Buick?

Buick WAS once something of a luxury brand, but that was many decades ago. GM talks as if it still is, but obviously it hasn’t been for a looong time.

It seems (just according to a wiki article) that in the late 30s, people at Cadillac were not happy because Buick’s top-of-the-line was about as good as a Cadillac in every way, but at a quarter of the price. But that kind of Buick went away after the war.

If Cadillacs are for CEOs then Buicks are for mid-managers and Oldsmobiles were for lower managers.

We had a Buick in the 1980s, when there was effectively zero difference between a Buick and the parallel Oldsmobile model. It was a mediocre car and the last American brand anyone in our family bought.

At one point General Motors brand hierarchy went—

Cadillac
LaSalle
Buick
Marquette
Viking
Oldsmobile
Oakland
Pontiac
Chevrolet

Yeah, so not long ago that you really can’t credit him much with how Kias look like right now. That would be Peter Schreyer, he is from Audi, and has done a freakin fantastic job. The cars for the most part look great, inside and out, and much cheaper than more expensive counterparts. I don’t think they are even remotely similar enough to beemers where they could ever hope to win a lawsuit. No, the signature Kia “Tiger Nose” is not close enough, and imo, BMW’s front end has changed more over the recent years than Kias, so if anything it could be argued that they ripped Kia off.

Well, there was the Grand National.

I don’t know what era this was in but in the late 70’s to late 80’s G-Body era it was:

Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal and Olds Cutlass.

Intriguing links, thanks.

I’ve not driven a 6 (or any Kia). I’ll probably buy a 6 in 12-14 years – my pattern is having one newish Bimmer for grown-up driving, and two old ones to play around in; I have an autocross on Sunday, gotta mess around with getting the 330ci ready, her fuel injectors are unhappy.

My BFF’s kid just bought a Kia Soul, it’s a really cute car.

:smack: That’s who I meant, but the BMW article popped up for me and I figured I was misremembering. Stupid brain.

Thank you for your concern.

I haven’t managed to find an actual commercial online, but here’s a still photo of the Buick guy and three of his dogs.