Britons; what are you expecting when Charles becomes King?

Longer than that, I imagine. Coins bearing George V and VI were still in circulation up until decimalisation in 1971. And we’ve still got postboxes bearing Queen Victoria’s initials.

As a Canadian, I echo what has been said above: at the time of Charles’ accession, probably nothing will change. Life will go on and Charles will be given the chance to prove his worth. I doubt the change in monarch per se will change public opinion on the monarchy as such. Charles’ subsequent behavior, on which I will not make so bold as to speculate at present, might at some point.

This is a fantasy of mine: I would like the next Sovereign to have a separate Canadian coronation. I realize this is not likely to happen - the Queen is currently head of state of 15 separate countries - but why couldn’t Canada at least try petitioning the next Sovereign to come to Canada and be crowned in a ceremony specifically reflecting Canadian symbolism and values?

I would suggest that a Canadian coronation be entirely secular: no clergy officiating, no prayers or invocations of God. Write a coronation oath for Canada that is “affirmed”, not “sworn”, and does not include the phrase “so help me God”. I would hold it in Parliament rather than in a church. The crown (I would suggest a simple circlet with maple leaf-shaped spikes frugally made of gold electroplated nickel and semi-precious stones from the Canadian Shield) would be placed on his head by several heads of Indigenous communities. How’s that for an authentically Canadian coronation?

I remember my mother and me looking a Canadian penny with George VI on it as recently as circa 1985/6 when I would have been 6. I may have seen coins with him in circulation even more recently - maybe even in the 1990s.

For a modern-day example; Crown Prince Fumihito of Japan, the younger brother of Emperor Naruhito, is currently the heir presumptive, because Naruhito has no male children; he has a daughter, but under current Japanese law women are ineligible to inherit the throne. In the unlikely event that the 61-year-old Emperor and his 58-year-old wife were to have a male son, or in the slightly less unlikely event that the Diet changes the succession law (which was in the works at one time, but was shelved after Fumihito had a son in 2006), then he would fall back in the line of succession.

Later than that. Old florins were still legal tender as 10p pieces till 1993. Old shillings were still used as 5 pence coins until 1990.

Under the legal meaning of “heir,” only a dead person has heirs. A living person doesn’t have an heir, at most someone who might become an heir in the future.

In response to the OP, a side effect of Charles’ ascension would be that terminology in the Channel Islands would become less awkward. They are not part of the UK but rather a direct possession of the Crown, and the Queen is head of state there under the title “Duke of Normandy”. The title is always used in the masculine, even during the tenure of a woman.

The Queen is also Duke of Lancaster.

I think the usage of Duke of Normandy is more awkward because of the fragile relationship between the UK and France, rather than the gender of the Duke in question!

I would suggest a live beaver placed on his head and a bowl of poutine in his upturned hand.

That’s the obvious counter-argument. But logic may well have very little to do with the political expediencies. The ‘memory’ of the 1953 controversies (at least once everyone has been reminded of them) will be too strong for Scottish politicians not to demand something special and specifically Scottish, especially if something is done in Wales for the new Prince of Wales. It almost certainly won’t be an actual Scottish coronation, which itself would have endless tricky problems. But not having some sort of presentation of the Honours would be hugely controversial and whatever is done will be a conscious and overt attempt not to repeat the mistakes of last time.

This Wikipedia artcle mentions an incident when, during a visit to mainland Normandy, the Queen was supposedly cheered as Duchess (which, in terms of gender, contradicts British usage, but so be it) by locals. I can see why; if you’re a strong traditionalist who values the history of your region, you might take a fancy to the idea that there is a lineage that has held, for centuries, a title associated with that region, even if that person happens to be the head of another state.

As for Scotland and the coronation, a highly political issue will certainly be whether the Stone of Scone will be used in the ceremony (and brought from Scotland to London for this purpose).

The legend lives on of the Bagel Dog man . . .

Interesting trivia note. Under British pronunciation, these regions are called “Nundy” and “Looster”.

I wonder how much of that is due to grammatical (rather than semantic) gender in French?

Now is this sperm or blue-tip?

They don’t change the coins just for the sake of changing them, old pattern ones continue to circulate until they are worn out/damaged/lost/withdrawn for precious metal content. You could occasionally find Victorian ones in your change into the 1960s (very worn by then).

When I read the title of this thread, I pictured an army of sign painters fanning out across Great Britain, bravely fording Cornish streams, striding across Cumberland dales, climbing remote Scottish glens, fighting off Welsh sheep, until every Royal Mail postbox in every humble hamlet has been repainted with “CR”. “Neither snow nor rain…”

But I guess in reality, the Royal Mail will just update them as they need to be repaired or replaced.

Doesn’t one of the two versions of the anthem talk about carrying the cross in one hand and the sword in the other, or something like that?

Hockey stick instead of sceptre, no need to mention…

“People have carved their names on it! It’s held in place by a large rock!”

Juste.

And also this:

I suppose “foi” could mean secular hopes, but I’m doubtful…