Cafe Society Confessions: What's yours?

I have regularly watched shows I couldn’t stand, just because they had hot women in them.

I’ve enjoyed a handful of episodes of the new Doctor Who (Eccleston and beyond), but I’ve found most episodes to be poorly-written and over-produced. All spectacle and no story.

I’ve tried to get through the first episode of Breaking Bad on three separate occasions. But I can’t do it. The thought of watching a good man turn into a criminal mastermind is just too depressing.

I can’t listen to Rush. The lead singer’s voice makes my skin crawl.

I thought Milli Vanilli had some great songs, and I still listen to them from time to time. After the lip synching scandal, the actual singers released another album (but it sold very poorly). One song on this album, “Hard as Hell,” sampled AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell.” I think the Real Milli Vanilli song is better than the AC/DC song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUHTJBcD6I

I thought this was supposed to be some kind of “Guilty pleasures” thread. Both of those are quite logical.

Mine: “Thelma and Louise” is not a Chick Flick. You’re supposed to feel sorry for them. There’s like ten times the psychological disintegration of the two (especially Geena) then there is some kind of feminist girl power stuff.

That isn’t exactly a fringe idea but I completely agree. I didn’t even realize who they were until about 7 years ago although I had heard the name. They turned out to be that band that I instinctively react to by changing the station as fast as humanly possible when they play a song on the radio. I forced myself to listen to a few whole songs as a challenge (that may have been more difficult than an intensive TSA screen) but I will never do it again. I hear they have amazing technical talent but I can’t take the lead singer’s voice. I am sure he is a great person but that simply isn’t something that I want to be subjected to.

[quote=“Ponch8, post:43, topic:779345”]

I thought Milli Vanilli had some great songs, and I still listen to them from time to time. After the lip synching scandal, the actual singers released another album (but it sold very poorly). One song on this album, “Hard as Hell,” sampled AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell.” I think the Real Milli Vanilli song is better than the AC/DC song.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love even the original Milli Vanilli and still listen to their songs regularly. The whole scandal was pretty dumb. I understand it was fraud in some sense but that doesn’t hold much weight in this era of autotune, lipsyncing and elaborate backup singers and dancers. A real band produced the hit songs and those are legitimate as any other from a radio standpoint. They were scammed as much as anyone and shouldn’t have been blackballed for it. Half the performers now can’t write songs or even sing. The pop music industry has gone full Johnny Bravo.

I don’t understand musicals.

Does anyone? I know I don’t either but the funniest are the mandatory ones in Indian Bollywood films. They basically require musical interludes even in action films. I deeply suspect they have no idea why they have them either.

I’ll deride anyone who purposeful orders/cooks/eats a filet mignon well done, but I have no problem with ketchup on a hot dog.

According to my wife, not everyone has to understand them to enjoy them, but I just can’t get there.

Wyatt Earp is superior to Tombstone. And I also enjoy watching The Postman.

I don’t like either Seinfeld or Friends. I will leave the room if anyone puts them on. On the other hand, I love the phony baloney paranormal shows. Much better comedy than the aforementioned series in my opinion.

I can’t abide Bob Dylan and think his music is overrated (and that voice! Yikes.). I also think the Beach Boys are a snore, even Pet Sounds. Yet I really enjoy Savage Garden and the various boy bands from back in the day and still listen to them regularly.

I enjoy the occasional Regency Romance.

There. I believe I have embarrassed myself enough for one evening.

Agreed on Wyatt Earp. Lots of people call “Tombstone” the greatest western ever. But it’s just a live action cartoon show. I do dig Kilmer and Biehn of course.

Not really a confession, but a remark about Breaking Bad and Mad Men, mentioned upthread. I watched a few episodes of each. I recognize and appreciate the writing, acting, and production values. They are definitely very high quality programs. But I just can’t deal with such grim, depressing fare anymore. I used to seek out dark, gloomy, unsettling art. I took my user name from a Faulkner character FFS (albeit one of the more heroic ones). Ever read Sanctuary? That’s some disturbing shit. But now, I just think, “I have problems of my own.” On the rare occasion I have time for TV or a movie or a novel, I don’t want to wind up feeling worse than I do on a normal day in my life.

