Cafe Society Confessions: What's yours?

Do you need to know again or are you going again?

Its pretty forgetable. There were maybe 8 good moments over years of episodes, yet I remember practically being brow-beaten by co-workers that I had to watch it because it was ‘the new Shakespeare’.

:dubious:

Not quite.

Tom Hanks is a good actor, but a question mark for me. Everyone likes his ‘meh’ movies but there’s no real love for his one great one (IMHO).
I’ve going to factor out “You’ve Got Mail”, “Sleepless in Seattle”, and “The Money Pit” because they were basically remakes of the Truly Great Movies (The Shop Around the Corner, An Affair to Remember, and Mr Blandings Dream House).
Joe vs The Volcano… he was goofy and cool… mostly a good movie.
Forrest Gump… not so much.
Apollo 13… interesting but Very dry; it was like watching Watergate Hearings endlessly in the summer of '73.
Saving Private Ryan… very good but not his best (all-star cast).

IMHO, he only had One truly great movie… and it was almost ignored and right now its pretty much forgotten:

Road to Perdition (2002)
(it won Best Cinematography, but that was it.)

Yup, me too. For the life of me I do not understand Larry David’s/Jerry Seinfeld’s comedic appeal. I hated every single character on that show - despicable people.

I also hated The Big Bang Theory for years but my wife loves it and would watch it regularly. I used to just leave the family room and go find something else to do when she had it on. Then one day I didn’t leave and now… I think the show is hysterical.

I completely agree with you on this.

As to “not throwing shade on icons”, I think it’s more or less unavoidable in threads like this. There’s a fine line between legitimately expressing your opinions and unwillingly offending fans. Deliberately starting a flame war is a dick move but one shouldn’t have to feel ashamed to express reservations about any artists, including iconic ones, either.

Yeah, that’s true. I just want to clarify my own blind spots on the way to asserting that Jim Morrison is a fool who’s signal got lost in all of his bad boy noise.

But, for instance, I hate how my feelings about Goodfellas has kept The Sopranos at arm’s length for me. I have seen a few episodes and get the feel of the show, but I didnt invest in it, which given its basic Golden Age of TV importance, feels silly.

That’s actually wise, and I wasn’t as prudent when I posted my own confession.

Over the years, I’ve come to think that:

1 - We are all perfectly entitled to like whatever artist we want but we are also free to dislike whatever artist we want, as long as we stay polite.
2 - We all have blind spots and dislikes. It’s inevitable. At one point, you just accept that you don’t like this or that, no matter how many people tell how great it is. It’s sad in a way, but pretending to like stuff you don’t really enjoy because millions of people say it’s great is much sadder. There’s so much stuff to discover - you have to make choices and prioritize things that you consider as valuable, genuine, powerful, moving…

Yes, agreed all around. But some art is worth overcoming your blind spots to at least experience a bit. My Sopranos example fits. I also couldn’t appreciate Neil Young’s vocals until I was in my 40’s and I wish I had pushed myself sooner.

I may have posted this elsewhere somewhere sometime before but I think Iggy Pop’s Repo Man is the greatest rock song of all time. It has everything you need in a rock song: nice driving drums, awesome bass work, really good guitar, and lyrics that include drugs and love yet nothing really quite makes sense.

Iggy Pop basically put it all together while they were in studio and was backed up by Clem Burke on drums, Nigel Harrison on bass, and Steve Jones on guitar.

I’ve seen Vertical Limit more than once

…and I’ll probably watch it again, someday.

I watched the very first Dr. Who (from way back in the olden days) and the one from the 70’s where The Doctor turned into the version played by the guy with the floppy hat and long striped scarf (too lazy to Google) but I just couldn’t get into it. Never bothered to try again.

My favourite band is Duran Duran, but I can’t be arsed with anything they did after they broke up and became Arcadia and Power Station. Thank God they reunited for a 25th anniversary tour in 2003 and I got to see all 5 original members together.

Sometimes I eat pizza with a fork & knife.

I like my popcorn with curry powder. I like my hotdogs with peanut butter and sriracha.

