"But i wonder will the sun still see all the people going by?" (RIP Paul Kantner)"

Paul Kantner of the Jefferson Airplane died apparently. He experienced multiple organ failure after a heart attack earlier this week.

It’s a BAD month for classic rock & roll.

What the holy fuck, I just saw that. Jesus.

Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

God fucking damn it.

Just a few months ago I decided that “Mexico” (1970) was the greatest rock and roll single ever recorded. And Paul looks and sounds so great in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p41rCBCk7Ss

Jesus Christ!

You helped make an absolutely flawless album.

RIP, Mr. Kantner. :frowning:

Jeez, what is going on?

I sat at a table next to him at a corner Italian place in North Beach. Wow.

Amen…not a bad song at all on that sucker. One of my first psychedelic CDs, and still one of my favorites of the genre and 60’s rock to this day.

All of the celeb, and especially musician deaths this month have been absolutely insane. I can’t ever recall a past swath of deaths as crazy as this recent one. :frowning:

Have to share this, my Jefferson Starship era favorite (and IMO, their most hard rocking ever tune), in Kantner’s memory…may thee RIP. :frowning:

This is very upsetting.

The first nominee for “Understatement of the Year.”

Too many good musical people dying recently. :frowning:

Man, I cared 100 times more about Jefferson Airplane than I ever did about Bowie. Not just one of my favorite groups, one of the important groups of the antiwar era.

Surrealistic Pillow is a great album, but so is Volunteers. This is how long ago that was: *Volunteers *was the free gift for my first subscription to Rolling Stone; both together cost $5.00.

I got to see them in concert around that time. They were playing downtown at the arena, while the Grateful Dead were playing on campus. Me and my friends decided to see the Airplane. When we got back the Dead concert was still going on and I managed to grab an untorn ticket. A few minutes later, Kantner and others from the Airplane joined them on stage. A long, fine evening.

From the liner notes of 1966’s Jefferson Airplane Takes Off,

I saw Airplane at a venue in San Francisco back in 72. I’m sure I could look it up, but the haze makes the memory more real. :smiley:

Paul himself was often fond of saying “If you remember the sixties, you weren’t there.*”

Perhaps this will jog your memory a bit: the 1975 JS performing one of his best IMO compositions Have You Seen the Saucers? live at Winterland.

That’s a great loss. He was integral to Jefferson, and they were such a seminal group.
I saw him once, in 2008, when Jefferson Starship toured the UK with Quicksilver supporting them!
Good gig, and I’m really pleased I finally saw them.
I wrote about it briefly here.

They played here again a couple of years ago but illness prevented us make it along. Really wish we had.

“…One generation got old. One generation got soul.
This generation got no destination to hold
Pick up the cry…”

Damn

RIP to an under-appreciated artist who was directly involved in some of Rock And Roll’s most awesome moments.
(Sweet thread title, too.)

Get used to it. The '60s rockers (and some of the '70s rockers) are getting to that age. There will be more. A LOT more.

Seconded. I read the thread title, said “FUCK!” very loudly, then punched up that song and let it roar.

Indeed…Baxter’s is my favorite Airplane album by far.