I know there’s another Buffy Season 5 thread here:
But it started drifting into spoiler territory for season 6 and 7 and I had to stop reading. I just saw the end of Season 5 on FX, and watched 1-4 immediately before that. Prior to this I’m a Buffy virgin, so please, no season 6 or 7 spoilers here.
So, I enjoyed the season overall, I loved the addition of Dawn, and how it was handled. Loved the changes in Spike and Anya, as well as Buffy herself. Heck, all the characters grew up quite a bit this year, even Xander. And there were some really great episodes. But in skimming through fan reaction on the web, I’m astonished that I seem to be alone in HATING Glory and her whole storyline. (I also seem to be alone in not seeing anything wrong with the Initiative, Adam, and Riley, but that’s another story.)
Maybe I just don’t understand, so here are some questions:
- Was Glory on earth for centuries or just 25 years? They seem to indicate both in different episodes. Is Ben immortal? Is he just the latest in a long line of human prisons?
- Why is there only one time that the Key can be used? For that matter, why would anyone make such a thing in the first place. Unless they were evil, and if they were, why not use it immediately?
- If Glory didn’t know until late in the season that the Key was in human form, where did this blood ritual come from? What would she have done if the monks made the key into a rock?
- Why did Giles assume that Dawn would have to die for the ritual to stop? It said “when the flow of blood stops.” They haven’t heard of band-aids?
- Why does Buffy’s death stop the ritual? Yeah, they’re sisters and all, sure. But Buffy’s not the Key. Dawn was still bleeding, why didn’t more portals open?
- Giles says to Ben that Buffy is a hero, not like “us”. How did he know Ben joined with Glory? Only Dawn knew that. Giles thought Ben was an innocent bystander, right?
- Since when was Olaf’s Hammer a Troll-GOD hammer? I thought he was just a regular old troll.
All of these apparent inconsistancies on top of the excruciatingly bad acting by Glory herself made me cringe every time she came on the screen. On top of that, every appearance was the same: “Oh, I’m so pretty and shallow, damn you stupid minions, where’s the key? And now, I’ll suck out a brain.” See you next week! When Spike and Dru were the big bads, they had a different scheme every week. Ditto for the Mayor. And the Initiative at least evolved from capturing monsters, to building Adam, to hunting Adam. Glory was so one-note in comparison. I don’t get it.