C.A.W.

At some point a church was founded, apparently based on the ideals put forth in the Robert Heinlein book “Stanger in a Strange Land”. This church was called the Church of All Worlds.

I’m not sure when, but now the C.A.W. is a neo-pagan bunch.

What I’m looking for is any information about the beginning of the church, and how it became something that I personally feel RAH would have not appreciated.

Anyone?

A site for the history of CAW: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos572.htm

Doesn’t look like Heinlein’s vision was all that far from today’s reality, though …

And I thought this was going to be about a club for Corvus, brachy, et al.

Well, here are what appear to be the original Articles of Incorporation from 1968. To judge from Item 1, their purpose was compatible with a large majority of Neopagan belief systems. They reincorporated in California in 1978 under substantially similar Articles. The FAQ may shed a little light as well.

I personally find it unlikely that Heinlein would have disapproved of Neopagan involvement in the organization, as long as they worked toward its stated goals. Neopagans have few umbrella organizations (Covenant of the Goddess is the only strictly Neopagan one that springs to mind, and I’m not sure how restricted membership in CoG is among Neopagans); it’s only natural that we would turn toward open groups like CAW and the UU for organization.

As for whether the Old Man would have approved of these particular Neopagans…I don’t know. Their hearts seem to be in the right place, but I don’t know enough about them to be sure that their heads are, too…

Well, I’ll be hornswaggled. Ice Wolf beat me to it. I found a different site, but with the same text.
But yeah, it looks like the founders were inspired by the book, and it was a “Neo-Pagan/Earth Religion” from pretty close to the beginning.

Heh.

I was thinking the same thing…

But alas, of this subject I know terrifyingly little.

Such is life :slight_smile:

and I thought this post was about me!!!
Craig A. Watkins