When my family is out of town and I’m bacheloring it, I will sometimes have meals like:

1st course - bowl of mint chip ice cream
2nd course - two handfuls of dry roasted peanuts
3rd course - McDonalds French fries
4th course - Burger King Whopper
5th course - bowl of corn Chex
6th course - quart of Budweiser
7th course - chocolate brownie

If you see through what an arrogant asshole WW is and don’t fall for the gift-wrap, it’s pretty unwatchable.

I love people who hate on Skyler and her endless bitching, whining and histrionics… but never once is she wrong.

I have no deeper interest in music than whatever’s playing on the radio. If I don’t like a song I change the channel or put in a CD but I don’t care enough to seek out new music.

La La Land is pleasant but I don’t really get the big deal over it.

I am rarely interested in seeing movies that are centered on (American) minorities. I know how terrible that sounds but it wouldn’t be considered a confession if I was proud of it :o

I generally like sequels more than the originals: Shrek 2, Spider Man 2, etc.

Here’s the worst. And come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever said this out loud before.

Metallica is my favorite band, but I much much prefer their newer albums (specifically Load and Reload) over their older stuff.

[quote=“nearwildheaven, post:24, topic:779345”]

“Murmur” is my favorite R.E.M. album, and has been since I first heard it a couple weeks after its 1983 release.

The least popular R.E.M. song, per the band’s aficionados, is probably “Airportman”. I love that song, and always have.

[/QUOTE]

Jeez, next you’ll claim that Around the Sun is their finest album. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always liked TLC…what about your friends…:o

My opinion of nationally advertized fast food is pretty poor.

But…

God help me if I’m not being badly tempted by Taco Bell’s fried chicken-shell taco right now. I’ve been seeing these ads and cannot deny the pull toward the sticky floors of the Bell. I know it’s shit and the press release reads like a Simpson’s script but I’m not sure how much longer I can hold out.

I really only like one Rolling Stones song, “Gimme Shelter.”

The first couple of seasons of Seinfeld were kinda crappy.

Lady Gaga isn’t all that.

Limitless with Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro, on the other hand, obviously should’ve won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Score.

George R.R. Martin should finish up the damn Game of Thrones books already, and then write a sequel to Tuf Voyaging.

I’ve tried but couldn’t get into movies and TV shows that so many of you like. Like:

*The Princess Bride
Blazing Saddles
Willy Wonka

Dr. Who
Star Trek Voyager*
(and all subsequent Star Trek iterations)

But they all get a big meh from me. In particular, I feel I ought to like Dr. Who. I like science fiction, I like British television, I like the writers, but I just don’t care for this show.

Let’s see, what would embarrass me to admit liking? I like Mollie B’s Polka Party - it’s so foreign and exotic to me, a Californian, to see polka culture in the midwest. I like to watch hunting shows, and am not put off by seeing animals killed. And I’ve been watching the reruns of *The Lawrence Welk *Show that they’ve been playing lately.

I like most disco music. I’m a product of the 70’s, plus, as a bass player, some of those bass lines are killer- something that seems to have gone away a bit.

I also feel that hair metal is better than grunge. The hair metal guys seemed to care enough to actually practice and become good musicians. Perhaps a bit too willing to show that off, but still…

Speaking of which- I also love music put out for other musicians. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Stu Hamm and other chopmeisters.

Favorite band- Queen. Not that there’s anything to be ashamed about there. Also Rush. Can’t stand Dylan, the Doors, Neil Young.

I’m detecting a theme in my post. I come from a listening and performance background of classical music, got into fusion and jazz, then started listening to some rock. The stuff I like seldom has to do with lyrical content or vocals, but more from the level of interesting music behind it. I’m a big fan now of symphonic metal like Within Temptation and Nightwish.

Never saw Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, Mad Men, Sopranos. Not terribly interested.

I’ll go out of my way to not watch sports. Waste of time, money and brain capacity. (Probably a reaction to being abused by jocks when I was young. Assholes.)

I like the movie Streets Of Fire. Mostly for the music. I also like the Star Wars prequels.

There’s more. I have low tastes.