As far as a confession, I dunno. I eat cupcakes with a fork. Some people look at me like I’m a fop when they see me do that. I just hate getting icing in my mustache.

Radiohead peaked with The Bends, and have been going downhill ever since.

I had the same experience with Ray Donovan not long ago: I watched the first two episodes, and thought to myself, “This is a well-made show about miserable people who are about to become a lot more miserable. Nothing good is going to come out of this.” I have’t watched any further.

Mad Men, though, is actually very funny and upbeat at times. You should give it a second chance.

[ul]
[li]Silly Love Songs and Wonderful Christmas Time are perfectly fine.[/li][li]There is not a single song by The Rolling Stones, The Who or Dylan that I consider great. A couple of good ones, half a dozen ok ones, and the rest is meh at best.[/li][li]I’m puzzled by adults who obsess over Harry Potter and Star Wars (and I was as much of fan of the latter as any kid born in the mid 70s could be). [/li][li]The last TV series I’m sort of familiar with is Lost. I distractedly watched 10 episodes or so in 2005. I’m vaguely aware of that Game of Thrones thing.[/li][li]I go to the cinema once a year at most. The reason I go is because there’s a movie that my daughters want to see. [/li][li]I’ve spent years looking for a movie that came out around 1987. The reason I’d like to know what it is is that I remember seeing a review in a German teen magazine and one of the pictures showed a very pretty woman with curly blonde hair sitting topless on a bed. At 13, I was very impressed with her… figure. The movie’s probably terrible and, 30 years later, I’m much more blasé about boobs but I still want to know what movie it was :rolleyes:.[/li][li]I used to read Playboy, but not for the articles.[/li][/ul]

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing any comic book/superhero movie.
mmm

I need to know – again!

I’m really not a movie person.

I don’t like committing myself to a TV series where you’re compelled not to miss any episodes. It’s one reason why I prefer reality competition shows: Those shows can stand alone, so I don’t feel bad if I miss an episode.

I’ve had Spotify on my phone for the last three months and I’ve only used it twice. Speaking of which, there must be a corollary between age and listening to certain types of music? I don’t meann the “get off my lawn” thing but maybe it has to do with one’s hearing?

Rather than confess in a way to throw shade at an icon, I’ll try to describe real limitations in my ability to appreciate Cafe Society stuff:

• I am largely self-taught in the various areas of culture I focus on, so my knowledge is all over the place. Huge gaps, and many opinions formed based on limited listening as I poke my nose around music, books, movies, etc.

• I don’t like art that makes me feel bad, or focuses on exploring fucked-up emotions. Lordy that sounds immature, but I remember finishing Scorsese’s Goodfellas and thinking “man that was brilliant, but I never want to experience that again.” I will never forgive David Fincher for Se7en. But I see the art in this type of stuff and know I have cut off vast branches of important art because it pings the wrong sensors too well.

• I hate “Rimbaud-based Artists” - Rimbaud was the child-prodigy French decadent poet, whose mission statement " ‘I’ is another" was his hand grenade thrown at convention. He explored this in his poetry and his life, having a scandalous homosexual affair with the poet Verlaine, showing up disheveled and messed up on booze and I think laudenaum or opium.

But even Rimbaud got tired of the willful silliness of being a bad boy. He rejected it wholly and became a gunrunner and brilliant businessman/merchant before dying in his 30’s of bone (?) cancer.

I wish someone would’ve told that to the Jim Morrison’s and Patti Smith’s of the world, and also Robert Mapplethorpe. Break some rules and some of the art is amazing. But i find the posing so tiresome that it becomes impossible to focus on the art.

Meh - ended up throwing shade anyway. I confess. :wink: