Brussels Zaventem Airport Rocked by Two Explosions: Several Dead

Fingers crossed for your nephew.

Is there confirmation that this is ISIS? I certainly hope it’s not a new terror organization we haven’t heard of yet.

In this realm it could be any known organization or spin-offs thereof, or it could be “inspired” groups that “pledge” to IS but did not directly originate there.

I’m glad to hear that you and yours are safe. You’re one of my favorite posters.

Given that it was a coordinated attack I’m guessing that this was planned before Abdeslam was picked up. That was only a week ago, I think.

Thanks ;).

All my Belgian rels have checked in. They work in Brussels but don’t live there…close though.

Got confirmation that my nephew is fine, still at school. My sister in law will pick him up soon, when the school day ends.

A terrible tragedy, It brings back memories of the Boston bombing for me.

My sympathies go out to the people and their families harmed by this senseless act.

I’m going to leave work in a few minutes to pick up my daughters at school. I’ll first check whether tram service has resumed and if not I’ll go on foot (about 45 minutes walk - should be ok).

No idea how my wife is going to get back from the city centre where she works, though.

Was anyone hurt inside the Starbucks? I’ve read that one of the explosions was just outside the entrance but read nothing about the people inside.

Indeed, it’s been happening in Turkey on seemingly a regular basis lately. More than forty people were killed by terrorists there just last week.

If you know anyone who is stuck, people are reaching out using Twitter and Facebook to offer rides and a place to stay.

Not to make light of the horror of those who directly experienced these attacks (and I’m very glad all our Belgian Dopers appear to be safe), but this attack has shaken me up over here in Ireland. For several years now, I’ve been travelling through Zaventem 3-4 times a year and am very familiar with that terminal. (For example, one level up on Level 4 you can get a damn fine pan pizza at the Pizza Hut Express.) This is the first time I’ve ever seen a terrorist attack on an area I was intimately famlilar with. It’s a very eerie and chilling feeling to see the TV footage.

I’ve also got a flight booked scheduled to fly out of Zaventem on 5 April, in two weeks’ time.

Having lived in Brussels for two years, it’s like hearing of an attack on one’s home. Very sad.

It’s ISIS. From the OP’s article:

To be fair the OP’s article did not say that when it was posted. The article has been updated several times.

I spent the better part of this morning, along with some colleagues, tracking down all of the hundred employees in our company’s Brussels office. Thankfully all are safe and accounted for.

Les Espaces du Sommeils, I’m very very happy to hear that your family is also safe.

My wife and I spent a wonderful two weeks in Belgium last year, it is one of our favorite countries. My heart goes out to all those affected and to the nation as a whole.

The idiots on social media are already at it with “stop Islam” tweets. The public needs to be educated as to the difference between Islam and Islamism before more innocents are harmed.

My best friend lived in Belgium for a few years, and I visited her a couple of years ago. Damn fine country. So sorry to hear this.

Be safe Belgium dopers.

Seconded. I was there this summer, and traveled all over the Flanders region. It was lovely.

The first thing I thought when I heard about the timing and location of the bombings was how crowded the departure area of the airport would be at that time. It’s not that big a place and the check-ins for the various airlines are all crammed together.