C25k (Couch-to-5K) starting week of 9/21--who's in?

This makes zero sense. How does asphalt “give” any more then concrete? My wife is a runner as well and can’t answer this question. I’m not much of a runner and I’ve never felt any difference, even running in bare feet. I’d really like someone to answer this, or is this just one of those myths that people like to say?

Min! Starting tonight.

This time last year I was in great shape. I was lifting weights or doing cardio 4X a week. I stayed motivated since I wanted to look good in my Tux - which I did, I’m not afraid to say.

But, then I got married and the movtivation waned. I tried to keep working out, but I haven’t done any regular exercise in almost a year. So, between that I quitting smoking (which I also did right after the wedding), I’ve put on close to 30lbs.

So, starting tonight I’ll be running. I may add a day or two of lifting as well - but the running will be per the schedule.

Concrete is a stiffer material than asphalt: it is less elastic and so when you pound away on it, it won’t deform as easily as if you were pounding away on asphalt. Of course, you can’t see the deformation in the road/trail when you run on it, but rest assured that whenever you push against a material (any material!), it will deform to some extent. Rubber deforms quite a bit, while concrete does not.

I’m not sure if these are the best measures I could be citing, but as an example, Young’s modulus (modulus of elasticity) for concrete according to this page is 30x10^9 MPa, while this page seems to indicate that various asphalt mixtures are in the 20-25 x10^9 MPa range. The higher the value, the less “give” the material has. For the sake of comparison, the first page gives rubber in the range of 0.01 - 0.1 x10^9 MPa.
ETA: I have no idea how noticeable the feel is when running on concrete vs asphalt, but in theory, there could be an observable difference!

I think I’ll give this a try. Hopefully the weather will cool down enough by then.

Talk about timing! I just started running again 2 weeks ago. I took a running class a few years ago and trained for a 10k. I stopped due to a number of reasons (I was found to be profoundly anemic and I got a bone spur among them).

But now I’m willing to try again. I learned a slightly different method (run for a minute, walk for a minute and build up the running time–no worries about distance) with a stretching session after. This works great for me, but I’m happy to chime in and support others here. I am up to 3:1s (run for 3 min, walk for one) now. I do now need to increase the length of my running (or my distance or both), so that’s what I’m going to do today. I usually run a 1.4 mile course around my neighborhood.

Good luck everyone!

I was also taught in my running course that asphalt is easier on the knees than running. Having tried both, I have to agree. Concrete is studded with rebar to stiffen it and make it stronger. Asphalt is not. It is a softer surface (heck, sometimes it even softens noticeably on hot summer days). The best surface to run on is a track designed for running, but not many people have those near at hand.
A well fitting shoe is also very important. A decent store will allow you to “try out” the shoe–that is, run in them a short distance (on a clean surface. The store I use has us run up and down the sidewalk outside the store. They also take returns on shoes within 2 weeks of purchase. They don’t really cost all that much more and the service is well worth it). For Chicago Dopers, it’s this one:

runningforkicks

For you city folk, it’s a bit of a drive (heck it is for me as well), but well worth it. Very knowledgeable sales staff, quality products and the focus is all on running.

I’ll do it. I might have a heart attack, but I’ll do it. 9/21 is a great time to start, the day after my 35th birthday. I’ll have to use a treadmill at first, cause I’m not subjecting the public to my body in running clothes.

I’ve never successfully managed to run for any sort of extended periods, but I’ve looked at this plan and am willing to give it a go.

Anyone have any treadmill running advice? I plan to try this after work, M-W-F.

The only reason I like concrete is that it’s level. And since I run in Boston, that’s no small feat. I do prefer asphalt where I can get it if it’s reasonably level, though.

My five miles this morning was miserable due to heat. It was 80F with 85% humidity and I could not shed the heat. Bleh.

I’m on Week 5 of the program right now… got slowed down due to a knee injury. In the first four weeks, though, my resting heart rate went from 80 to 68. Just with TWELVE runs! Wow! The program is awesome and I’m totally loving it. It’s got me running more than I ever could in my whole life, before.

I have found that using podcasts really helps me with the workout. There is no timing yourself, no setting a stopwatch, no watching the clock–you just run when you’re told to run and stop when you’re told to stop. Robert Ullrey’s podcasts, which I have been using, have sort-of-okay music and occasional pep talks, too. And you know you’re doing the program the right way–no questions about whether the warmup counts toward your 20 minutes, etc.

Godspeed & good luck! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been.

