Burger King's 1 cent Whopper promotion.

Before we know it, that creepy king will be standing outside your window with a severed clown head.

[spoiler]Okay. A Blowjob and a burger.

You can use the burger to get the taste out of your mouth. Or the other way around. Whatever floats your boat.[/spoiler]

I thought I’d give this a try so I downloaded the app this morning. The nearest Burger King isn’t far away, but we have so many other options a quarter of the distance I rarely bother going to that area. I thought this would be worth it since there is a McDonald’s and BK just a few businesses apart.

So, I pulled into the McDonald’s parking lot and clicked on the button to unlock the promotion. It spun for a minute then said I had to go to McDonald’s to activate it (within 600 feet). I was in their freaking parking lot, maybe 30 feet from the door. I pulled to a closer spot and tried again. Same message. Pissed, I went to White Castle right next door to the Burger King (no way I was going there).

Got home and ate my sliders and decided I should let BK know I wasn’t happy so I clicked on the Chat Live Now button. A few minutes later I got a message saying they were busier than anticipated but they would have someone to chat with me as soon as possible. Then several minutes later an apology that it was taking so long… several minutes the same apology… repeat six more times. Now I was beyond pissed. I gave up and sent them an email. It is a good thing they limit you to 1,000 characters because I had a lot more to say to them. That was a few hours ago and no response yet. Frankly I’m not really counting on them replying or doing anything about it. Maybe I’ll have to go on Facebook and throw in a few #BurgerKingSucks type of things to get their attention.

I will have one less app on my phone soon.

Wow, that is disappointing.

Sounds like the App had trouble getting an accurate location from the phone.

I’ve had trouble with my location. Sometimes it shows me a mile off on Google maps.

Isn’t it like $3 for a whopper? Why jump through all of those hoops like a fucking monkey for $3? That’s significantly less than minimum wage.

I assumed it was to get people to enter their credit card info. Not so much for them to do something nefarious with it, but moreso, because then the next time you’re hungry, it’s all ready to go. Order it online and it’s ready when you get there, you don’t even have to slow down to pay.

Taco Bell did something similar a while back. I uninstalled the app when it asked for my credit card number. I wasn’t that concerned about getting a cheap taco even cheaper.

Another thing is that if people have the app installed and let it send notifications, it can show promotions to the user at a later date.

But, if you buy it for one cent, then how will you resell it before you die and go to Hell?

A Whopper is about $4.50 MSRP but the thing being it’s one of those food items that is constantly on sale for Buy One Get One Free or 2 for $5 deals so nobody pays full price for it.

I am still failing to understand the McDonald’s aspect. How is this a burn on McDonald’s at all? I mean they would get the same metadata and people looking for a cheap burger by just getting people to download the ap and use it for the promotion. And there would be way less hassle.

The McDonald’s aspect is what lets them justify the app harvesting location information. The burn on McDonald’s doesn’t make sense, and it doesn’t need to: It just has to seem like it makes sense, to that not-insignificant portion of the population who won’t actually stop to think about it.

Ok, I’m with you on the burn part. But can’t they get the same data by knowing at which BK they got the one cent whopper?

I’m obviously spending way too much time thinking about this but I did some searching and the web is full of stories of people going to McDonald’s parking lots, having the ap not work and saying, “fuck it. I’ll just get a Big Mac.”

LOL

This may backfire on BK if the App isn’t working correctly.

The “go to” may be where is the nearest McDonald’s. I think it is just a simple concept of getting you to think that there are other options nearby that may be better.

BTW… it has been over 24 hours and no response from BK. You would think they would at least have an automated response something like “We apologize for the delay. We are experiencing a much higher than expected level of complaints of our app not working as promised.”

They can obviously tell where you are right at the moment when you pick up the sandwich. And that information isn’t completely valueless. But the app could potentially tell them where you are at every moment, which is worth a lot more.

Just went on to try again and they aren’t even offering the chat option anymore.

You have to be within 600 feet of a McDonald’s to activate the code and you can only ever do it once. You have one hour to redeem the coupon before it expires so you can’t do it when you happen to be near a McDonald’s and then get your Whopper later when it’s convenient. According to an article I read, they spent a year putting this together and had to geofence 14,000 McDonald’s. And then it turns out that a significant number of BKs aren’t participating in the promotion which is enraging people who go through all of the trouble only to find out that the BK near them isn’t playing.

This is a colossal cluster fuck. I read an interview with a BK maketing person who was all, “tee hee, oops we forgot to tell McDonald’s that we were doing this. I hope they’re not too mad.” The retard responsible for this and anyone who green lighted this should be fired.

I don’t disagree with you. I was just trying to explain what they may have been trying to do.

I drove out of my way… didn’t get the deal I expected even though I was at a McDonald’s three businesses away from a BK. I then waited for a long time to “chat” with someone about my problem and was unsuccessful, then emailed them and haven’t heard back more than 24 hours later. It also probably tells you something that they have taken down the chat option.

So, I’ve gone from a person who likes Whoppers and may occasionally go out of my way to get one, to someone who thought this is a cool promo and will definitely go out of my way to get one and maybe do so more often, to someone who will likely never go there again.