But, Mr. Adams...: The 1776 Appreciation Thread

I always get choked up when they’re having the signing, and bells are ringing, the names are being called out. I’m glad they have the original restored again.

Well, no wonder I didn’t find it. That thread’s 4 years old.

Hence the reference to it as a “years old thread” where it’s linked to above.

When I enter “site:straightdope.com 1776 musical” into Google it’s the first hit. This thread is fourth.

I wouldn’t say it ENTIRELY works. Good god when Martha shows up I either consider hanging myself or go make dinner. Blah blah plays the violin will you please go and historically die?

But I love the rest of it, especially “Look Sharp” and when Rutledge makes off with the whole show for “Molasses to Rum to Slaves”.

This is one of those movies I always seem to find on TV after it’s halfway over. I’ve seen the end a few times, but never the beginning.

I looked up the IMDb trivia for it last night. You could almost consider it Gwyneth Paltrow’s first movie; mom was five months pregnant with her during filming. I even recognized the actor who was tearing off the pages of the calendar; he was the shoeshine guy in Police Squad. And is it just me, or was Dickinson a dead ringer for Phil Hartman?

No, we kept calling him Phil.

“Look Sharp” is my least favorite song. I understand its dramatic purpose - there’s a war going on out there, young men are dying, freedom ain’t free - but I just don’t like it.

Great film, just great.

Yes, the ending makes me a little choked up.

Even though it’s pointed out that there probably was no mass signing as depicted in the film, July 4 had a special significance, so there was likely some basis for the ending to be depicted that way. And I do get choked up at it, these were folks with a lot to lose.

Does anyone know if that New York delegate, who kept abstaining due to lack of instructions from his state, actually go ahead and say “I’ll sign the damn thing!” after learning of the lose of his estates?

As he lay dying Jefferson is reported to have kept asking if it was July 4th yet. It would seem, since he died on the 4th, that he was hanging on waiting for it, and let hijmself go when it was reached. Adams wrote how the day should be celebrated as a special holiday, with speeches, games, and such. Then Adams died on the same day as Jefferson, a coincidence no novelist or screenwriter, would have dared to come up with.

I was searching for “when did you first notice they were missing” site:straightdope.com. Ah, well. Also not paying attention to the years old bit, apparently. :smack:

Actually, he wrote that it should be July 2, which was the day the Congress approved the resolution of independence. The Declaration was not approved by Congress until two days later, and that became the holiday.:

One of my favorite trivia facts: Ray Middleton, who played the very Scottish Col. Thomas McKean, was also the first actor ever to play Superman in costume. (I specify “in costume” because Bud Collyer began playing the Man of Steel on radio five months earlier.) So in addition to supporting life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, he stood for truth, justice, and the American way.

Oh, it gets even better. Adams’ last words were, reportedly, “Thomas Jefferson still survives.”

Jefferson had died only hours before.

Even better: some mistakenly believe that Adams meant those words in anger, as the two men had not had a warm relationship during Adams’ Presidency. Despite that, they had exchanged letters for years afterwards. There’s no doubt that Adams was speaking positively, that at least one friend among the signers was still alive.

Except, of course, he wasn’t.

Cool- did not know that.

The DVD extras include his audition reel; McKean fires a musket in one scene but apparently they didn’t have one at the audition venue, so he read from that scene and at the end pulls a snub nose pistol out of his pocket.

Close.

I knew that Middleton played the first Superman in costume, but hadn’t associated that Middleton with Col. McKean. Interesting.

I love this movie! We watched it on the Fourth. John Cullum owns “Molasses to Rum”. It is apparently unavailable to purchase except on vinyl, but you can listen to the song on this site: 1776 - Life On The 3rd-Rock