I’m starting week 3 of the program tonight (I try to run M-W-F). I use a treadmill - I find it helps keep my honest as far as maintaining a steady pace. Tonight’s run should be interesting though - running for 3 minutes straight is a little intimidating.

Meyer6, I’m quite overweight, and out of shape. I can’t give an informed opinion about concrete vs asphalt, but just wanted to say “Give it another try”. Maybe slow your running pace down a bit. In the link jsgoddess provided, it says how fast you go isn’t that important. Personally, I walk at around 2.8 to 3 mph, and run at 4.3 mph. I have no idea how “fast” this is but it gives me a challenging but not impossible workout.

rues, I don’t really have any treadmill “advice” per-se, other than I like it because I can easily see how long and how far I’ve run, and I can be more consistent with my speeds. I’m sure if I was running on the sidewalk or a trail I’d start to “cheat” about halfway through.

OK, I’m in.

My husband and I have done the Couch to 10K program in the past. We ran a 10K in May and another a couple of years ago.

I’ll probably end up doing this one since the timing is right and it looks like a good cause. And a pretty setting.

Ok, one question on the workout instructions. It says things like: Jog 1/4 mile (or three minutes).

Should I read this as: Jog 1/4 mile or at least three minutes?

I’m not sure these days, but the last time I ran at all I’d normally get a lot farther than 1/4 mile in three minutes, so if I get to 1/4 mile should I stop or just keep going?

I don’t know about that specific program, but IIWY, I’d go for the time. Depending on your pace, you could run farther than 1/4 mile, as you say. Better to go for time.

I ran 1.6 miles today–I did 3:1s and one 5:1, which surprised even me. I also drove out another route to run.

Can I still post here even if I’m not doing the program? If not, that’s ok. I don’t want to mess anyone up or be a distraction.

Great to see so many participants!

Meyer6, I recommend a product called SuperFeet. They are supportive insoles that you cut to fit your shoes, and they have eliminated the knee pain I used to get. You can order them online, but I second the recommendation to visit a specialty running store with a good staff. Many have treadmills in the store–they will watch you run and recommend a shoe. Runner’s World magazine has a state-by-state directory of running stores in its back pages, and I bet they have the same info online.

Si, I am using a program that was published in Runner’s World in March of 2006. (I cut it out and then got pregnant!) It begins with a six-mile long run and some track and tempo work on the other two days, so if you are already training for a 10K you should be fine to start it after you recover from your race. Hopefully you can get the complete plan through the RW website.

Rues and evilhomer, treadmill running is great for measuring distance and pace-setting. It’s also a good springy surface to run on. But it is a bit easier than running entirely under your own power, so you’ll often see the recommendation that you set the incline at 1 or 2% if you want to mimic the effort required if you switch to outdoor running.

Shib, your interpretation of the directions is correct–1/4 mile or 3 minutes.

I don’t mean to be a know-it-all, but it’s exciting to see people starting running programs! This is why I wanted to get my certification!

I just realized I have a slightly better (maybe) answer to your particular question. I would say that if your goal is just to finish the 5K distance, then you should run for three minutes on the theory that the more you do towards building up your length of time running (as opposed to walking), the better.

But if you’re pretty confident that you’ll be able to finish and want to improve your time (maybe you’ve run a race in the past and want to equal or better your performance?) then you could run just the 1/4 mile but try to push your pace a little bit. This will train your body to run faster, but you’ll still be on track to complete the 5K according to the program.

Does this make sense?

Lily

Thanks, I’ll take a look. I purchased the latest RW (UK) magazine and it has some good programs for building speed and stamina, so it is a great resource. I’m not going to get pregnant though - I’ve had a vasectomy. :wink: and my training routine does not include any sex anyhow

My wife and daughter did give me heaps about getting the magazine, though. :smack:

Si

Okay, thanks all for the words of encouragement everyone. I especially like the sound of those podcasts to help me stay on track. I have moved closer to a large city park since I last tried this, so I’m going to start out in the park and see how it goes. I really want this to work this time - I’d love to be able to run!

So, I’m in. Are we going to have a support thread or anything? It would be fun to discuss our progress!

Hmmm … I’d read that treadmill running can affect your stride, but not that it was easier. Can you explain how that works? I don’t doubt you at all, but I would like to understand it better.

~rues

This, RIGHT HERE, is exactly what I need. I can’t imagine running and checking my watch every few seconds or so.

Really? It’s not like you’re sinking into tar or running on a trampoline but I feel a definite difference in my knees when I run on asphalt as opposed to concrete. I don’t have any cites like mnemosyne, but when I first remarked on the difference, that’s what I was told. Perhaps it’s all psychosomatic.