Buy new, buy used, don't buy at all

The first two articles are by somebody named Liz Pulliam Weston. She lists exceptions for some of them. For example, it might be OK to buy a used mattress if it mostly sat unused in a guest room. See the articles for exceptions.

Buy new:
Laptops
Car seats
Plasma and high-definition TVs
DVD players
Vacuum cleaners
Digital cameras and video cameras
Shoes
Mattresses
Wet suits
Helmets

Buy used:
Books
DVDs and CDs
Little kids’ toys
Jewelry
Sports equipment
Timeshares
Vehicles
Software and console games
Office furniture
Hand tools

The next two articles are off a site called The Street. No exceptions were given, although I can think of some. I mean, there’s boats and there’s boats. I could probably justify buying a canoe.

5 expensive things not to buy:
Timeshares
Boats
Recreational vehicles
Snowmobiles, jet skis and all-terrain vehicles
Vacation homes

5 everyday things you don’t need:
Bottled beverages
Extra food
Diet products
Vitamins
Expensive cosmetics and toiletries

I can think of other things, especially for the “don’t buy” list. Anything on the lists that you disagree with?

My boat, although expensive, is used often and well and enjoyed immensely by my family. If you’re not going to use a boat often, sure, “don’t buy.”

I’m not buying used jewelry for my wife, sorry. If I can’t afford new, I’m okay not getting it.

Most of the “buy used” stuff would be fine if you have the time to find used stuff. I’m not that interested in spending the time, however, “getting to know the guy that runs the pawn shop.”

I disagree about the vitamins. “Everyday things you don’t need?” Doctors and other “experts” like to haughtily declare how you don’t need vitamin supplements and then quickly mumble under their breath, “as long as you eat a healthy balanced diet.”

Ha, ha! Who does that? I suppose people who live where it’s 30 below right now are getting all the vitamin D they need from all that sunbathing they do, too. :dubious:

No, they’re getting it from all the vitamin D fortified milk and other foods.

And of course pregnant women are specifically told by doctors to take prenatal vitamins regardless of their diet.

I bought one new vacuum cleaner decades ago, but ever since then, I just upgrade when it’s time with a yard sale one. Usually people just get suckered into buying a Dyson whether they need it or not and junk the old perfectly good one. Or the belt broke and they didn’t feel like buying a new one.

Buy New: chewing gum, food

Buy Used: underwear

Don’t Buy: her story

If you are going to buy a boat there are currently some insane deals on used boats out there right now if you want a boat. “Don’t buy a boat” period is kind of silly advice. There is no better time to buy a used boat than right now.

Current studies show that most people are Vitamin D deficient. They are even considering raising the recommended levels, as it seems a higher level confers greater health benefits.

Wouldn’t bottled beverages depend on where you live? Or would water filters work in most areas?

I would add coffee from convenience stores or coffee shops to the “don’t buy” list. If you buy one large coffee a day, it only costs 1.50 to 2.00, but add that up over the course of a year and you realize that it’s cheaper to brew your own at home and take it with you.

Oh, also store-bought lunches. I’ve saved a fair bit of money by getting up a bit earlier and making my own lunch. Especially when you consider that I would buy more than I needed before, as I was shopping while hungry.

Plus the linked article pretty much just says “rather than buying craploads of supplements, get only the ones you need if you can’t get them from food.”

I categorize books. There are some authors that I will in new hardback, more that I buy in new paperback. Most authors, though, I’ll usually buy only used. I see it as voting with my dollars. Some authors give me so much reading enjoyment that I want to encourage them to write more, and I want to send a message to their publishers.

I disagree with the CDs and books. Unless you assume that authors and artists are doing it for the sheer love of art and don’t mind starving in filthy garrets.

Buying used cars seems to depend on the car. The old rule of thumb was that a car lost several thousand dollars in value just being driven off the lot. But I’ve been looking at used Subaru Outbacks and they hold their value. Three year old cars are going for $20K. Might as well buy a new one (except the new ones are ugly as naked mole rats).

Vitamins. Yeah, that’s a money saver. A bottle of Centrum costs $14.00 and lasts a year (OK, I forget to take them regularly.) Same thing with hand tools. Geez, I can get pretty much any tool I want for $10-20 at Home Depot – maybe stretch and buy a nice block plane for $50.00, and they will last for pretty much the rest of my life. An assortment of every kind of screwdriver you’ll ever need costs $15.00. Why should I haunt garages sales looking for someone else’s abused crap?

Boats. Hard to argue with that. Suckers are expensive and time consuming, even if you just own a small one. But that’s what a hobby is, isn’t it? Something to spend your time and money on?

Don’t buy at all? I’d say “swimming pool”, at least in the Northeast. You get to use it for three months of the year and it’s a nightmare to maintain.

Pets and supplies: Buy used (or “buy” used, if you will.) Our next dog is on his way - the rescue lady will bring him to us in about 2 weeks. Sure, a Great Pyrenees is a big luxury, but he’s already bred and born, and was being neglected in his previous home, due to a change in family circumstances (“mom” adopted him, divorced a couple of years later, couldn’t afford housing that would allow him. “Dad” is either working too much or too apathetic to spend time with him. He’s gonna come live with us and get spoiled rotten, because our big old “puppy” - 8-yr.-old German shepherd - is retiring and needs a pet of his own to keep him entertained. I’ve always wanted a Pyrenees, but never felt comfortable bringing a brand new one into my home, because I live in a very warm climate. But if this one is already living in Florida, I know I can provide a better home than he has.

Craigslist and Freecycle have already provided me with free/low cost supplies: crates, dog beds, etc. Obviously, his vet care and food and preventative medicine will be at retail, but why pay full cost for stuff that people have available free or at massively reduced price?

And I definitely agree with the advice to buy vehicles used: Most modern vehicles have a much longer “shelf life” than their older counterparts. My minivan is now pushing 300,000 miles, and has very minor mechanical problems only (needs shocks, and a $28 fuel sensor. I paid $2500 for it 2 years ago, got all maintenance records with it, and have driven lots and lots of miles with sports teams, slumber parties, puppy dogs, washing machines, groceries, and so forth.) And to never buy a timeshare. (Still trying to sort out all of the legal crap with trying to unload Mom’s timeshare…)

Going to disagree with vacation homes.

If you live in a tiny apartment in a city, hellyeah it’s nice to get away into the country and garden on the weekends. Even if it’s only on a couple of acres with a little shed for housing.

See: Dacha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacha

You don’t need extra food? Like, a stocked pantry? Or some other form of extra food? Because there is a whole lot more food in the house than I can eat in a week, but I can make just about any type of meal I want any time. That one just seems strange to me.

My ideal situation is to buy something used and also broken. I love to repair things and can often do so very cheaply. I have a $30 treadmill from a garage sale that originally cost $1750. It was an easy fix to the drive wheel. One of my best cars was a Chevy with what seemed like a bad transmission that was easily repaired. They key is looking for something that has potential and diagnosing the problems to avoid losers. If nothing else is available, I’m willing to shop the best deal on something new.

Why do they recommend only new wetsuits? That one has me stumped.

Divers: Am I missing some reason that you would need to stick to new suits only?

We use wetsuits around here for handling the chill during spring waterskiing instead of for diving.