’s always asking the son-in-law what he had for tea and he’s always having some kind of hearty meal including sausage. It doesn’t strike me as something you’d drink tea with - more like milk or beer.

That the term “lunch” is thought of as rather posh in England is funny to me. My family is redneck and it’s what the noon-time meal is called. We also drink milk in our tea and do a “full English” breakfast (sans beans) . . . I guess we’re still Brits despite our 200 years of living in America.

Doesn’t a full English include blood pudding and some other weird things, too?

I think that’s an individual thing, and there is no hard and fast rule. Personally, no, I would not have a cup of tea while eating my tea. I might have a cuppa with a fry-up breakfast, as noted earlier. Other people might consider it normal to have a cup of tea with an evening meal.

Black pudding is often included, yes. White pudding in some parts, which is like blood pudding without the blood. But that’s about as weird as it gets.

Irish breakfast might include black pudding (not blood pudding), white pudding, bacon, sausages, beans, toast, fried egg, maybe scrambled egg, fried tomato and if you’re talking ulster fry you might also have soda bread, potato farls etc.

Oh, I thought they were the same thing. Am I wrong?

And you guys cook all that with a hangover? Jeez! :eek:

:wink: