BumpTop: Your real desktop goes digital

Check this out:

http://honeybrown.ca/Pubs/BumpTop.html

The real-world desktop paradigm goes digital, with 3D and physics modelling to boot.

My geeky cup runneth over.

That’s just beautiful.

I admire the programming which went into that - but I don’t get what its usefulness would be. Is is supposed be a representation of files which is closer to the way most people actually arrange their documents at their workspace?

Essentially, yes. On a practical level it’s probably not very effective, but hey – playing bowling with your icons? That’s worth at least a 30-day trial. :slight_smile:

That is so cool. I’m especially fond of the icon resizing and pin to the wall capabilities.

My boss really needs that program. He doesn’t use any folders on his computer; everything is saved to the desktop. Whenever he needs a file, he searches for what he thinks it’s called. At least with BumpTop, he could organize it like is real desk…everything in piles. :smiley:

I think that’s probably where its real market lies – with those who are so organizationally challenged and at the same time lacking in computer savvy that something like this would offer a more comprehensible parallel between the crapstorm on their real desk and the one on their computer. :slight_smile: I think it would be fun to play with, but at the end of the day as a total replacement for the traditional desktop I think I’d seriously be wanting for maybe a more sensible compromise between BumpTop and the desktop I’m already used to.

Of course, BumpTop is still in the proof-of-concept stage, so it could go in any direction at this point.

O.K., I can see that … this might be a better way to represent computer files for folks who “don’t know where the computer put it …”. Makes sense now.